2020 Free Agency Megathread

RunninWithTheDevil

20 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Fitz sayin all the right things. There’s a media call on YouTube. 

Well that's music to my ears and what i've been wanting from a GM all along.

It's strange though cause that seem to be the same message Shero had all along and why he got fired ultimately

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

It's strange though cause that seem to be the same message Shero had all along and why he got fired ultimately

Well, that and not firing Hynes sooner. Ownership might have got to a point where they felt Hynes was actively hurting the young guys progression. And I’m not sure they would have been wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, that and not firing Hynes sooner. Ownership might have got to a point where they felt Hynes was actively hurting the young guys progression. And I’m not sure they would have been wrong. 

Well its all about expectations. I remember saying when we made the playoffs that year that it was a curse in disguise cause we were NOT supposed to be there but that now the expectations would be that we were a playoffs team now when we really weren't. And sure enough those expectations not met after that was certainly weighting on many people's mind

But anyway, Fitz has the right mindset and i love it. I really don't care or get mad if we suck through a rebuild, i just want the team to be heading in the right direction, that's all we can ask

Edited by SterioDesign

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, he’s gets it. 

I feel pretty good about him as GM going forward honestly. 

I wasn't terribly happy with the Shakira Shakira pick at the time it was made, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on it.

I'm sure some will interpret his comments as trying to cover up for ownership being cheap, but I've never thought of the Devils' ownership as being penny-pinchers.  And Fitz isn't wrong...the team does appear to have two terrific centers, but Nico has to get through a full season without getting hurt and then regressing (as has happened the past couple of years), and Jack clearly needs some serious seasoning.  This is isn't yet the time to go all-in.     

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

I think the Hockey Gods owe us some good fortune for a change.  I really hope that Fitz gets a lot more of it than Shero did; for starters, that would mean the Devils get two years of Crawford being good (and not seeing his play fall off a cliff), Murray finding a way to stay healthy and effective for 65+ games, and Johnsson putting up similar numbers to what he did in 2018-19.  

And as we well know, the cupboard is much better stacked for Fitz than it was for Shero.  

Speaking of Shero, whatever happened to that guy?  It's like he's been in Witness Protection since he left the Devils.  I never hear a peep about him. 

Anyway, back to Fitz...it's fine if he wants to take the same "Build it up first and they will come" approach that his predecessor did (I support it), but if Fitz is going to sell us on that...then he better ready to follow through when that time finally comes.  No getting shut out or "We tried" in UFA if there's a few big names out there and one of them is clearly a fit for the Devils.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the Hockey Gods owe us some good fortune for a change.  I really hope that Fitz gets a lot more of it than Shero did; for starters, that would mean the Devils get two years of Crawford being good (and not seeing his play fall off a cliff), Murray finding a way to stay healthy and effective for 65+ games, and Johnsson putting up similar numbers to what he did in 2018-19.  

And as we well know, the cupboard is much better stacked for Fitz than it was for Shero.  

Speaking of Shero, whatever happened to that guy?  It's like he's been in Witness Protection since he left the Devils.  I never hear a peep about him. 

Anyway, back to Fitz...it's fine if he wants to take the same "Build it up first and they will come" approach that his predecessor did (I support it), but if Fitz is going to sell us on that...then he better ready to follow through when that time finally comes.  No getting shut out or "We tried" in UFA if there's a few big names out there and one of them is clearly a fit for the Devils.  

Yeah i think the switch was good cause the truth is... it was going to take more than 5 years to rebuild this team and be competitive again. But many fans were certainly not on board for that. But it's just a reality. Then a GM change is making it look like something was "done", when really nothing changed much, we're still on the same slow upswing or building a young core and building our prospects pool, waiting for the right opportunity to address current needs while keeping the future in mind.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i think the switch was good cause the truth is... it was going to take more than 5 years to rebuild this team and be competitive again. But many fans were certainly not on board for that. But it's just a reality. Then a GM change is making it look like something was "done", when really nothing changed much, we're still on the same slow upswing or building a young core and building our prospects pool, waiting for the right opportunity to address current needs while keeping the future in mind.

It's also good because even though Fitz was Shero's assistant, maybe he's not as tied to Shero's moves as Shero himself would've been...maybe a guy like Mueller gets one last shot here if Shero's still around.  I was glad to see Fitz move on from him.

Although the Devils still have cap space to play with (over $18 million), it's not like Fitz doesn't still have work to do:  Blackwood and Bratt still need to be signed, and we'll see if there's any circling back to extending Palms.  Any extension for Palms obviously wouldn't be felt until 2022-23, but I'm guessing once Blackwood and Bratt are re-upped, Devils will probably have about $12 - 13 million left in cap space.  Currently only five D under contract with big club, though hard to imagine Ty Smith won't get a serious shot to make the team.  I'm guessing one or two more low-to-mid tier, shorter-term signings will happen before this off-season's over.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's also good because even though Fitz was Shero's assistant, maybe he's not as tied to Shero's moves as Shero himself would've been...maybe a guy like Mueller gets one last shot here if Shero's still around.  I was glad to see Fitz move on from him.

Although the Devils still have cap space to play with (over $18 million), it's not like Fitz doesn't still have work to do:  Blackwood and Bratt still need to be signed, and we'll see if there's any circling back to extending Palms.  Any extension for Palms obviously wouldn't be felt until 2022-23, but I'm guessing once Blackwood and Bratt are re-upped, Devils will probably have about $12 - 13 million left in cap space.  Currently only five D under contract with big club, though hard to imagine Ty Smith won't get a serious shot to make the team.  I'm guessing one or two more low-to-mid tier, shorter-term signings will happen before this off-season's over.  

Yeah for sure. But i still think that's generally how most GM in the NHL would do it like that, its really the only way.

I always say though, you have to judge GM decisions based on if it was a good decision for the team and not how things turned out at times.

Like look in our history or look around the league. I brought this up often... It's not cause you don't look before crossing the road and don't get it by a car that it was a good thing to do. And the other way is also true, if you look... but take a risk to try to run through a highway and get hit... well that's on you.

We wouldn't be having this Shero discussion if Mojo, Subban, Mueller, etc etc panned out like the expectation were. Also Lou trading for Schneider was an amazing move on paper, we ALL loved it except the few brodeur blind fans. Ultimately it ended up being a terrible move. Without that.. we'd have many better player than we have now... but its obviously not his fault. Same for Shero with many of his moves. It was always... having a good deal on a way better player. But then the players sucked lol I mean... if we'd trade Wood for Sergachev. We'd be building a Fitz statue built out of our own teeth and hair if we had to.. but if Sergachev sh!t the bed and become Mueler 2.0... well fvck, what can you do haha

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah for sure. But i still think that's generally how most GM in the NHL would do it like that, its really the only way.

I always say though, you have to judge GM decisions based on if it was a good decision for the team and not how things turned out at times.

Like look in our history or look around the league. I brought this up often... It's not cause you don't look before crossing the road and don't get it by a car that it was a good thing to do. And the other way is also true, if you look... but take a risk to try to run through a highway and get hit... well that's on you.

We wouldn't be having this Shero discussion if Mojo, Subban, Mueller, etc etc panned out like the expectation were. Also Lou trading for Schneider was an amazing move on paper, we ALL loved it except the few brodeur blind fans. Ultimately it ended up being a terrible move. Without that.. we'd have many better player than we have now... but its obviously not his fault. Same for Shero with many of his moves. It was always... having a good deal on a way better player. But then the players sucked lol I mean... if we'd trade Wood for Sergachev. We'd be building a Fitz statue built out of our own teeth and hair if we had to.. but if Sergachev sh!t the bed and become Mueler 2.0... well fvck, what can you do haha

Good points all around EXCEPT that a trade for Sergachev would be significantly less risky than Mueller since he's a known  commodity at this point, and has a Cup.

Also, my contributions of hair to said statue would be minimal at best, and I like my teeth....

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Good points all around EXCEPT that a trade for Sergachev would be significantly less risky than Mueller since he's a known  commodity at this point, and has a Cup.

Also, my contributions of hair to said statue would be minimal at best, and I like my teeth....

No i didn't compare the Mueller's trade to a sergachev game i just mean if we'd trade for Sergachev and his quality of play drop drastically and he'd be on par with Mueller.

Kind of like Subban, Grabner and Mojo did when they came here. They had big upsides and completely sh!t the bed.

And mehhh trades nobody was pumped about like Maroon turned out great moves

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hair and teeth statues? What kind of weird sh!t you guys get up to in New Brunswick? Lol

Now I’m completely questioning the horror collection...

Wanna see a picture of the giant Hulk Hogan statue i made as a kid with my family's teeth and hair? 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The spot that made the most sense for him to win.

He's gonna go to Nashville to be with his security blankey, Hynes, isn't he?

I know MTL is going hard for him but he showed how he's handling fans/crowd turning on players... so MTL is the last place he should go to lol

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

The spot that made the most sense for him to win.

He's gonna go to Nashville to be with his security blankey, Hynes, isn't he?

Yeah I thought that Hall to the Avs was damned near preordained.

So curious to see what he finally signs for.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Wanna see a picture of the giant Hulk Hogan statue i made as a kid with my family's teeth and hair? 

I know MTL is going hard for him but he showed how he's handling fans/crowd turning on players... so MTL is the last place he should go to lol

The problem is if he goes up there, that fanbase will act like they just got a superstar (he’ll be measured against his 2017-18 season).  Hall won’t be that for them...he almost definitely won’t suck, but he’ll never live up to their expectations.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem is if he goes up there, that fanbase will act like they just got a superstar (he’ll be measured against his 2017-18 season).  Hall won’t be that for them...he almost definitely won’t suck, but he’ll never live up to their expectations.

oh thats for sure lol 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hall's plan is probably to get traded at the deadline for a contender while getting the most money out of a one year deal. smart

Before being signed as the centrepiece of the new Seattle Kraken franchise. 

• Like 1