Nas back as an assistant - boooooooooooooooo

Colorado Rockies 1976

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lou's main contributions to the Isles so far:  naming Trotz to be his coach (was nice for Lou that Trotz was actually available, after winning a Cup no less, but at least he went right out and got him), and getting a lot out of Robin Lehner for one year and signing Varlamov to a reasonable deal (Greiss has also played better the past two seasons, which had helped).  Lou has also seen some nice play out of Greene (a guy most of us here were done with).   

Not saying that he had to build the Isles from the ground up or has performed miracles, but he's done some good things with the Isles to date.  Certainly hasn't hurt them.  

Of course. Never said he did a bad job. But as a GM you have to play with what you have and what's available. Sometime it's panning out and sometime it doesn't did everything he did in Toronto pan out? Well guess not. That's not on him either. On paper they have a good enough team that should do better. 

I was also pointing out how some people have blinders and miss context cause they see what they want to see. Which started this convo.. to say Andy Greene is now so much better under another coach, ignoring he was playing in VERY different situation and that now he's put in one where he has to skills to succeed. He was asked to do too much in NJ. So same goes with saying that the islanders are not great because of Lou is just ridiculous, sure he did good moves but the foundation was there, way easier to tweak a good roster than starting from scratch. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Do you guys ever get sick of having this same stupid conversation you’ve been having for five years? 

I'll keep having these until people keep poking me. Someone poked, i replied. 

59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'll keep having these until people keep poking me. Someone poked, i replied. 

Something a lot of posters here don’t realize for sure. Some folks like to declare “I’m done with this”, then they keep poking and get upset when you bring it back up. 

Not saying that’s what happened here, but it does happen. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Something a lot of posters here don’t realize for sure. Some folks like to declare “I’m done with this”, then they keep poking and get upset when you bring it back up. 

Not saying that’s what happened here, but it does happen. 

The endless references to 2015 and Lou potshots don't help. 

I made the Lou comment "tongue in cheek". I didn't mean to release old demons. I do recall though people laughing at his acquisitions after Tavares left, considering them "panic moves" and considering them to be in a worse shape than we were. You have to give the guy some credit, a lot of those players didn't just fall into his lap.

3 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

I made the Lou comment "tongue in cheek". I didn't mean to release old demons. I do recall though people laughing at his acquisitions after Tavares left, considering them "panic moves" and considering them to be in a worse shape than we were. You have to give the guy some credit, a lot of those players didn't just fall into his lap.

Lehner did work out beautifully for Lou...that was a fine "upside" signing (and I can understand why Lou decided that just one season of Lehner might be the best way to go).  

Trotz at least brought a solid track record with him too...one of those guys who can instill a game plan on the ice.  I'm very much hoping Ruff can do something similar for the Devils.

25 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The endless references to 2015 and Lou potshots don't help. 

And this is really my only beef with SD, who I get along with quite well most of the time these days.  It's not like someone's always poking the bear...he does bring this stuff up without being provoked.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And this is really my only beef with SD, who I get along with quite well most of the time these days.  It's not like someone's always poking the bear...he does bring this stuff up without being provoked.   

Exactly. Simply mentioning Lou’s name isn’t Morse code to exhume the same horse that’s been beaten into ashes so we can beat the ashes into dust. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To be fair, that's not what happened. He was sarcastically referred to as a "visionary". You have to know that's going to get SD worked up.

Didn't say that's exactly what happened this time in particular.  But that has happened plenty of times.  

At this point, I'm just ready to see what Fitz's ultimate plan is, and to chat about that...Lou had his run and Shero had his...there's not much more to say about them than we already have on this board (my post re:  Lou this time strictly pertained to his Islander reign). 

Fitz has been waiting to be a NHL GM for many years.  I have a feeling he's going to be a good one...I just hope it's here, in his first go-round.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Didn't say that's exactly what happened this time in particular.  But that has happened plenty of times.  

At this point, I'm just ready to see what Fitz's ultimate plan is, and to chat about that...Lou had his run and Shero had his...there's not much more to say about them than we already have on this board (my post re:  Lou this time strictly pertained to his Islander reign). 

Fitz has been waiting to be a NHL GM for many years.  I have a feeling he's going to be a good one...I just hope it's here, in his first go-round.  

Supposedly, he is a guy teams were high on if the Devils didn't make him the full time GM. I'm hoping he learned the best of Shero and maybe with his own spin. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't disagree, I don't think about Lou at all anymore. Or Ray, for that matter. If you aren't looking ahead, you're falling behind, or whatever that saying is. 

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You don't see it the same way cause we don't see the situation the same way, you know that. We still feel the ripples of Lou and Conte BIG TIME.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing posters who have the same tunnel vision "we must get results NOW no matter what so let's go and fvck the consequences and if it's impacting us negatively in the future" and who backed 100% of Lou's desperate moves of patchwork and going all-in, losing players left and right, failing to deal with conte who failed at his job for over a decade which all together ran the team to the ground to the point of hitting absolute rock bottom. (in which you simply cannot rebuild in a few years). Now whining that we suck and bitching about the new GMs for not doing enough and getting better results. You basically asked for this. It's like blindly spending money then whining that you're broke. I mean what did you think was going to happen?

So when i see this, it's provoking to me

9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Supposedly, he is a guy teams were high on if the Devils didn't make him the full time GM. I'm hoping he learned the best of Shero and maybe with his own spin. 

That'd be ideal. I just hope he's given a fair shot and the tools  to succeed... and i hope luck is on his side, cause that's a huge part of being succesful as a gM

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You don't see it the same way cause we don't see the situation the same way, you know that. We still feel the ripples of Lou and Conte BIG TIME.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing posters who have the same tunnel vision "we must get results NOW no matter what so let's go and fvck the consequences and if it's impacting us negatively in the future" and who backed 100% of Lou's desperate moves of patchwork and going all-in, losing players left and right, failing to deal with conte who failed at his job for over a decade which all together ran the team to the ground to the point of hitting absolute rock bottom. (in which you simply cannot rebuild in a few years). Now whining that we suck and bitching about the new GMs for not doing enough and getting better results. You basically asked for this. It's like blindly spending money then whining that you're broke. I mean what did you think was going to happen?

So when i see this, it's provoking to me

Nobody sees it the way you are describing it.  You are arguing with the IDEA of some imaginary poster.  We all know that Conte didn't pick us winners and that Lou patched the roster with under performing, budget vets.  We know.  It's annoying to read in ever thread.  Nobody is provoking you because we know you won't shut up about it.

37 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Nobody sees it the way you are describing it.  You are arguing with the IDEA of some imaginary poster.  We all know that Conte didn't pick us winners and that Lou patched the roster with under performing, budget vets.  We know.  It's annoying to read in ever thread.  Nobody is provoking you because we know you won't shut up about it.

Pretty much this.  It's simply unnecessary and counterproductive at this point.  

Anyway, back on topic, as far as Nas goes...I have a feeling this next run here for him is going to be short-lived...maybe just one season.  I think when the D fails to make much progress under him (regardless of who he has to work with), the Devils will simply move on.   I know he hasn't had top-notch defensemen, but there's just not much that points to him making much of an impact (or ever having made a positive one).  Guess if the PK continues to be solid, that buys him a little time.  But being a holdover from a staff that had little success wouldn't make me feel terribly safe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If we aren't allowed to do unnecessary and counterproductive, you're taking away like 90% of my material!!

Except that that 90% has a way of making me laugh my ass off.  And sure garners a hell of a lot of likes...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Well that's just not true, not my problem if you didn't read or see. I sure did i had MANY discussions about it so i know.

Seeing many posters being like... "even if we only have a 0.5% chance at playoffs / cup we HAVE to go for it, once you're in you never know" even if it means getting u a worst pick or wtv, is when i understood that whole thing comes from a certain mentality and that we'd simply never agree on that subject.

How many times did we see posters being like "Ray's record speak for itself, only made the playoffs once in 5 years!" completely ignoring what he had to work with and that it was really unrealistic to expect and unfair to pin on him with that roster he got. And the one year we made it, it required miracles basically. 

Edited by SterioDesign

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

That'd be ideal. I just hope he's given a fair shot and the tools  to succeed... and i hope luck is on his side, cause that's a huge part of being succesful as a gM

I think he's got a good foundation. Blackwood could be shaping up to be a starter. We are set at center for a while, plus this draft could be huge. He is really in prime position to build off of Shero and has the team turn the corner in the next couple of seasons. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's just not true, not my problem if you didn't read or see. I sure did i had MANY discussions about it so i know.

Seeing many posters being like... "even if we only have a 0.5% chance at playoffs / cup we HAVE to go for it, once you're in you never know" even if it means getting u a worst pick or wtv, is when i understood that whole thing comes from a certain mentality and that we'd simply never agree on that subject.

How many times did we see posters being like "Ray's record speak for itself, only made the playoffs once in 5 years!" completely ignoring what he had to work with and that it was really unrealistic to expect and unfair to pin on him with that roster he got. And the one year we made it, it required miracles basically. 

cmon, guys.
SD, Of course, everyone really knows that Lou fvcked up with Conte. Not only with him. And his fire was fair. Everyone is just grateful for all the good things that have happened in the franchise's history. Everyone understands that Shero had to build everything from ruines. Absolutely everyone, except mfitz, loves our players. Many even like Zacha. Almost all like Hughes. But Shero was really trying to sit on two chairs and make a quick rebild. It didn't work out. Thanks him  very much for the trades, and for the fact that some of the draftyears came out really well. But he was also fired on business.
We've said this many times before. People know your position. Everyone knows what happened and how it happened. Everyone puts accents in their own way. This can't be affected.
Let's just move on. Here we should criticize or praise Fitz for saving Nasruddin's job.

Edited by Guadana