Islanders’ Lou Lamoriello named NHL’s GM of the Year

msweet

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

He did fine but I honestly don't see the genius though. If we're looking at the big picture... sure it's a great headline to say "went from no playoffs to the finals in 2 years... but they were already basically there with the same roster the 2 years before that. The Islanders as been a playoffs/bubble team since like 2013. Look at the Islanders roster from this season. Out of the top 15 in points, its basically all players that's been in the islanders system for years. Brassard and Komarov are the only 2 Lou brought and they were not part of the top top scorers either.

Lou came in in 2018. Got Tortz, which was a great move but how many options did Tortz really had? Then got filpula, komarov, sbisa and martin... lost Tavares, De Haan, Halak and Wagner. If we're honest, on paper is that really a good trade off in term of roster moves? Not a soul on earth would pick Filpula and Komarov instead of Tavares and De Haan? lol

Then this season he got Greene, Pageau, Varlamorv and Brassard. Lost Lehner, Filpula and Sbisa. This year is a better trade off but is it like... that crazy?

I don't know, I mean Tortz is a big help obviously and Varlamorv too. But other than that, i see most of the success they are having due to Barzal developing very nicely, same with Beauvilier and Pullock. Which were all there when Lou came in. Then players like Nelson, Lee (who Lou let walk), Eberle, Bailey etc etc... all their top players who were also already there.

I don't want to sound like im taking to take away credits from him. He did good. But i'm just challenging the whole "Lou brought the team to the conference finals".. like he made insane moves and reshaped that team completely. Like what sort of acrobatic paper moves, loopsided trades, amazing team friendly/amazing value signings or cap bending moves did he do? Honestly? They were going to be good no matter what. Just take out barzal of that team and we're not having the same discussion right now too

1993202539_ScreenShot2020-09-27at9_01_06PM.thumb.png.f395aa70b744c0c2b337df29b4258dc2.png

"Would have been good no matter what?" 

Come on man. We get it. You hate Lou. 

Ok fine. What did Shero do for Pittsburgh? Crosby and Malkin and Fleury and Letang were already there when he became GM. They would have been good matter what. 

Every successful GM in history inherited players. 

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

"Would have been good no matter what?" 

Come on man. We get it. You hate Lou. 

Ok fine. What did Shero do for Pittsburgh? Crosby and Malkin and Fleury and Letang were already there when he became GM. They would have been good matter what. 

Every successful GM in history inherited players. 

I don't hate Lou. I challenged the notion that "Lou brought them to the conference final" like it was a miracle. I brought many good points showing that the team was already well on the way and had a solid roster, can you deny that? Can you deny or disprove anything i brought up or you'll purely rely on picking apart on one line i said and take it out of context completely. Is that the best you got?

as for Shero in Pittsburgh... the first 2 seasons he was there... he brought in Recchi, Ruutu, Eaton, Staal, Roberts, Laracque, Sydor, Sykora, Taffe, Hossa, Dupuis, Gill...

That's a way better haul than Filpula, Komarov, Brassard, Greene, Pageau and Varlamorv... and some of those players had a HUGE impact on their first cup win.

Also he didn't lose any player of Tavares (not blaming him for that one though) and De Haan caliber in pittsburgh. He made sure Staal either re-signed or got traded. Same with Letang etc etc And again, he totally let his captain walk. 

His best move was getting Trotz. First, obviously getting a coach who just won the cup is a no-brainer. So again, im bringing this up cause some people here are acting like Lou made something incredible happen that nobody else could of, i remember reading people here saying stuff like "Tortz only took the job in NY because of Lou" etc.. what else was he going to do? Secondly, the Capitals weren't willing to pay top dollar to keep Trotz so he resigned. Lou stepped in and offered him more than double what he would have made in Washington and it was literally the only job available at that time. The Hurricane and the Rangers got a new coach in May 2018... Tortz got the job in June and the next hiring was when Craig Berube went from assistant coach to head coach when Mike Yeo got fired in like November. There was no other available job lol Tortz left Washington... there was ONE job available. The team had a great roster who were underachieving, then there was still a chance to coach Tavares one of the league's best player and Barzal just won the Calder. Plus he offered him twice the money he was offered at his last job. 

Edited by SterioDesign

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

His are often hard to read, too...

Really?  I use paragraphs all of the time.  But if you're going the cell phone route, yeah, even shorter posts are going the get that "Wall of Text" look.  

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't hate Lou. I challenged the notion that "Lou brought them to the conference final" like it was a miracle. I brought many good points showing that the team was already well on the way and had a solid roster, can you deny that? Can you deny or disprove anything i brought up or you'll purely rely on picking apart on one line i said and take it out of context completely. Is that the best you got?

as for Shero in Pittsburgh... the first 2 seasons he was there... he brought in Recchi, Ruutu, Eaton, Staal, Roberts, Laracque, Sydor, Sykora, Taffe, Hossa, Dupuis, Gill...

That's a way better haul than Filpula, Komarov, Brassard, Greene, Pageau and Varlamorv... and some of those players had a HUGE impact on their first cup win.

Also he didn't lose any player of Tavares (not blaming him for that one though) and De Haan caliber in pittsburgh. He made sure Staal either re-signed or got traded. Same with Letang etc etc And again, he totally let his captain walk. 

His best move was getting Trotz. First, obviously getting a coach who just won the cup is a no-brainer. So again, im bringing this up cause some people here are acting like Lou made something incredible happen that nobody else could of, i remember reading people here saying stuff like "Tortz only took the job in NY because of Lou" etc.. what else was he going to do? Secondly, the Capitals weren't willing to pay top dollar to keep Trotz so he resigned. Lou stepped in and offered him more than double what he would have made in Washington and it was literally the only job available at that time. The Hurricane and the Rangers got a new coach in May 2018... Tortz got the job in June and the next hiring was when Craig Berube went from assistant coach to head coach when Mike Yeo got fired in like November. There was no other available job lol Tortz left Washington... there was ONE job available. The team had a great roster who were underachieving, then there was still a chance to coach Tavares one of the league's best player and Barzal just won the Calder. Plus he offered him twice the money he was offered at his last job. 

No one said it was a miracle. What did Lou do that was so special? He got results. He took a perennial out-of-playoffs or 1st round loser to the conference finals for the first time in 27 years and got the players needed to compliment the guys he already had after losing his top center and captain. I don't deny the team had good pieces in place, but they weren't exactly the 1970's Canadiens. And a committee of the other 30 gm's and whatever execs decided he did the best job putting a team together this year. I didn't say he was the best GM. People who literally put teams together did. Honestly they should probably just keep giving the best GM to Yzerman until Tampa is bad again even though he's in Detroit now because that's a well built team. 

Shero walked into Pittsburgh with a generational talent already there in Crosby, plus Malkin, Fleury, Letang, and a number 2 overall pick which became Staal. Who else did he draft of note? Jake Muzzin? 

Then they won in 2009, and then underperform in the playoffs and lose to lower seeds for 5 straight years and then they fire him. Then he comes here and does 5 years of the second round pick merry-go-round. 

As for Trotz, he could have waited for something else. Plenty of coaches do that. He specifically said "when Lou calls, you answer the phone." I don't know if he would have done the same for Garth Snow. 

Additionally, I was responding to CR1976 and said I hope Fitz can turn it around but I think it'll take a few years. I'm not sure why you then blew it up into your usual anti-Lou diatribe. 

47 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

No one said it was a miracle. What did Lou do that was so special? He got results. He took a perennial out-of-playoffs or 1st round loser to the conference finals for the first time in 27 years and got the players needed to compliment the guys he already had after losing his top center and captain. I don't deny the team had good pieces in place, but they weren't exactly the 1970's Canadiens. And a committee of the other 30 gm's and whatever execs decided he did the best job putting a team together this year. I didn't say he was the best GM. People who literally put teams together did. Honestly they should probably just keep giving the best GM to Yzerman until Tampa is bad again even though he's in Detroit now because that's a well built team. 

Shero walked into Pittsburgh with a generational talent already there in Crosby, plus Malkin, Fleury, Letang, and a number 2 overall pick which became Staal. Who else did he draft of note? Jake Muzzin? 

Then they won in 2009, and then underperform in the playoffs and lose to lower seeds for 5 straight years and then they fire him. Then he comes here and does 5 years of the second round pick merry-go-round. 

As for Trotz, he could have waited for something else. Plenty of coaches do that. He specifically said "when Lou calls, you answer the phone." I don't know if he would have done the same for Garth Snow. 

Additionally, I was responding to CR1976 and said I hope Fitz can turn it around but I think it'll take a few years. I'm not sure why you then blew it up into your usual anti-Lou diatribe. 

Well you just made my point. It's like if someone would say Julien Brisebois led the Lightning to the cup finals and probably the cup. Because he got the players needed to compliment the guys he already had. Nobody would say that. Sure he made good moves but the big part of the job was already done. It's like 95% Yzerman. Again, to make it THIS far without their captain, you need a VERY strong roster. Just like the islanders who went on without Tavares. They simply finally got their sh!t together and grew as a team, there's so many factors at play. Bottom line, they've had the players to make it happen.

Edited by SterioDesign

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you just made my point. It's like if someone would say Julien Brisebois led the Lightning to the cup finals and probably the cup. Because he got the players needed to compliment the guys he already had. Nobody would say that. Sure he made good moves but the big part of the job was already done. It's like 95% Yzerman. Again, to make it THIS far without their captain, you need a VERY strong roster. Just like the islanders who went on without Tavares. They simply finally got their sh!t together and grew as a team, there's so many factors at play. Bottom line, they've had the players to make it happen.

I didn't make your point, unless your point is that Garth Snow was brilliant and his 12 year plan coincidentally paid off the year that he was fired. 

Maybe Snow can come here and work his magic so we'll be all set in the mid 2030's 

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I didn't make your point, unless your point is that Garth Snow was brilliant and his 12 year plan coincidentally paid off the year that he was fired. 

Maybe Snow can come here and work his magic so we'll be all set in the mid 2030's 

If he does, I call dibs on constantly calling him "a bastard from the North".

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i don't see why we can't get back to pics which haven't been discussed ad nauseam, like whether Zacha is a bust, whether Hughes is an elite skater, and whether there is in fact a Central Jersey and if so, what cities are part of it?

Central Jersey is in that magical space when you're driving on the parkway and you kind of zone out for an hour and then you start passing the shore points. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

First of all you say "He took a perennial out-of-playoffs or 1st round loser to the conference finals for the first time in 27 years". (after i literally posted a screenshot showing they made it to the 2nd round few seasons ago but wtv...)

Are you not aware of how teams get different results one year to the other?

You preached Yzerman. Let's use them. They've been a roller coaster under the same GM and coach. It's always going to be about the players getting it done or not. They literally went from conference finals to miss the playoffs to conference finals to getting swept in the first round to potentially winning the cup. See how that's all over the place? All under the same people. Results are different every seasons for SO many reasons. 

But sure. Look at this Islanders roster now who's basically the same core MINUS 2 of their best players, replaced with lesser players. They went from 2nd round exit to no playoffs (eventhough they were tied in points with another wild card but lost the tiebreaker) to no playoffs under a bad coach to 2nd round exit and now conference finals. But THIS is all on the GM of the last 2 seasons. But.... Tampa success is because of Yzerman (it is). See how you're dancing around all that just to believe what you want to believe?

We could argue that bringing in Coleman, Shattenkirk, Schenn, Maroon is pretty close / equivalent to Lou bringing in Komarov, Greene, Pageau, Varlamorv and Brassard. The coaching change was the biggest difference. In both cases it's still the same core from years ago getting it done right now. But then we can nitpick saying it only took Brisebois one year and it took Lou 2 years right? lol I'm certainly not praising Snow but to pretend like the players he brought in are not the ones getting it done right now is ridiculous.

Only looking at results ignoring context is never ever the way to go. 

Edited by SterioDesign

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

First of all you say "He took a perennial out-of-playoffs or 1st round loser to the conference finals for the first time in 27 years". (after i literally posted a screenshot showing they made it to the 2nd round few seasons ago but wtv...)

Are you not aware of how teams get different results one year to the other?

You preached Yzerman. Let's use them. They've been a roller coaster under the same GM and coach. It's always going to be about the players getting it done or not. They literally went from conference finals to miss the playoffs to conference finals to getting swept in the first round to potentially winning the cup. See how that's all over the place? All under the same people. Results are different every seasons for SO many reasons. 

But sure. Look at this Islanders roster now who's basically the same core MINUS 2 of their best players, replaced with lesser players. They went from 2nd round exit to no playoffs (eventhough they were tied in points with another wild card but lost the tiebreaker) to no playoffs under a bad coach to 2nd round exit and now conference finals. But THIS is all on the GM of the last 2 seasons. But.... Tampa success is because of Yzerman (it is). See how you're dancing around all that just to believe what you want to believe?

We could argue that bringing in Coleman, Shattenkirk, Schenn, Maroon is pretty close / equivalent to Lou bringing in Komarov, Greene, Pageau, Varlamorv and Brassard. The coaching change was the biggest difference. In both cases it's still the same core from years ago getting it done right now. But then we can nitpick saying it only took Brisebois one year and it took Lou 2 years right? lol I'm certainly not praising Snow but to pretend like the players he brought in are not the ones getting it done right now is ridiculous.

Only looking at results ignoring context is never ever the way to go. 

Its a results driven league, man. Whether you like it or not, the results are what ultimately matters. No one wants to suck for 8-10 years because of good paper moves. It was speculated that Tampa would be blown up if they botched the playoffs again because they weren't getting the results. 

And I will also reiterate: I DID NOT VOTE FOR THE BEST GM. A committee of GMs and executives did. I just see why they would come to that conclusion, even if I personally don't think the Isles are the best put together team right now. 

Second reiteration: ALL I DID WAS SAY (to someone else) THAT I HOPE FITZ CAN TURN THINGS AROUND. How did that set off your Lou-Is-A-Doody-Head radar? 

43 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Its a results driven league, man. Whether you like it or not, the results are what ultimately matters. No one wants to suck for 8-10 years because of good paper moves. It was speculated that Tampa would be blown up if they botched the playoffs again because they weren't getting the results. 

And I will also reiterate: I DID NOT VOTE FOR THE BEST GM. A committee of GMs and executives did. I just see why they would come to that conclusion, even if I personally don't think the Isles are the best put together team right now. 

Second reiteration: ALL I DID WAS SAY (to someone else) THAT I HOPE FITZ CAN TURN THINGS AROUND. How did that set off your Lou-Is-A-Doody-Head radar? 

Are you serious? I don't even remember you saying anything about Fitz.

You said "He did a good job of adding the right pieces for the Isles as well. Going from no playoffs to conference finals in 2 years is a nice jump." 

I replied that he did a good job but i explained why i felt Islanders we're already well on their way to do well but underachieved 2 years in a row before going back to where they were. That they current core and top players are still the same from when they were in the second round of the players a few seasons ago before sh!tting the bed. That the evolution of their young player had a lot to do with their success etc etc" Lou helped but i didn't feel he did anything extraordinary. He brought in Tortz, but like i also explained. Tortz was leaving Wash and they were the only available job. 

Then you went

"Would have been good no matter what?" Come on man. We get it. You hate Lou. "all GM inherit from good players" and doubled down on Tortz could have waited for something else or wtv. And threw Shero under the bus.

But sure. All you did was hoping Fitz could turn things around and my Lou-Is-A-Doody-Head radar went on over nothing lol 

Edited by SterioDesign

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Are you serious? I don't even remember you saying anything about Fitz.

You said "He did a good job of adding the right pieces for the Isles as well. Going from no playoffs to conference finals in 2 years is a nice jump." 

I replied that he did a good job but i explained why i felt Islanders we're already well on their way to do well but underachieved 2 years in a row before going back to where they were. That they current core and top players are still the same from when they were in the second round of the players a few seasons ago before sh!tting the bed. That the evolution of their young player had a lot to do with their success etc etc" Lou helped but i didn't feel he did anything extraordinary. He brought in Tortz, but like i also explained. Tortz was leaving Wash and they were the only available job. 

Then you went

"Would have been good no matter what?" Come on man. We get it. You hate Lou. "all GM inherit from good players" and doubled down on Tortz could have waited for something else or wtv. And threw Shero under the bus.

But sure. All you did was hoping Fitz could turn things around and my Lou-Is-A-Doody-Head radar went on over nothing lol 

I said this: 

"

"Yeah I agree. He did a good job of adding the right pieces for the Isles as well. Going from no playoffs to conference finals in 2 years is a nice jump. I really would love to see us make that kind of jump too but sadly I think it's gonna be a lot longer than 2 years. 

I liked Shero and his ideas but unfortunately a lot of his moves just didn't pan out right. I'd really like to feel like we aren't just spinning our wheels soon."

I did not call Lou a genius. I gave him credit for adding the right pieces, and said its a nice jump. I didn't give him all the credit. Then I said I'd love us to have that kind of improvement (Fitz is our GM so you see, he would be the one helping us make that jump)

And where did I throw Shero under the bus? A lot of his moves didn't pan out. That's just reality. 

Stop making up an argument that isn't there. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I said this: 

"

"Yeah I agree. He did a good job of adding the right pieces for the Isles as well. Going from no playoffs to conference finals in 2 years is a nice jump. I really would love to see us make that kind of jump too but sadly I think it's gonna be a lot longer than 2 years. 

I liked Shero and his ideas but unfortunately a lot of his moves just didn't pan out right. I'd really like to feel like we aren't just spinning our wheels soon."

I did not call Lou a genius. I gave him credit for adding the right pieces, and said its a nice jump. I didn't give him all the credit. Then I said I'd love us to have that kind of improvement (Fitz is our GM so you see, he would be the one helping us make that jump)

And where did I throw Shero under the bus? A lot of his moves didn't pan out. That's just reality. 

Stop making up an argument that isn't there. 

And i was simply responding to your post and also to buddy who said "Takes an Isles team that loses their best player in Tavares and leads them to the conference finals."

I would have said the same exact thing about someone saying Brisebois took the Lightning to the conference finals like he singlehandedly did it. Not saying you said that but buddy did

edit: Well according to your views of looking blindly at results without context and that's all that matters... Congrats to Maroon for singlehandedly bring the cup to St-Louis then to Tampa. He's the only logical reason both teams won right? 

Edited by SterioDesign