The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Crap in the Jacks is pretty bad. Almost as bad as owning a Rangers jersey. 

Many MANY years ago, I went to a Devils - Rangers game at MSG with my younger brother (a Rags fan, though not super-hardcore).  After the game we went into Cosby’s (we both had very heavy buzzes), and on display among other jerseys was an authentic ultrafil white #93 Gilmour...even though I didn’t have a whole lot of disposable income, I had to have that jersey (and I still do).

Being a good older bro, I decided to buy my bro (who had snagged the tix to the game) a Rags jersey (non-personalized replica...I’m not THAT good of an older bro).  Pretty sure that I broke out in hives and boils as I did that.  I HATED buying that damned jersey.

I don't hate the RR. Hell of a lot better than our regular jerseys at this point. I'll never get used to them and I still think they're horrible. 

Someone mentioned using the template of the original jerseys in red and black. I saw a mock up of that once and they looked incredible. I'd be very into that. 

Also I'll never get behind teams wearing jerseys from the cities they relocated from. Seems like a slap in the face to Quebec and Hartford to have their teams yanked away, and have their teams' identity used as a gimmicky money grab to be worn by people who have never stepped foot in Connecticut or Quebec. What do the Whalers and Nordiques have to do with Raleigh and Denver? Seems weird to me. 

Edited by thecoffeecake
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve bought Devils jerseys for people who were kinda hockey fans leaning towards the Rangers. 

My brother (outside of a 7-year-stint living in London) has always identified with NY.  He’s spent several years living there.  He was always a Ranger fan (since childhood...also roots for the Yankees, Knicks, and Jets) and has gone to his fair share of games with work buddies.  I would’ve been very happy to convert him if it was a possibility.

I did buy my nephew a couple of Devils jerseys, who was more of a blank slate as a young kid.  He wound up becoming a Penguins fan, of all things.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I did buy my nephew a couple of Devils jerseys, who was more of a blank slate as a young kid.  He wound up becoming a Penguins fan, of all things.  

There may have been a point that I bought every baby born to a friend of ours a Devils jersey. And my nephew who lives near Pittsburgh had several different sizes as he grew. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 12:11 AM, thecoffeecake said:

I don't hate the RR. Hell of a lot better than our regular jerseys at this point. I'll never get used to them and I still think they're horrible. 

Someone mentioned using the template of the original jerseys in red and black. I saw a mock up of that once and they looked incredible. I'd be very into that. 

Also I'll never get behind teams wearing jerseys from the cities they relocated from. Seems like a slap in the face to Quebec and Hartford to have their teams yanked away, and have their teams' identity used as a gimmicky money grab to be worn by people who have never stepped foot in Connecticut or Quebec. What do the Whalers and Nordiques have to do with Raleigh and Denver? Seems weird to me. 

Colo. & Carolina went full bore with retro celebrating with where they came from.  I'm kinda surprised/disappointed  Devils did nothing to honor Rockies or Scouts. But each team had a heavy hand in design so higher ups didn't want it? 

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

Colo. & Carolina went full bore with retro celebrating with where they came from.  I'm kinda surprised/disappointed  Devils did nothing to honor Rockies or Scouts. But each team had a heavy hand in design so higher ups didn't want it? 

That's because those two relocations happened in the last 25 years and people still largely remember them.  Rockies were 38/39 years ago and Scouts last played 44/45 years ago and were never big draws.  There is still a large portion of Devils fans who don't even know anything about the Scouts and Rockies and even fewer people who remember them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's because those two relocations happened in the last 25 years and people still largely remember them.  Rockies were 38/39 years ago and Scouts last played 44/45 years ago and were never big draws.  There is still a large portion of Devils fans who don't even know anything about the Scouts and Rockies and even fewer people who remember them.

Agreed. Both the Nordiques and the Whalers had significant history. The Scouts and Rockies were a blip, combined time in existence was 8 years, relevance of both teams was zero. Part of the franchise history, yes. Important enough to base a jersey design on instead of the 38 years of history in NJ? Nope. 

Next year we can do Founders Retros instead where every team wears something based on their franchise’s first season, and then we can have an ugly blue and gold jersey. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I get they're mad at renegotiating something they thought was signed and over, but there's that whole issue of unprecedented times and stuff going on.

Meh, whatever. They can stand on principle, make 0$, and I'll find something else to do. It's safer to just assume it isn't happening until a skate hits the ice at this point. 

• Like 2

I think they need the gate and without it or with a limited one some or maybe even most would probably prefer they punt the season.  Can't say I blame them. I have a hard time sympathizing with the players if they can't understand the conditions now are drastically different than when the agreement was signed. If they want to hold the line and say nah we're not going to negotiate that's fine, kick rocks and enjoy risk not getting paid at all like millions and millions of others in these dire times. I miss hockey but it's pretty far down on the list of priorities in the big picture as in off the map. My two cents. 

I can't imagine US minor league hockey who has even less money and needs the gate even more pulling off a season under these conditions unless something unforeseen changes. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Personally I just don't care what happens either way next season at this point. I don't have the patience to listen to millionaire players and billionaire owners bitch and moan about one another.

I don't plan on attending a game until 2022 at this point so if they play I'll be watching on tv and if they don't I'll be watching something else on tv like I've been doing since March anyway. 

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Personally I just don't care what happens either way next season at this point. I don't have the patience to listen to millionaire players and billionaire owners bitch and moan about one another.

I don't plan on attending a game until 2022 at this point so if they play I'll be watching on tv and if they don't I'll be watching something else on tv like I've been doing since March anyway. 

I agree with the second part but not the first. The arguing I can do without, but I really miss watching so I can’t say I don’t care what happens. 

Life goes on either way, obviously, but I still need my fix. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with the second part but not the first. The arguing I can do without, but I really miss watching so I can’t say I don’t care what happens. 

Life goes on either way, obviously, but I still need my fix. 

I'm a bit over sports with no fans, it was fine to finish out the playoffs but I don't particularly enjoy it. I just watched basically an entire MLS Red Bulls season (they played 2 games before the shutdowns and only 1 home game) with no fans minus a few markets who have been letting in a limited capacity. I missed seeing them live in the playoffs for the first time since 2013 yesterday cause there were no fans allowed, which in the end saved me from watching them lose in the playoffs yet again and I didn't have to stand in the rain and have to drive back from Columbus but I'd easily trade that sh!tty experience to get rid of Covid. 

Now I'm not saying we should be packing arenas and stadiums with fans, I'm just saying I won't be upset if we miss a season cause I don't particularly enjoy how sports are right now with no/very few fans.

I know some people don't care about this but without the excitement and atmosphere of an arena of fans and with no ability to go to games it just all feels very meh to me. Like instead of being an escape from everything else it's more of a reminder of how sh!t 2020 has been and most of 2021 will be.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s an interesting concept. 

would certainly help the scouts as at that age kids can make suuuuch a big jump from one year to another

Also making it such a gamble for late first round picks... to you go for the 19 years old you feel you got better report on or the 18 years old with maybe more potential

On 11/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

I get they're mad at renegotiating something they thought was signed and over, but there's that whole issue of unprecedented times and stuff going on.

Meh, whatever. They can stand on principle, make 0$, and I'll find something else to do. It's safer to just assume it isn't happening until a skate hits the ice at this point. 

Exactly,  people all across North America are losing their jobs and are collecting 50% ..others are losing their businesses. And these guys won't defer 25%  not feeling sympathetic at all. Screw 2021

• Like 1