The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

Like I said, some people love to complain about everything. For context simply read the posts above!

I left this forum years ago because of the difficulty of having a civil discussion in here, been lurking for awhile but things never change. 

And StarDew I understand where you are coming from... my first game was a Rangers-Golden Seals game at the Garden. Talk about dating myself lol. I'm no whipper snapper!

I don't know man...seems kinda weak to just write off some differing viewpoints as "just complainers complaining"...not exactly a way to kick off "civil discussions". 

I've seen plenty of civil back-and-forth discussions in here...it's not constant conflict.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded, just curious...the Capitals came into the NHL the same year (and their first season was one of the very worst ever...think they won 9 games all year IIRC).  What made you gravitate towards the Scouts?  Anything in particular (like having seen them live)?  If you did see an actual Scouts game, that's pretty cool. 

I liked their uniforms.  Don't laugh. It's true. Never saw them live. Did see Rockies a number of times. Their uniforms sucked. Btw Isles only win 12 games their first season. All 3 teams sucked freshman year. (Scouts, Caps, Isles)

Edited by StarDew
hit enter too soon

2 minutes ago, StarDew said:

I liked their

Unis?

Don’t know if you remember, but the Caps wore white shorts...they didn’t look THAT bad when they were “fresh”, but they would quickly discolor as players were checked, fell to the ice, etc.  Think the Caps might have abandoned that look before their first season ended.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Unis?

Don’t know if you remember, but the Caps wore white shorts...they didn’t look THAT bad when they were “fresh”, but they would quickly discolor as players were checked, fell to the ice, etc.  Think the Caps might have abandoned that look before their first season ended.

Just edited original post. See above. Yes I remember those ugly white shorts.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How was that place (Big Mac)?  I've only seen pics of it...basically the exterior and some interior shots (NBA and NHL games).  No concourse photos or anything like that.  I think they had a pretty nice restaurant in there somewhere (or at least I remember reading about it).  

I used to think it might be kinda cool for the Devils to break out the Scouts and/or Rockies jerseys for an actual game, but these days I can't say that I have much interest in ever seeing that.  The one time I think it could be kinda fun would be if the Devils played a road game in Colorado, and wore "away" Rockies whites (obviously the whites were the Rockies' home jerseys back in the day), with the Avs wearing their typical home jerseys (or even their "Rockies influenced" jerseys)...a little "old" meets "new".  Auction off the Rockies whites for some kind of charity.  

I think it could be fun...ONCE.  As in, don't make it a yearly event.  Don't give everyone a chance to get sick of it or for any novelty a night like this might have to wear off.  Do it once, let everyone have a good time with it, then never do it again.  

See the source image

And return the favor when Avs visit the Rock.  

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When you dismiss some who are complaining as only doing so because they "love to complain about everything" (his exact  words), that's usually a way picking an argument (even if SC wasn't necessarily intending to do that, which I don't think he was)...now some who were complaining have been written off as people who are bitching for the hell of it, and put in the position of having to defend themselves simply for having a point of view that could be construed as "negative".  Does that seem right or fair to you?  Is it so outlandish to point that out?  He could've just given his viewpoint without knocking those who didn't share it.  

And funny that you accused me of saying that he said something that he never did, which he CLEARLY did (even if I didn't word it EXACTLY the way he did, the meaning was the same), even though you either chose to ignore that FACT when going on your rant, or somehow just missed it altogether.  And now you're acting like you never did that.

He used "younger" and I used "whipper-snapper", more as a joke/quip as opposed to outright attacking him.  If you want to blow that up as being more than it was, so be it.

What's funny is my post was addressed to him and since he hasn't responded to me directly, I'm assuming that he really doesn't have any major issue with my post or doesn't see a need to discuss it further...and if he does, I readily welcome a response from him...don't think he really needs you to take up his case though.  I'm sure SC's plenty capable of addressing my post himself should he choose to do so.  

Anyway, at least this latest dustup wasn't related to Lou's MO, so that's a win.  Moving on.

He literally said that the younger fans were purist (he's right and we can likely all agree on that, clearly what he meant) and added OR maybe just maybe that they just love to complain. His argument was that they were purist and that maybe just MAYBE they just love to complain.

You turned that statement into "over-the-top purists and people complaining for the sake of complaining. And that he was starting a fight or argument. 

Are you working for CNN or something? lol editing parts out just to push a narrative? Where did you get the "over-the-top" part? That's what im saying he never said, not the whipper-snapper thing. So you added words to what he said then why are you removing the "maybe just maybe" in front of "love to complain about everything"? Like you said, context matter. Adding words and removing others is not helping anything.

Edited by SterioDesign

37 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

And return the favor when Avs visit the Rock.  

Feels like it would make more sense to have it in Colorado because it’s an “All Colorado” event...the team that once played there vs the team that currently does.  Not sure how much nostalgia remains for the Rockies (though not being in tune with the hockey scene there, I’m only speculating as to how much interest there would actually be in such an event).  Not like the Rockies gave the locals much to root for during their six seasons there.

Chico did say that though they only drew 9-10k most games, the ones who showed up were definitely into it. How much of them actually still care about the Devils dressing up as Rockies for a game, who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ve moved on SD.  So has everyone else.  

So you turn him saying "purist" into "over-the-top purist" and then turned "maybe just maybe some people love to complain" into "people complaining just for the sake of complaining" like that was the focus on his whole thing rather than just an afterthought. That's changing completely the spirit of what he said and putting words in his mouth. Then digging your heels that he was starting a fight or argument based on the way you took it rather than what he said. Call me a 12 years old in the process and ignored and went around the question of why you added "over-the-top" to what he said then ignore the maybe just maybe... 3 times.

Then moved on. Gotcha.

2 hours ago, StarDew said:

I liked their uniforms.  Don't laugh. It's true. Never saw them live. Did see Rockies a number of times. Their uniforms sucked. Btw Isles only win 12 games their first season. All 3 teams sucked freshman year. (Scouts, Caps, Isles)

BTW check out the Kansas City MO-hawk prototype jersey (just do an online search)...was pretty sharp, but suffice it to say that the crest (a Native American head in side profile) and team name were way too close to the Blackhawks for comfort.  Not even sure why the franchise ever thought that was going to fly.

So then came a crest change and a new team nickname, and the Kansas City Scouts were born.

No pissing match here; I've already flushed the urinal, buckled my belt, and left the bathroom.  

I'm with Crisis, I don't mind this Stars jersey either.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

A few of the comments are pretty funny though, “this looks like the Jersey you design in franchise mode, use for a little while then regret and start over”

I dunno, I guess I really don’t like the neon

Yeah, upon further review I am mad at it. The neon green is awful. 

I'm a few days late but I really don't think one is being a purist or a complainer because they don't want their team to wear something that represents Colorado or Kansas City.

There's no need to honor past franchises that have absolutely nothing to do with New Jersey Devils other then being the catalyst of failure that eventually led to them being the New Jersey Devils.

I also don't like the green jerseys and I wouldn't care if we never saw that color scheme ever again but at least those are actually a part of New Jersey Devils history and not a former failed team. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

A few of the comments are pretty funny though, “this looks like the Jersey you design in franchise mode, use for a little while then regret and start over

I dunno, I guess I really don’t like the neon

I don't mind it now, but yeah, I could see it getting old quick.  Big difference between some promo pics and actual in-game use.