The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

7 hours ago, devlman said:

I wonder if there is a single Devils fan, alive or passed, that was a Devils fan because they followed the franchise from Colorado/KC. Because to your point, none of us give a crap about the years prior to NJ. 

I am one of them and still alive.

• Like 3

I don't understand what all the rancor is about the Devils honoring past franchises by wearing jerseys. What, you are all such devoted fans that the sight of your players in another uniform offends you? The team does it to sell merchandise and yes, to make a select group of fans happy. Like StarDew, I am one and still alive. Funny, people are all for the Christmas tree jerseys but not the Rockies jerseys.  I didn't realize the younger generation were suc hockey purists. Or, just maybe, some people love to complain about anything. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

I don't understand what all the rancor is about the Devils honoring past franchises by wearing jerseys. What, you are all such devoted fans that the sight of your players in another uniform offends you? The team does it to sell merchandise and yes, to make a select group of fans happy. Like StarDew, I am one and still alive. Funny, people are all for the Christmas tree jerseys but not the Rockies jerseys.  I didn't realize the younger generation were suc hockey purists. Or, just maybe, some people love to complain about anything. 

I don't think it's that absurd that they feel apathetic about celebrating the team when they weren't in their current city..

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

To be fair, I also don't really like the Christmas tree jerseys either. Red and black makes sense for a Devil, and I don't really understand some people's push to bring it back full time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SC Devs Fan said:

You're creating an argument/fight where there isn't one.  Just because a lot of young whipper-snappers don't see things the way that you do on this particular topic and dare to express an opinion about it doesn't make them over-the-top purists or complainers by default.  

Compared to the OVERALL fanbase, it's a very minuscule group that has any considerable interest in the pre-NJ days of the franchise.  There's fans like me that did take a very active interest in reading and learning about the franchise's roots and previous stops (especially as that info became more and more accessible online...I know quite a bit about the Scouts and Rockies), but most couldn't care less.  Even now, there's Devils fans who see fans at games wearing a Rockies or Scouts jersey and still don't know who those teams were (I know because when I would wear them to games, I'd get asked).  When I used to wear my blue Resch Rockies jersey, I even got booed a few times because from a distance, some fans thought I was wearing a friggin' RANGERS jersey.  

At least the Christmas Tree jerseys are ones that many older fans are familiar with having seen on the ice full-time, as that's what was worn from the inaugural season right up through 1991-92 (and of course current versions of both the old "home" and "away" Xmas jerseys have been worn in recent seasons).  Love them, like them, or hate them, as least they're part of the NEW JERSEY heritage of this franchise's history.  Trying to compare some fans being OK with those but not the Rockies jersey is not really valid.  I can fully understand Devils fans of all ages having zero interest in seeing their team wear jerseys of a Scouts or Rockies team that have very little (if any at all) familiarity with.  It's not an outlandish stance by any stretch.  

I would never be offended if the Devils ever wore the old "home" (white) Scouts and/or Rockies jerseys (I pointed out a scenario where I think donning the Rockies jerseys for a game could be cool), but suffice it to say it'd be better be the white uniforms if it's ever on Devils home ice.  I don't EVER want to see the Devils wear predominantly blue jerseys during a home game (or ANY game for that matter), for the very obvious reasons.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're creating an argument/fight where there isn't one.  Just because a lot of young whipper-snappers don't see things the way that you do on this particular topic and dare to express an opinion about it doesn't make them over-the-top purists or complainers by default.  

Compared to the OVERALL fanbase, it's a very minuscule group that has any considerable interest in the pre-NJ days of the franchise.  There's fans like me that did take a very active interest in reading and learning about the franchise's roots and previous stops (especially as that info became more and more accessible online...I know quite a bit about the Scouts and Rockies), but most couldn't care less.  Even now, there's Devils fans who see fans at games wearing a Rockies or Scouts jersey and still don't know who those teams were (I know because when I would wear them to games, I'd get asked).  When I used to wear my blue Resch Rockies jersey, I even got booed a few times because from a distance, some fans thought I was wearing a friggin' RANGERS jersey.  

At least the Christmas Tree jerseys are ones that many older fans are familiar with having seen on the ice full-time, as that's what was worn from the inaugural season right up through 1991-92 (and of course current versions of both the old "home" and "away" Xmas jerseys have been worn in recent seasons).  Love them, like them, or hate them, as least they're part of the NEW JERSEY heritage of this franchise's history.  Trying to compare some fans being OK with those but not the Rockies jersey is not really valid.  I can fully understand Devils fans of all ages having zero interest in seeing their team wear jerseys of a Scouts or Rockies team that have very little (if any at all) familiarity with.  It's not an outlandish stance by any stretch.  

I would never be offended if the Devils ever wore the old "home" (white) Scouts and/or Rockies jerseys (I pointed out a scenario where I think donning the Rockies jerseys for a game could be cool), but suffice it to say it'd be better be the white uniforms if it's ever on Devils home ice.  I don't EVER want to see the Devils wear predominantly blue jerseys during a home game (or ANY game for that matter), for the very obvious reasons.  

I don't understand you sometimes lol It's like you JUST have to step in lol

MANY posters here posted about how much they wanted NOTHING to do with the idea. Saying it didn't make sense, making comparisons with other teams to justify how much it doesn't work and that it's not the same thing as this and that, that fans couldn't care less etc etc you even replied to some of them and agreed that there was a lot of them "whipper-snappers". 

Then this ONE dude come in and post his opinion and a general response, not quoting anyone, just saying basically that he didn't understand what the big deal was with the team wanting to honour their roots? it's just a damn jersey and weird seeing such animosity towards the idea. I mean, he's one of the person who actually care and who it's made for... others people said nobody cared, that's straight up wrong just by the single fact that he does. Then you write HIM a long ass post dissecting everything he said saying HE created an argument or a fight here lol You even put words in his mouth adding "over-the-top" to purists (what he said and the term is right, they are purist) to frame your post. He never even said that. He said they were complaining and they were. If anything in this case you're actually the one turning it into a fight or argument lol

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Tell that to the pages of posters who melted down over the removal of a couple of stripes lol.

Well yeah lol that's just confirming that most fans ARE purist lol and they WERE complaining about it. I honestly don't see what buddy said that was wrong at all lol

But again, it's the typical "one person having an different opinion than the majority and speaking his mind... then he's made the problem"

Edited by SterioDesign

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Are you from Colorado or KC?  This is amazing so I’m curious how you grew attached to the Rockies/Scouts to the point of following them to N.J. 

I can’t imagine there are many people that we’d let fans of such short-lived teams, made the jump to New Jersey, and are still fans today. And we have at least two right here. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't understand you sometimes lol It's like you JUST have to step in lol

MANY posters here posted about how much they wanted NOTHING to do with the idea. Saying it didn't make sense, making comparisons with other teams to justify how much it doesn't work and that it's not the same thing as this and that, that fans couldn't care less etc etc you even replied to some of them and agreed that there was a lot of them "whipper-snappers". 

Then this ONE dude come in and post his opinion and a general response, not quoting anyone, just saying basically that he didn't understand what the big deal was with the team wanting to honour their roots? it's just a damn jersey and weird seeing such animosity towards the idea. I mean, he's one of the person who actually care and who it's made for... others people said nobody cared, that's straight up wrong just by the single fact that he does. Then you write HIM a long ass post dissecting everything he said saying HE created an argument or a fight here lol You even put words in his mouth adding "over-the-top" to purists (what he said and the term is right, they are purist) to frame your post. He never even said that. He said they were complaining and they were. If anything in this case you're actually the one turning it into a fight or argument lol

Dude...you have a very childlike way of looking at things and always have...you're basically the world's oldest 12-year-old...a Peter Pan Lost Boy.  Sometimes it makes you both amusing and endearing, truly.  Other times, not so much.  That's why more than any single other poster in here, you're the one who winds up butting heads with people the most.  You're not great at having adult conversations.  

I don't see anything wrong with what I posted, and I don't think your "analysis" of my post was accurate.  HE was the one who used the word "younger" and suggested that anyone complaining in this instance might be doing that just for the sake of doing so.  I provided some context (though personal observation and experience) as to why it wouldn't make that much sense to try to appeal to such a small faction of the fanbase (even if that group is ardent), and how a comparison he made wasn't a particularly strong one.  It's fine if he has his own viewpoint on the subject, but I didn't think it was fair to dismiss another viewpoint as "young purist", or complaining for complaining's sake.

If you're now on a mission to bitch about my posts when I'm not even talking to you, just take it to PM.  

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dude...you have a very childlike way of looking at things and always have...you're basically the world's oldest 12-year-old...a Peter Pan Lost Boy.  Sometimes it makes you both amusing and endearing, truly.  Other times, not so much.  That's why more than any single other poster in here, you're the one who winds up butting heads with people the most.  You're not great at having adult conversations.  

I don't see anything wrong with what I posted, and I don't think your "analysis" of my post was accurate.  HE was the one who used the word "younger" and suggested that anyone complaining in this instance might be doing that just for the sake of doing so.  I provided some context (though personal observation and experience) as to why it wouldn't make that much sense to try to appeal to such a small faction of the fanbase (even if that group is ardent), and how a comparison he made wasn't a particularly strong one.  It's fine if he has his own viewpoint on the subject, but I didn't think it was fair to dismiss another viewpoint as "young purist", or complaining for complaining's sake.

If you're now on a mission to bitch about my posts when I'm not even talking to you, just take it to PM.  

Well im glad you got that off your chest pal lol Not sure calling me names like Peter Pan makes you much more mature than a 12 years old though but wtv lol

You can try to spin it on me all day long but YOU legit put words in his mouth making the term he said worst than what he actually said, why did you do that? YOU said he was starting an argument or a fight when he just said he didn't understand all the hate and that the younger fans seemed purist when it comes to the logo or jerseys, it's simply true, can you honestly deny that? Look at the reaction anytime something like that is brought up. You're the one suggesting that he meant that anyone complaining about the jerseys were "complaining for the sake of complaining", he never said that either. You generalized that him saying that all younger fans were purist. etc etc He never really said any of those things the way you took it

He commented on what he saw here and that's it. You love context well thats the context here. You defended what you perceived as an unfair take to those other guys, i defended him for the same thing. 

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Are you from Colorado or KC?  This is amazing so I’m curious how you grew attached to the Rockies/Scouts to the point of following them to N.J. 

Born and raised in NJ. My dad was a  NYR fan.  I used to watch games with my dad always rooting for the other team. When the Scouts came into being I picked them since they were new. Man was I elated when  they moved to NJ.  Prior I could only see my teams live when they played the NYR. I sure miss my dad and those times.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Born and raised in NJ. My dad was a  NYR fan.  I used to watch games with my dad always rooting for the other team. When the Scouts came into being I picked them since they were new. Man was I elated when  they moved to NJ.  Prior I could only see my teams live when they played the NYR. I sure miss my dad and those times.

That’s really random. Guess it was just meant to be...

14 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Re:  the bolded, just curious...the Capitals came into the NHL the same year (and their first season was one of the very worst ever...think they won 9 games all year IIRC).  What made you gravitate towards the Scouts?  Anything in particular (like having seen them live)?  If you did see an actual Scouts game, that's pretty cool. 

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You're the one suggesting that he meant that anyone complaining about the jerseys were "complaining for the sake of complaining", he never said that either. 

4 hours ago, SC Devs Fan said:

I didn't realize the younger generation were such hockey purists. Or, just maybe, some people love to complain about anything. 

SD, is it really so hard to see that he was suggesting that some of the complainers might be complaining, just because?  You honestly can't see this?     

I don't even have any personal beef with SC Devs Fan.  I simply disagreed with a take of his, and explained why (which apparently upset you greatly)...the irony is that he and I probably share an interest in the franchise's past.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

SD, is it really so hard to see that he was suggesting that some of the complainers might be complaining, just because?  You honestly can't see this?     

I don't even have any personal beef with SC Devs Fan.  I simply disagreed with a take of his, and explained why (which apparently upset you greatly)...the irony is that he and I probably share an interest in the franchise's past.   

Well first i'm really not upset. I just don't understand why you'd have to get on his case based on what he said and pretend he was starting an argument or a fight. Some people gave their opinions. Another person (who was literally the target audience of the subject) gave his. There was no argument or fight. And why you 100% put words in his mouth (you didn't address that exaggeration) and focused on that one part where he commented that the young fan base was really purist (which is almost a straight up fact at this point) and only focused on the part he said "or just maybe some people love to complain on anything". 

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well first i'm really not upset. I just don't understand why you'd have to get on his case based on what he said and pretend he was starting an argument or a fight. Some people gave their opinions. Another person (who was literally the target audience of the subject) gave his. There was no argument or fight. And why you 100% put words in his mouth (you didn't address that exaggeration) and focused on that one part where he commented that the young fan base was really purist (which is almost a straight up fact at this point) and only focused on the part he said "or just maybe some people love to complain on anything". 

When you dismiss some who are complaining as only doing so because they "love to complain about everything" (his exact  words), that's usually a way picking an argument (even if SC wasn't necessarily intending to do that, which I don't think he was)...now some who were complaining have been written off as people who are bitching for the hell of it, and put in the position of having to defend themselves simply for having a point of view that could be construed as "negative".  Does that seem right or fair to you?  Is it so outlandish to point that out?  He could've just given his viewpoint without knocking those who didn't share it.  

And funny that you accused me of saying that he said something that he never did, which he CLEARLY did (even if I didn't word it EXACTLY the way he did, the meaning was the same), even though you either chose to ignore that FACT when going on your rant, or somehow just missed it altogether.  And now you're acting like you never did that.

He used "younger" and I used "whipper-snapper", more as a joke/quip as opposed to outright attacking him.  If you want to blow that up as being more than it was, so be it.

What's funny is my post was addressed to him and since he hasn't responded to me directly, I'm assuming that he really doesn't have any major issue with my post or doesn't see a need to discuss it further...and if he does, I readily welcome a response from him...don't think he really needs you to take up his case though.  I'm sure SC's plenty capable of addressing my post himself should he choose to do so.  

Anyway, at least this latest dustup wasn't related to Lou's MO, so that's a win.  Moving on.

Like I said, some people love to complain about everything. For context simply read the posts above!

I left this forum years ago because of the difficulty of having a civil discussion in here, been lurking for awhile but things never change. 

And StarDew I understand where you are coming from... my first game was a Rangers-Golden Seals game at the Garden. Talk about dating myself lol. I'm no whipper snapper!