Mark Recchi hired as Assistant

4 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I hated him as a player. Anyone have a coaching history accounting ofe him?

He’s been coaching in Pittsburgh. Was part of the staff that won in 2016 and 2017. They didn’t renew his contract after this season. Hopefully this means Nas is gone.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't hate this. Although I should point out, he's certainly not going to be coaching the defense, so I am not sure that frees us of Nas. But it does demonstrate a willingness to change the coaching staff, which definitely bodes well for us. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't hate this. Although I should point out, he's certainly not going to be coaching the defense, so I am not sure that frees us of Nas. But it does demonstrate a willingness to change the coaching staff, which definitely bodes well for us. 

If not Nas, it probably means Kowalski is out. 

He was PP coach. Penguins PP with Recchi: 1st (26.2 percent) in 2017-18, 5th (24.6 percent) in 2018-19 and 16th (19.9 percent) this year.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah pretty much my thoughts.  I very much like the idea of "different" at this point.  

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah pretty much my thoughts.  I very much like the idea of "different" at this point.  

Exactly. At least look like you are trying. Keeping Gas and the other guys around doesn't give that impression. I would personally wipe the whole coaching staff clean and start over. It's time. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. At least look like you are trying. Keeping Gas and the other guys around doesn't give that impression. I would personally wipe the whole coaching staff clean and start over. It's time. 

If Nas is kept now, I'm really going to be in "WTF WHYYYYYY?!" mode.  Especially with the willingness to bring two brand-new (to us) names into the coaching staff fold.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm definitely in "clean sweep" camp. Get rid of them all, except the goalie coach as Blackwood looks pretty good under him.

the goalie coach was my goalie coach when i was younger, it's insane that he's coaching in my fav team now

• Like 3
  • Shocking 1
6 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm definitely in "clean sweep" camp. Get rid of them all, except the goalie coach as Blackwood looks pretty good under him.

That is a valid point, I think that’s a coach you keep. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the goalie coach was my goalie coach when i was younger, it's insane that he's coaching in my fav team now

Nope, fire him immediately. ;) 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the guy's obviously used to tough assignments then.

• Haha 6

I like this move.  Dude was a winner while a player (despised him for obvious reasons) and brings more experience to the bench.

Very, very curious to see how this plays out.  Also yeah fingers crossed Nas is gone, I've gotten to the point where I can't stand even looking at the dude.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Maybe they plan to keep Nas around just to keep some familiarity in the room among the staff. They can make him assistant to the assistant coach. 

dwight GIF

Assistant Coach and Chief Scapegoat. 

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I thought the goalie coach was let go last week (reported by DevilsInsiders on Twitter).

• Shocking 1
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Melanson was let go too.

28 minutes ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

I thought the goalie coach was let go last week (reported by DevilsInsiders on Twitter).

Well he's not on the staff directory on the teams site. It has Clemmenson as goalie & devolopment coach. I didn't even see a report that Melanson had been let go.

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t even remember hearing about that. 

Yeah I missed that also. Having Googled it, I see posts from Saturday where it was mentioned. I see nothing saying Clemmensen is in. 

I vote for @SterioDesign if for no other reason than you know he would have a sick 80's Horror or BTF mask. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I missed that also. Having Googled it, I see posts from Saturday where it was mentioned. I see nothing saying Clemmensen is in. 

I vote for @SterioDesign if for no other reason than you know he would have a sick 80's Horror or BTF mask. 

Clemmensen was the goalie coach in Binghamton I think. I was always a fan of his pad colors and designs and not a fan of his mobility and glove hand. 

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Clemmensen was the goalie coach in Binghamton I think. I was always a fan of his pad colors and designs and not a fan of his mobility and glove hand. 

That’s a fair assessment. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Nas is kept now, I'm really going to be in "WTF WHYYYYYY?!" mode.  Especially with the willingness to bring two brand-new (to us) names into the coaching staff fold.

The Devils had a little article about Recchi's history with Nas going back to Wilkes-Barre when Recchi was part of player development in Pit so interviewing both of them for that and then letting one go would be kinda funny