Nas back as an assistant - boooooooooooooooo

Colorado Rockies 1976

Our defense has been terrible for years, the common thread has been Nas, Ruff makes his first bad decision as coach by keeping that moron. Beyond disappointed in this.

The only hope is getting him away from his brain dead DBA buddy forces him to not hide under the blanket of that man’s incompetence.

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Mehh i honestly think Nas is more a victim / scapegoat than anything that fans take out their frustration on. It's always easier to blame one person and people need a villain to put the blame on to feel better. 

So you’re denying that not a single defenseman made any real strides under him? Has nothing to do with being a “scapegoat” or whatever. His results (or lack of) speaks for itself. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So you’re denying that not a single defenseman made any real strides under him? Has nothing to do with being a “scapegoat” or whatever. His results (or lack of) speaks for itself. 

You aren’t wrong, but we’ve also been trying to pretend that Damon Severson is our best defenseman, at least when Vatanen wasn’t injured, which was all the time. 

The best example of what you are saying, ouch, is Butcher. I was hopeful he’d be something by now that he really hasn’t shown signs of becoming in a while. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You aren’t wrong, but we’ve also been trying to pretend that Damon Severson is our best defenseman, at least when Vatanen wasn’t injured, which was all the time. 

The best example of what you are saying, ouch, is Butcher. I was hopeful he’d be something by now that he really hasn’t shown signs of becoming in a while. 

Honestly Butcher has regressed. He was apparently a stud at Denver (Hobey Baker award) and obviously had a great rookie season in the NHL, but he’s been brutal the last couple years. Severson has never gotten any better in his own zone under Nas. Greene goes to NY and instantly looks a million times better. Mueller has been a disaster...

I don’t get this one bit. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Honestly Butcher has regressed. He was apparently a stud at Denver (Hobey Baker award) and obviously had a great rookie season in the NHL, but he’s been brutal the last couple years. Severson has never gotten any better in his own zone under Nas. Greene goes to NY and instantly looks a million times better. Mueller has been a disaster...

I don’t get this one bit. 

Yeah this isn't about trying to find a "scapegoat" or a "villain".  It's about Nas not exactly making much of an impact in his time here with the D.  There was a time when the Devils found ways to get decent stretches out of guys like Mike Mottau and Sheldon Brookbank.  

I just don't get why with all of the change, it's friggin' Nas who gets to stay.  Not feelin' this.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really denying anything but what i'm describing is happening all the time in sports. I'm also not saying i think Nas is an amazing coach but I simply don't think he's as bad as the fans WANT to believe. The whole "i'm gonna torch down my whole town and hunt down every panda bear on earth if he's back behind the bench" is a bit ridiculous. 

There's just SO many factors. These guys were also there when we went on a ridiculous streak and made the playoffs with a sh!t team. (But then same thing, people can only attribute good things to one person lol it was just Hall then... But oh..? Hall was also there when the team sucked with those coaches later?) We've seen coaches blamed for sh!t completely out of their control, all the time. Our goalies were HORRIBLE early, they literally couldn't stop a beach ball, would get beat by unscreened shots no matter what our players would do and the whole blame was somehow on strictly on Hynes then. Like when our goalie couldn't eat the puck... let it trickle behind him and McDavid pushed it in. That was apparently Hynes fault according to many. I mean come on. Again, that's also not saying Hynes was a great coach but some people need to chill.

Edited by SterioDesign

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not really denying anything but what i'm describing is happening all the time in sports. I'm also not saying i think Nas is an amazing coach but I simply don't think he's as bad as the fans WANT to believe. The whole "i'm gonna torch down my whole town and hunt down every panda bear on earth if he's back behind the bench" is a bit ridiculous. 

There's just SO many factors. These guys were also there when we went on a ridiculous streak and made the playoffs with a sh!t team. (But then same thing, people can only attribute good things to one person lol it was just Hall then... But oh..? Hall was also there when the team sucked with those coaches later?) We've seen coaches blamed for sh!t completely out of their control, all the time. Our goalies were HORRIBLE early, they literally couldn't stop a beach ball, would get beat by unscreened shots no matter what our players would do and the whole blame was somehow on strictly on Hynes then. Like when our goalie couldn't eat the puck... let it trickle behind him and McDavid pushed it in. That was apparently Hynes fault according to many. I mean come on. Again, that's also not saying Hynes was a great coach but some people need to chill.

Kind of the point I was trying to make. To blame the defensive coach when your best young d-man is probably a 3rd pair guy at best anywhere else doesn’t really make sense to me. 

I don’t think Nas is a great coach, but he also wasn’t given a ton to work with. 

#SaveThePandas

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The bolded isn't wrong, and unfortunately I think one of the factors that resulted in Nas staying was Blackwood getting red hot (hell, almost all of the goaltenders played better under Nas, even Cory) which made the team appear to "improve" under Nas.  If Nas had gotten the same rotten goaltending that plagued Hynes, is he still here?  I can't help but wonder about that.  

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Kind of the point I was trying to make. To blame the defensive coach when your best young d-man is probably a 3rd pair guy at best anywhere else doesn’t really make sense to me. 

I don’t think Nas is a great coach, but he also wasn’t given a ton to work with. 

#SaveThePandas

Severson is not a 3rd pairing guy. He could easily play top 4 on most teams around the league.  And like CR76 pointed out other coaches used to be able to get more out of mediocre players all the time.  

I also look at how much better Greene has been in NY under Trotz and a better coaching staff. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Severson is not a 3rd pairing guy. He could easily play top 4 on most teams around the league.  

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

EDIT: Changed my mind, I agree with that, he could but he would still suck a lot of the time. But he could be on some teams' second pairing. Not a first pairing guy on any team in my opinion. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

Then I really question how closely you pay attention to other teams. Severson is far from perfect, but he’s absolutely a 2nd pairing guy on most teams. You could probably count on one hand the number of teams deep enough to have him on the 3rd pairing. 

I'm not a fan of this but as much as I thought the defense was terrible at 5v5 under Nas the PK also has looked damn good most of the time. As his head coach is no longer his best buddy hopefully he'll be held more accountable. I'm assuming that Ruff will be implementing a different system and that'll include the defense, no? Maybe it'll bring out the best in Nas as well as some of our under performing players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Meh, if you're going to clean house, clean it properly. This is half assed and I don't care for it. 

This does feel a total thud at the end, after some surprising moves (wasn't expecting Ruff as HC and Recchi as an AC)...I gotta think there was someone out there who could've been a fit and brought something new in Nas' role.        

BUT, guess I'll take Aitchmack's approach and hope that Nas can somehow show more than he did here previously.  Nas ain't going anywhere for the moment.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded isn't wrong, and unfortunately I think one of the factors that resulted in Nas staying was Blackwood getting red hot (hell, almost all of the goaltenders played better under Nas, even Cory) which made the team appear to "improve" under Nas.  If Nas had gotten the same rotten goaltending that plagued Hynes, is he still here?  I can't help but wonder about that.  

Well if one coach was fired in part for bad goaltending... and another was kept because of good goaltending...  it's hard to really gauge things isnt it? lol

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Severson is not a 3rd pairing guy. He could easily play top 4 on most teams around the league.  And like CR76 pointed out other coaches used to be able to get more out of mediocre players all the time.  

I also look at how much better Greene has been in NY under Trotz and a better coaching staff. 

Context matter.

He was playing 20+ minutes and playing against top lines in NJ and in NY he's on the 3rd pairing playing like 15-16 minutes.

I mean OF COURSE Trotz is a better coach. But he also have WAYYYYYYYY better tools at his disposal. When you can lose Tavares without skipping a beat... you had a great roster to work with, something we do not have.