The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

Wow, those are interesting.  Definitely unique so I'm inclined to like them for that reason alone, but they're also really loud and borderline obnoxious, not to mention it doesn't really go with any of their "tradition" or "history", so I'm not quite sure if I actually like them.  I guess for a 3rd they're fine, but I think they should be limited to that.

Arizona renounces Mitchell Miller pick... cause I guess they decided the backlash was just too much for a known issue.   Nothing new came to light and it’s why he wasn’t on a lot of teams draft boards.

Arizona is a complete disaster with their top pick being #142  5th round  LW Carson Bantle.    

And they don’t have a first next year...     ouch.   I think they still get lottery balls, but the pick itself will be forfeited regardless.

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-renounce-rights-to-draft-pick-mitchell-miller-1.1545422

This is so damn dumb. The kid was fvcking 14 years old. If we'd be judged by things we did or said at 14 we'd be all be fvcked.

Again this all comes from the pressure from hungry mobs that just can't wait for the next opportunity to feed their virtue signalling need.

To "destroy" those people who made a mistake just comes from a bitter place vs trying to surround and support then into learning to be better or something.

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is so damn dumb. The kid was fvcking 14 years old. If we'd be judged by things we did or said at 14 we'd be all be fvcked.

I wasn't a stupid racist who was a bullies when i was 14. (still isn't.. just to be clear ; ) ) 
I wasn't awesome and people can tell stuff about my mistake of this time... but nothing that can destroy my life... This guy was an ass at a high level ! 14 or not... 

• Like 4

The kid has shown no remorse I believe that is the problem. In fact the family has stated they've forgiven one of the others who was involved because he did apologize. The kid has never apologized, the magistrate stated in his judgement the kid only feels bad because of the negative coverage it received and not for the actions that took place over two years.  I'm quite confident if he had shown true remorse and not been an ongoing douche he would of been fine.  There's also articles out there I believe in the athletic that other teams interviewed the kid and walked away feeling he showed no remorse as well. I mean at some point FU kid. 

https://theathletic.com/2162185/2020/10/27/arizona-coyotes-mitchell-miller-bullying-nhl/

Joni Meyer-Crothers considered writing a letter and sending it to all 31 teams in the weeks leading up to this year’s NHL Draft. Meyers-Crothers, a foster mother to 57 kids over the last seven years, wanted the league’s general managers and scouting directors to know what Mitchell Miller, a highly rated defenseman, had done to her adopted son, Isaiah.

In 2016, Miller and another eighth-grader were convicted in an Ohio juvenile court of bullying and abusing Isaiah, a Black, developmentally disabled classmate at a junior high school in Sylvania, Ohio, just outside Toledo.

The incident, described in detail in a police report obtained by The Athletic and first reported by The Arizona Republic, is difficult to read. The worst of it: Miller and a classmate, Hunter R. McKie, rubbed a candy push-pop inside a urinal at the school during a girls basketball game and enticed Isaiah Meyer-Crothers to put it in his mouth, nearly falling over with laughter when he did.

Both Miller and McKie were punished by the school with suspensions; Miller’s punishment was greater, per the report, because he lied repeatedly to school administrators, who confirmed the reports of other students by using the school’s security cameras.

Meyer-Crothers said the abuse by Miller started in second grade and involved repeated racial slurs, such as calling her son a “n—–” and by telling him to “go pick cotton,” among other racist comments.

Miller’s past was not a secret — it was reported on at the time by the Toledo Blade — and it quickly surfaced when NHL teams did even rudimentary background checks before the draft. At least 10 NHL clubs took Miller off their draft lists.

Hoping to fend off a tumble down the draft board, Miller, now a freshman at the University of North Dakota, provided all 31 teams with a letter of apology, saying he had “extreme regret” for the incidents and that he had changed. He also included “character references” from several hockey coaches and his USHL billet family.

The letter, obtained by The Athletic, consisted of two lengthy paragraphs that painted his juvenile conviction as a life-changing event. There have been no further incidents, Miller said, adding that he’d had counseling, attended cultural diversity classes and had volunteered with physically disabled children.

“My family, coaches, friends, and teammates have helped me to mature and become someone who is not defined by this mistake, but has accepted it and now make (sic) choices to be a better person than I was when I was a kid,” the letter read. “I’m a different person than I was four years ago and I am thankful to have learned a very painful and valuable lesson.”

But it didn’t convince some clubs. Others arranged Zoom calls with Miller that left them feeling unconvinced of his remorse.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, moustic said:

I wasn't a stupid racist who was a bullies when i was 14. (still isn't.. just to be clear ; ) ) 
I wasn't awesome and people can tell stuff about my mistake of this time... but nothing that can destroy my life... This guy was an ass at a high level ! 14 or not... 

Well you're right, this kid was obviously an ass.

But there's maaaaany nuance to stories like this, first we don't even know what happened exactly. I mean if he hit him with a burning cross screaming racial slur, i wouldn't be defending him obviously. But now from what i've been seeing recently, you could throw a rubber band dipped in mustard to a person that just happen to be black and they'd call you racist and you could lose your job.

From what we know the kid was likely stupid and an a$$hole, i feel we can all agree on that, especially since the kid had some sort of disability. Was he a racist? I don't know that and we don't. It's not cause you do something sh!tty to a person of colour that it's necessary driven by racism. And i know that for a fact cause I'd throw tomatoes at Gene Simmonds, Bono and PK Subban if i could cause i can't stand their egomaniac personalities. Wouldn't make it racist just cause PK is black. 

So in the spirit of not supporting that blind mob mentality, until details comes out and that it was legit really bad. I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt cause "assault and violating the Ohio Safe Schools Act for bullying" could really be not that bad and i truly think if he would have done the same thing to a white kid this would be a non-issue right now.

And if im learning that what he did was really bad i'll fully admit that it deserved.

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The kid has shown no remorse I believe that is the problem. In fact the family has stated they've forgiven one of the others who was involved because he did apologize. The kid has never apologized, the magistrate stated in his judgement the kid only feels bad because of the negative coverage it received and not for the actions that took place over two years.  I'm quite confident if he had shown true remorse and not been an ongoing douche he would of been fine.  There's also articles out there I believe in the athletic that other teams interviewed the kid and walked away feeling he showed no remorse as well. I mean at some point FU kid. 

Well if what he did was truly bad and that he's refusing to even apologize then yeah fvck that kid obviously, honestly most hockey players are kind of jerks. But if what he did wasn't bad and that he's just a SJW scapegoat like we're seeing everywhere and don't want to apologize cause it would be like admitting something he didnt really do. Well that's different.

In any of these articles was it said what he did at all? I can't find anything.

We're just seeing soooooo much non-sense when it comes to identity politics right now, it's SO hard to trust anything at this point

24 minutes ago, titans04 said:

0cwrtmjujpv51.png

Yeah. Again, i'll eat crow if i'm wrong. But this has "the team knew about it and still decided to take him and really meant to surround him and all" but the mom posted this online and i'm sure the mob jumped on this and that it pressured the team into going "Well the kid is a 5th round pick... keeping him is probably not worth all the backlash we'll be facing". Cause we know damn well people would have called them racist and all that for keeping him and they didn't want to deal with that sh!t.

I mean a theatre in Memphis i believe has been showing showing Gone with the wind as an annual thing for over 40 years, but were forced to cancel that celebration from all the backlash and being called racist for showing a racist movie. Gone with the fvcking wind. It won Oscars and all.

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well if what he did was truly bad and that he's refusing to even apologize then yeah fvck that kid obviously, honestly most hockey players are kind of jerks. But if what he did wasn't bad and that he's just a SJW scapegoat like we're seeing everywhere and don't want to apologize cause it would be like admitting something he didnt really do. Well that's different.

In any of these articles was it said what he did at all? I can't find anything.

We're just seeing soooooo much non-sense when it comes to identity politics right now, it's SO hard to trust anything at this point

Bolded: Titans quotes from the article are pretty damning. Add in that the  mother said it was still occurring up to 2 years ago also isn’t a good look. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you're right, this kid was obviously an ass.

But there's maaaaany nuance to stories like this, first we don't even know what happened exactly. I mean if he hit him with a burning cross screaming racial slur, i wouldn't be defending him obviously. But now from what i've been seeing recently, you could throw a rubber band dipped in mustard to a person that just happen to be black and they'd call you racist and you could lose your job.

From what we know the kid was likely stupid and an a$$hole, i feel we can all agree on that, especially since the kid had some sort of disability. Was he a racist? I don't know that and we don't. It's not cause you do something sh!tty to a person of colour that it's necessary driven by racism. And i know that for a fact cause I'd throw tomatoes at Gene Simmonds, Bono and PK Subban if i could cause i can't stand their egomaniac personalities. Wouldn't make it racist just cause PK is black. 

So in the spirit of not supporting that blind mob mentality, until details comes out and that it was legit really bad. I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt cause "assault and violating the Ohio Safe Schools Act for bullying" could really be not that bad and i truly think if he would have done the same thing to a white kid this would be a non-issue right now.

And if im learning that what he did was really bad i'll fully admit that it deserved.

Read the article, we do know what happened.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bolded: Titans quotes from the article are pretty damning. Add in that the  mother said it was still occurring up to 2 years ago also isn’t a good look. 

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Read the article, we do know what happened.

oh sh!t i only saw the TSN article. Didn't realized it was a different article that was quoted in here.

So yeah i see it now and it was clearly racist in that case with the racial slurs he used and all.

So yeah, fvck that kid in this case but i still hope he's surrounded by the right people to make him step in the right direction.

I'm still glad i gave him the benefit of the doubt until i had all the details though. It's something our society could benefit greatly from that at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Again this all comes from the pressure from hungry mobs that just can't wait for the next opportunity to feed their virtue signalling need.

To "destroy" those people who made a mistake just comes from a bitter place vs trying to surround and support then into learning to be better or something.

Nonsense. This way more than normal teenage sh!t. He bullied a mentally disabled kid for years. He’s scum. 

• Like 3

SD, how can you be so much... SD everywhere. Even in this situation.

His victim was already living a lousy life(sorry if i`m using bad words, i may do not know a culture of context, don`t forget about it, please). What I've read, if it's true - there is no something to discuss.
Kids NEED to know that if they behave like this, they will face it in the future. Actions must have consequences. Especially such actions. If we're talking about culture, that's how it works.

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nonsense. This way more than normal teenage sh!t. He bullied a mentally disabled kid for years. He’s scum. 

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

SD, how can you be so much... SD everywhere. Even in this situation.

His victim was already living a lousy life(sorry if i`m using bad words, i may do not know a culture of context, don`t forget about it, please). What I've read, if it's true - there is no something to discuss.
Kids NEED to know that if they behave like this, they will face it in the future. Actions must have consequences. Especially such actions. If we're talking about culture, that's how it works.

Did you guys read my last comment once i actually read what happened? I said all along that i wouldn't fully judge until i know and that i'd eat crow if i was wrong. i didnt know when i wrote those comments and changed my stance when i did.

Edited by SterioDesign

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah fvck Miller, dude is a fvcking twat stain. Arizona should’ve never drafted him.

Everything he did to that poor kid was horrible.  That whole lollipop incident...Jesus Christ.

• Sad 1