The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's not a canadian media racist issue thing.

I didn’t say it was. I specifically said I didn’t know about that at all. 

All I know is, no team he has been on has wanted to retain him. So I would be hesitant to run out and sign him. 

The fact that he thinks he is worth more than the team offered doesn’t bother me. That’s literally how you negotiate a contract. You don’t just accept whatever the team offers. Maybe it’ll it’s $12m a year you do, but even those contracts are negotiated, teams don’t just cough up the money. 

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salavat Yulaev head coach Lämsä shares his thoughts on pick Shakir Mukhamadullin

You WERE a legend. You are now a DISGRACE. shame. shame.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

i'd be interested in a situation like that, on a low risk high reward kind of thing. But having heard those reports about his bad attidue even before he went through 5 nhl teams in 7 years... i'd rather not give a long-term gig to a player like that. Plus sounds like he wants more money or term than what i'd be willing to gamble

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually Hoffman is kind of similar. Would you guys make a pitch for him? he's been pretty consistent but he's 30 now and his gf seems to bring drama

I will prefer Toffoli because Toffoli is more ES guy and Hoffman play on PP pretty well. Toffoli wil cheaper and he is little bit younger. 
Anyway if someone from that duo will sign with us for a reasonable deal i will pe pretty happy.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually Hoffman is kind of similar. Would you guys make a pitch for him? he's been pretty consistent but he's 30 now and his gf seems to bring drama

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I will prefer Toffoli because Toffoli is more ES guy and Hoffman play on PP pretty well. Toffoli wil cheaper and he is little bit younger. 
Anyway if someone from that duo will sign with us for a reasonable deal i will pe pretty happy.

Give me both for all i care. I honestly couldnt care less about cost, we have space, we have Schneider and Zajac expiring eventually. $11m in more space.

• Like 1

If I were Mueller I would sign a contract with whatever team in Switzerland that will take me and never leave the country again. The country is so beautiful I am not sure why any citizen would want to leave...other than millions of dollars.

Also if we have anyone on the board from Mississippi or Cajun Devils' fans in Louisiana, be safe. Delta might be predicted a Cat 2 at landfall, but freaking Sally was a borderline Cat-3 and that was almost scarier than Sandy was in NY back in 2012.

28 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Beat me to it. Toffoli is the most appealing FA forward in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If I were Mueller I would sign a contract with whatever team in Switzerland that will take me and never leave the country again. The country is so beautiful I am not sure why any citizen would want to leave...other than millions of dollars.

Definitely want to go there some day. Where Nico is from looks beautiful. 

40 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Former Colorado Rocky and New Jersey Devil Merlin Malinowski played there for several seasons, after his NHL career ended at just 24 years old.  He not only shredded it in the Swiss leagues, but apparently loved it there, not surprisingly due to the scenic beauty in abundance there.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

No kidding, he was like a magician...

Was a shame, he was really projected to be a much better player in the NHL than he turned out to be.  Apparently (by his own admission) he wasn’t the hardest of workers.  Don Cherry couldn’t stand him.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

To be fair, I don’t think Don Cherry can stand anyone.

I have a DVD of a Rockies - Leafs games where Cherry was doing commentary, and he took a number of shots at him...said Malinowski must indeed be a magician because he was somehow magically still in the NHL...he had a nice breakaway goal in that game (though the goalie (Crha...yeah, that’s his name...was awful in his brief stint as an NHLer).  Cherry kinda begrudgingly mumbled something like “OK, that was pretty good.”

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Former Colorado Rocky and New Jersey Devil Merlin Malinowski played there for several seasons, after his NHL career ended at just 24 years old.  He not only shredded it in the Swiss leagues, but apparently loved it there, not surprisingly due to the scenic beauty in abundance there.

Great name. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Great name. 

Yeah usually makes the list of great hockey names.

Like Steve Tambellini, he saw his numbers fall off sharply once Lanny McDonald was traded to Calgary.  

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah usually makes the list of great hockey names.

Like Steve Tambellini, he saw his numbers fall off sharply once Lanny McDonald was traded to Calgary.  

Nashville drafted a kid in the 7th round today named Gunnarwolfe Fontaine. I think I have to give that one the nod for best name in the draft this year lol (with honorable mention going to Hendrix Lapierre and Mavrik Bourque).

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nashville drafted a kid in the 7th round today named Gunnarwolfe Fontaine. I think I have to give that one the nod for best name in the draft this year lol (with honorable mention going to Hendrix Lapierre and Mavrik Bourque).

10,000%. It’s so unfair that my name is so boring while there are people named Gunnarwolfe Fontaine out there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Definitely want to go there some day. Where Nico is from looks beautiful. 

I think Nico grew up not far from the Matterhorn. I can't imagine having something like that in my backyard, but Bern in general just looks gorgeous. Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Ireland are all on my list next time I get back to Europe.

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

If I'm Fitz I'm staying away from anyone who could bring even the slightest bit of drama into the locker room.  Way too many young guys that could pick up on bad habits.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If I'm Fitz I'm staying away from anyone who could bring even the slightest bit of drama into the locker room.  Way too many young guys that could pick up on bad habits.

Ruff is pretty good at managing attitudes, especially when he was in Buffalo. We have good leaders in that room as it is (Nico & Travis, specifically). They can handle the younger guys/peers.

I’m more worried about the breeding of a losing mentality culture than I am about bad attitudes. Get me goal scorers and guys who aren’t settling for losing.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Ruff is pretty good at managing attitudes, especially when he was in Buffalo. We have good leaders in that room as it is (Nico & Travis, specifically). They can handle the younger guys/peers.

I’m more worried about the breeding of a losing mentality culture than I am about bad attitudes. Get me goal scorers and guys who aren’t settling for losing.

How do we know that Nico is a "good leader"? To some extent I feel like we could never know who is, because we don't see what happens behind the scene. I know everyone expects Nico to be the next captain, but I'm not quite sure what he has done to elevate himself above anyone else in that regard. 

EDIT: And for once I'm not being snarky, I would actually like to hear an answer if there is one I am unaware of. 

Edited by mfitz804