The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't quite understand the structure... i understand that teams may want to keep "salary" low for a few years because of the state of finances for teams right now... but then why give an extra signing bonus? Then you endup giving the same amount of money. Or then if money wasnt an issue... then why split it like that and not just go with a 5m salary? Maybe it has to do with when they get the money. 3m up front vs through payments through the year?

With the CBA, do signing bonuses have to be paid out if a guy gets bought out? could be buyout protection essentially

58 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't quite understand the structure... i understand that teams may want to keep "salary" low for a few years because of the state of finances for teams right now... but then why give an extra signing bonus? Then you endup giving the same amount of money. Or then if money wasnt an issue... then why split it like that and not just go with a 5m salary? Maybe it has to do with when they get the money. 3m up front vs through payments through the year?

My guess is Petro's camp pressed for the bonus structure since that is guaranteed money. I'm fairly certain the buyout only counts towards the base, not the bonus. He's going to be like 37 or 38 years old before they can even consider a buyout in that last year and that will only split that 8m across 2 years vs paying it in 1. 

EDIT: Also, because duh, he has a full NMC so if they want to try and dump him on someone else once he is old and slow he has full control over where he goes.

Edited by NJDevils1214

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My guess is Petro's camp pressed for the bonus structure since that is guaranteed money. I'm fairly certain the buyout only counts towards the base, not the bonus. He's going to be like 37 or 38 years old before they can even consider a buyout in that last year and that will only split that 8m across 2 years vs paying it in 1. 

yeah that's making sense and making it one of those buyout proofs contract

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure how the WJC works, but personally, I don’t think anyone plying in the NHL can be deemed a “junior” player, regardless of age. They shouldn’t have NHLers playing. 

Also, what is he going to get out of playing against guys his age or younger? He's already proven he can compete, we need him to gain his experience against the tougher competition, IMO

16 hours ago, Guadana said:

Sad news.

at least its only two weeks.... for now

• Like 1

Really does seem like things are trending in a way that would indicate that a season might be further off than we thought.

I have had trouble getting a job because I moved right before Covid, so now I have been working at a country club/golf resort like I did when I was in HS and college. None of these people wear masks. Some just traveled in planes and they get to the resort and completely ignore signs on the doors that say to wear masks. The kids I work with are partying with their friends and really just don't care. Some have even had it and that only reaffirmed that they shouldn't care despite that it is about not spreading it to others as well. Even the people who were taking it seriously are getting complacent now. I wouldn't be surprised if it resurges and we are right back where we started in March. Not meant to be a rant but just an anecdotal rant because I'm going to be really sad if I can't watch my hockey team until late 2021 or 2022 or something.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Really does seem like things are trending in a way that would indicate that a season might be further off than we thought.

I have had trouble getting a job because I moved right before Covid, so now I have been working at a country club/golf resort like I did when I was in HS and college. None of these people wear masks. Some just traveled in planes and they get to the resort and completely ignore signs on the doors that say to wear masks. The kids I work with are partying with their friends and really just don't care. Some have even had it and that only reaffirmed that they shouldn't care despite that it is about not spreading it to others as well. Even the people who were taking it seriously are getting complacent now. I wouldn't be surprised if it resurges and we are right back where we started in March. Not meant to be a rant but just an anecdotal rant because I'm going to be really sad if I can't watch my hockey team until late 2021 or 2022 or something.

Cases appear to be rising again in NJ. Over 900 more were reported today I think. Also, flu season is on the way, so that helps no one. I actually got a flu shot the other day. But the mask thing infuriates me. Just wear it. It’s not a big deal. I wear one every time I go out now. I’ve gotten used to it. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, moustic said:

Paris is now under heavy curfew as the second wave hitting us hard since few weeks. They are doing whatever they can to keep people at work and not starting another lockdown but yeah... Wear this silly mask ! 

Where I moved from in eastern lol, where they were doing a damn good job of following CDC guidelines thanks in large part to the base, are getting absolutely HAMMERED with COVID now. I saw that county had 26.6 average daily new cases the past week.

18 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

my friend bet that if the Giants won yesterday he would streak down Union avenue in Paterson. This is gonna be fun.

Oh that's a brutal one. From the fact those clowns actually won, to Ron Rivera going for the win to "let his guys learn how to win," I'd hate to be your friend in this case.

Anyone pick up the new NHL video game?