The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd say i'm noticeably annoyed that Subban is the face of our franchise right now. lol

It’s almost like they did it just for you. 

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salavat Yulaev head coach Lämsä shares his thoughts on pick Shakir Mukhamadullin

You WERE a legend. You are now a DISGRACE. shame. shame.

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Too many stripes on these, not enough on our primary jerseys, you dudes are hard to please? Can someone get these boys the proper number of stripes??

7 on the socks, 5 on the sleeves and at the bottom of the jersey. They'll probably win the stripe competition in a run away. 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

7 on the socks, 5 on the sleeves and at the bottom of the jersey. They'll probably win the stripe competition in a run away. 

Unless the Habs bring these things back...

image.jpeg.1c1a6683bb544a6f98bcc7be5025757d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocking 1
19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Unless the Habs bring these things back...

image.jpeg.1c1a6683bb544a6f98bcc7be5025757d.jpeg

Those look like they’d be the prison uniforms in the US’s most patriotic correctional facility. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those look like they’d be the prison uniforms in the US’s most patriotic correctional facility. 

They always reminded me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

Didn't see anyone mention this but the awful delay cause of the ice was the main reason I hated that game (obviously besides the outcome) If it was like a 90+ min delay and it made all the difference to me in terms of just being miserable to be outside. 

10 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Could they get 5K/game socially distant at RBA? I think they could.

I'm a Red Bulls season ticket holder and I've been at games there as early as February, it gets pretty cold but it's really hit or miss. I love the cold but there are some nights I've been at RBA where I can barely feel my feet and those games I'm barely in the building for 2 hours. 

That being said the MLS season normally starts around March 1st and they plan on starting the season on time again so I really don't expect to see many outdoor games at RBA or any MLS stadium because of that, especially since they normally take almost 2 weeks alone just to setup the ice and get those conditions right.

They might be able to do some games in January and February though if they can reach an agreement quickly but I don't see it happening and personally I'd rather not see the field taking a beating to accommodate a hockey rink. Metlife would make way more sense since they would be able to leave the rink up the entire time and could host the Devils, Rangers and Islanders. 0 chance I'm going to that absolute travesty of a stadium nor am I paying 30-50 bucks to park my car every game. I've been to a lot of brand new NFL stadiums and Metlife is easily the worst out of all of the newer generation of NFL stadiums. 

Also I realistically just don't see Murphy allowing thousands of fans into any stadium only a few months from now especially with how things have been trending lately. I know that Somerset baseball stadium had a few games in front of a crowd of 500 but it really makes no sense financially to go through the whole outdoor setup process and renting out RBA if they aren't allowed to have any fans or only allowed to have like 1k. Would be better off just playing at Prudential with nobody there. 

Just another tid bit of info but I know the womens soccer team Sky Blue confirmed that they needed at least 5k fans to break even in terms of renting out RBA and that's with obviously cheaper prices than NHL games. 

Personally I don't plan on attending any games during this upcoming Devils season nor most of the upcoming Red Bulls season and I'm extremely curious to see how both teams handle the situation. I'm really hoping for an easy opt out to just carry my seats over to the next seasons but I'll fight with both teams if need be. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Too many stripes on these, not enough on our primary jerseys, you dudes are hard to please? Can someone get these boys the proper number of stripes??

The funny thing is that I see what they're going for on the socks...one green stripe bordered by two thinner white stripes, and one red stripe bordered by two thinner white stripes.  But when the main background color is the same as the one of the bordered stripes, the intended effect is lost.  That's the main reason the old red and green jerseys never looked quite "right" to me...the uppermost white border stripe on the sleeves almost looks like a piece of white tape to me, because you have red on both sides of it.  I think thicker white border sleeve stripes than the ones in this picture (only the outer ones...the one separating the red and green can stay the same) would've helped create a better "separation".  

http://nhl.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2FproductImages%2F_479000%2Fff_479890_xl.jpg&w=400

That's part of the reason I wondered aloud if a black background for most of the jersey would work better, so that the green and red stripes would stand out more.  I still think that could've worked (though I understand why some wouldn't like that look).  

23 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

I feel like you're Kate McKinnnon here...   as I enjoyed going to that game immensely (well, at least the first period).  Of course I went for free and was in a suite for it.

SNL: A Short History of Kate McKinnon's Paranormal Sketches

26 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I feel like you're Kate McKinnnon here...   as I enjoyed going to that game immensely (well, at least the first period).  Of course I went for free and was in a suite for it.

I've seen the guy and that's exactly how he sits.

;) 

1 hour ago, aylbert said:

I don't smoke and I wouldn't want to star in a show that hasn't been funny in a solid decade.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the league starting the 2020-21 season, basically just assuming, and hoping, that they'd be able to get something figured out, but now I'm hearing rumblings that they are considering playing in outdoor stadiums...?  While that would be pretty cool, I feel like it would only add to the complexity of getting things started...trying to find an suitable outdoor stadium for each team in or near their home city seems like it would be difficult to arrange, not only for scheduling, but also the financial aspect, as I'm sure it wouldn't be free for these teams to use someone else's venue.  Anyone know if it's just an unfounded rumor, or something that they're seriously considering?  With Jan 1 being only a few weeks away I'm starting to have my doubts that they'll be starting up anytime soon, especially if they plan to have some semblance of a pre-season or training camp.

21 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I haven't been paying too much attention to the league starting the 2020-21 season, basically just assuming, and hoping, that they'd be able to get something figured out, but now I'm hearing rumblings that they are considering playing in outdoor stadiums...?  While that would be pretty cool, I feel like it would only add to the complexity of getting things started...trying to find an suitable outdoor stadium for each team in or near their home city seems like it would be difficult to arrange, not only for scheduling, but also the financial aspect, as I'm sure it wouldn't be free for these teams to use someone else's venue.  Anyone know if it's just an unfounded rumor, or something that they're seriously considering?  With Jan 1 being only a few weeks away I'm starting to have my doubts that they'll be starting up anytime soon, especially if they plan to have some semblance of a pre-season or training camp.

Latest I read/heard was Christmas with their families, training camp and whatnot by new years, season starting 15-16 January-ish.

No week early for the 7 teams who havent played hockey in a year

• Like 2
20 hours ago, jagknife said:

Latest I read/heard was Christmas with their families, training camp and whatnot by new years, season starting 15-16 January-ish.

No week early for the 7 teams who havent played hockey in a year

Now I read that the owners want increased escrow beyond this year.. this year I can sympathize,  not past ,thats renegotiating a done deal. Call in an arbitrator and let's play hockey

On 12/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

No way in hell are the 2 worst governorers... cuomo and whoever you guys have, allowing fans in any arena regardless if its outdoors..

Sucks, but at least my leagues aren't cancelled so im getting my hockey fix while the millionaires and billionaires fight it out 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

No way in hell are the 2 worst governorers... cuomo and whoever you guys have, allowing fans in any arena regardless if its outdoors..

Sucks, but at least my leagues aren't cancelled so im getting my hockey fix while the millionaires and billionaires fight it out 

My rink shut down.  A couple guys on both my teams had contracted COVID.  Fortunately, I opted out for the resumption of our season because we added yet another ravenous offspring to the family in April.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This should be fairly easy to work out, considering they just had to do something similar fairly recently in 2013.  Maybe they play another 48 game season?

That would seem to me to make more sense than trying to play more, making the playoffs run later, and then not starting next season on time. Something will have to break that cycle at some point, so I think a half-season is the best option. 

Who knows, maybe with all of the young talent could potentially be in our NHL roster, maybe a 48 game season playing against NHL competition, but avoiding the “rookie wall” that happens during a full season, maybe beneficial to their development. 

A 48 game season would make more sense because they should leave themselves some leeway time wise in case of any games that get delayed. NFL and MLS both have had games postponed this year and MLS even had to switch to points per game for the standings because one team, Colorado, missed like 5 games.

It's also going to be a lot like the NFL and MLS have been doing and what the NBA is gonna do. Some states/cities will allow fans with limited capacities and others won't allow fans at all. I'm expecting all season ticket holders in the league will get a chance to roll over their to the 21-22 season or get a refund just like the NFL and MLS did. There's 0 chance NJ allows fans in basically a month's time, same goes for the Rangers and Islanders. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's 0 chance NJ allows fans in basically a month's time, same goes for the Rangers and Islanders. 

I have a ticket rep who is assigned to stalk me to try to get me to buy a plan, and he called me the other day and left a voicemail that said he had "updates" to tell me. 

My continued position has been, I am not interested in season tickets at this time, but even if I was, I wouldn't sign up for them without knowing if I would be allowed to attend games. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Obviously, in the 3-4 times he has called me since March, he has had zero information about that. But you are correct, if they have a problem with 20 people eating in a diner at the same time, they aren't opening an arena. 

• Like 1

I had a ticket rep called me about a week ago trying to get me to buy season tickets.  I only picked up because I didn't recognize the number and he was calling me from his personal cell phone (!).  Anyways, his pitch to me was based on the assumption that fans would indeed be allowed to go back at some point and if so, it would only be season ticket holders.  He told me because of this, if I need to sell tickets that I would get full value due to the low availability of them.  I told him I am not interested and I am fine with watching the whole season on TV and left it at that.

I think having people in the stands in the NJ/NYC metro area at any point in the season is very questionable.  I just don't see it happening unless they make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

A 48 game season would make more sense because they should leave themselves some leeway time wise in case of any games that get delayed. NFL and MLS both have had games postponed this year and MLS even had to switch to points per game for the standings because one team, Colorado, missed like 5 games.

It's also going to be a lot like the NFL and MLS have been doing and what the NBA is gonna do. Some states/cities will allow fans with limited capacities and others won't allow fans at all. I'm expecting all season ticket holders in the league will get a chance to roll over their money to the 21-22 season or get a refund just like the NFL and MLS did. There's 0 chance NJ allows fans in basically a month's time, same goes for the Rangers and Islanders.

I'd even say you could go into the low 40s for regular season games, to be extra safe...I don't think there's such a thing as too much leeway time right now.  But at least we've seen 48-game seasons before, so it won't feel that strange (especially in this current environment). 

My take on these Covid seasons (in all sports) remains the same...even if some won't consider them "real" seasons, to me it's about having an entertainment source, a diversion, some tie to the "old normal" (though we obviously remain far from that).  My daughter and I will absolutely be in my basement and glued to the TV when the season starts up.  She misses it, not quite as much as me, but more than enough.       

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I had a ticket rep called me about a week ago trying to get me to buy season tickets.  I only picked up because I didn't recognize the number and he was calling me from his personal cell phone (!).  Anyways, his pitch to me was based on the assumption that fans would indeed be allowed to go back at some point and if so, it would only be season ticket holders.  He told me because of this, if I need to sell tickets that I would get full value due to the low availability of them.  I told him I am not interested and I am fine with watching the whole season on TV and left it at that.

I think having people in the stands in the NJ/NYC metro area at any point in the season is very questionable.  I just don't see it happening unless they make the playoffs.

My rep has been working from home so that's probably why you got a call from their cell phone. Good on the team at least for not making people come into their office right now to do what is basically an impossible job at the moment.