The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

I'm guessing the thinking is we can get more peeps in an outdoor stadium. But NFL teams are limited as well in attendance.  Harris/Blitzer want to get their "flagship" facility back up and running. 

Just now, vadvlfan said:

I'm guessing the thinking is we can get more peeps in an outdoor stadium. But NFL teams are limited as well in attendance.  Harris/Blitzer want to get their "flagship" facility back up and running. 

I think it's any attendance, not just "more." Can't see anyone in buildings for a while. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

That was one of the worst games in devils history, it gave me a pit in my stomach for two years..  jagr s ninja hat was the only redeeming thing.

25 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

That was one of the worst games in devils history, it gave me a pit in my stomach for two years..  jagr s ninja hat was the only redeeming thing.

Was infuriating for sure.  I was at my best friend's house (he's a Ranger fan), and of course the Devils were up 3-1...I didn't talk much smack, but obviously I was enjoying being up.  Then 3-2 going into the second...OK.  Then it all just went completely to sh!t. 

I could be wrong but I think I remember Marty bitching about sun glare on the ice?  I just didn't want to hear any of that.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was infuriating for sure.  I was at my best friend's house (he's a Ranger fan), and of course the Devils were up 3-1...I didn't talk much smack, but obviously I was enjoying being up.  Then 3-2 going into the second...OK.  Then it all just went completely to sh!t. 

I could be wrong but I think I remember Marty bitching about sun glare on the ice?  I just didn't want to hear any of that.

He absolutely did.  When I heard that I nearly doubled over in hysterics.  But that is a classic Marty response throughout most of his career.  When they lose it is a team loss.  When they win he did something spectacular.

The press actually asked Lundqvist about that.  His response was something along the lines of "yeah, but I didn't have a problem with it."

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as an outdoor game goes...you kinda know what you're getting.  It's more of a place to be/an event, than the ideal venue to watch a hockey game.  I don't mind watching outdoor games on TV (though I rarely do), but the idea of freezing my ass off to watch a game where it likely won't be easy to get a decent view of the action doesn't really appeal to me.  When I was younger (say 20s-mid 30s), I might have been more amenable to going once, just to see what it might be like.

I'm not going to beat up on Marty, but the White Knight treatment he rec'd that season was absurd.  Cory (despite being the vastly superior puck-stopper at that point) was treated like he had something to prove and needed to earn his franchise's respect.  The mutants were the worst...they went on and on about how the guy with the .901 save% and 2.51 GAA knew how to win, while the guy with the .921 save% and 1.97 GAA was this loser.

Part of the problem was that after a slow start in 2013-14 (Marty's final season with the Devils), he put together the last productive mini-burst of his career...his numbers at that point were respectable:  a .916% save% and 2.06 GAA.  That bought him just enough currency for him to keep getting chances at Cory's expense...the problem was from that point on (11/27), Marty put up an .893 save% and 2.77 GAA in 25 GP.  Cory played 35 games in that same timeframe and put up a .919 save% and 2.00 GAA...the GP split should have been MUCH more pronounced.  Cory was unconscious at times too...he put up a .944 save% in one 15-game stretch, and had a .952 save% over his final 8 games of that season.  It was sad, because it was clearly a case of a former great getting treatment that he no longer deserved.  

And yeah, at that point, Marty's comments were definitely getting hard to take.  Like many faded former stars, he could never differentiate between what was and what is.  Like I've always said, you'll forever trade those 2-3 cringey years for a H-O-F career full of special moments and championships.  Doesn't mean that Marty couldn't be a little prickly in his prime years at times of course.  

Say that louder for the large, mutant chunk of our fanbase that to this day still insist Cory was never good.

41 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t care for the red pants...

image.thumb.jpeg.37f42f127a58e3074939ac53e858129a.jpeg

I don't mind it. Black or Green wouldn't work. I know it's a videogame render but the arm striping doesn't look as bad as it did on the model in the adidas video.

sock striping is god-awful tho

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't mind it. Black or Green wouldn't work. 

I’m just not a fan of red pants unless it’s all red like the Red Wings. I always thought the Blue Jackets uniforms looked goofy with them. And these aren’t much better, imo.

I definitely like our white heritage better. 

A properly centered crest makes a world of difference.  Too bad that’s just graphics and not the real deal.

OK with the red pants, wish the socks had less stripes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd say i'm noticeably annoyed that Subban is the face of our franchise right now. lol

Yeah.... they must of asked Lindsey Vonn or PK's family who to go with. Otherwise I don't understand the choice if it comes down to what they bring to the team.  If he gets it on being a minority I guess that's fair.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Yeah.... they must of asked Lindsey Vonn or PK's family who to go with. Otherwise I don't understand the choice if it comes down to what they bring to the team.  If he gets it on being a minority I guess that's fair.

well he's for sure the most "marketable" player we have right now. So i do understand that angle.

I mean... as much as i dont like it... i'm not even sure who it should be instead? I gueesssssss Nico but he's not really a face of the franchise guy yet either

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't mind it. Black or Green wouldn't work. I know it's a videogame render but the arm striping doesn't look as bad as it did on the model in the adidas video.

sock striping is god-awful tho

I’d like to see it with green, although I think you’re right, I think it might look better than the red. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK with the red pants, wish the socks had less stripes.

3 hours ago, titans04 said:

way too many stripes all around, everywhere.

Too many stripes on these, not enough on our primary jerseys, you dudes are hard to please? Can someone get these boys the proper number of stripes??

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Too many stripes on these, not enough on our primary jerseys, you dudes are hard to please? Can someone get these boys the proper number of stripes??

7 on the socks, 5 on the sleeves and at the bottom of the jersey. They'll probably win the stripe competition in a run away. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

Didn't see anyone mention this but the awful delay cause of the ice was the main reason I hated that game (obviously besides the outcome) If it was like a 90+ min delay and it made all the difference to me in terms of just being miserable to be outside.