2020 Free Agency Megathread

RunninWithTheDevil

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

oh son of a bitch... that was doable.... if we weren’t on his list...

Wonder if Fitz kicked the tires on that one.  

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

UPDATE: A few days late now, but I have beaten Dark Souls. Guess we'll have to settle for Crow...

My bad for not giving a prospect enough time to improve. 

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

oh son of a bitch... that was doable.... if we weren’t on his list...

That’s disappointing. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I’m sure Fitz inquired. Maybe we were on Schmidt’s no-trade list. 

Guy was only one year into a six-year deal too.  Five seasons left, his Age 29 - 33 seasons.  Would’ve been a nice grab, but yeah, if he had no interest in coming here (assuming Fitz wanted him to begin with), not much that could’ve been done.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

seeing this kind of stuff just stings. 

One of those deals where damned near everyone who DIDN’T land him is thinking “Why the fvck couldn’t OUR TEAM make that happen?!”

If anything, kinda surprised someone didn’t step up and beat that offer.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of those deals where damned near everyone who DIDN’T land him is thinking “Why the fvck couldn’t OUR TEAM make that happen?!”

If anything, kinda surprised someone didn’t step up and beat that offer.  

yes sir, especially when we're sitting on and reminded of how much cap space we have on paper than we never spend. Having it and having the willingness to spend it are two different things. Until they show me different I don't believe they are willing to go to the cap.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I see. But he signed Varlamov a year ago with the anticipation of signing Sorokin. Then he dropped a career back up for a top goalie prospect. Seems like he decided a combination of Varlamov and Sorokin was better than Lehner and Greiss, which the jury will probably be out on until we see what Sorokin can do in the NHL. I don't see where Schneider fits in unless he was ok with Bridgeport, though. 

As for letting Lehner and Greiss go for "nothing", eh. What does it tell the team if trade your starter in 2019 before the playoffs? Or if you dump your backup in 2020 for a late round pick? Its a good young team, get in the playoffs and make a little noise. The playoff experience is important 

Maybe you need a refresher... 

2018-2019 - Lehner 46gp .930 season/.936 playoffs (UFA) VEZINA TROPHY FINALIST / Greiss 43gp .927 - Amazing season for both goalies. Why you wouldnt just want to keep this tandem, i don't know.

Lehner goes on record to say how much he wants to remain with the team. How he wish not to have to make it to free agency after dealing with depression and alcoholism that led to self-medication and suicidal thoughts. Trotz says how much he wants him back and that he's a great fit for the team. Lou says "we want him back". But obviously as usual let it drag all the way to july 1st (like Elias called him out for) Lou finally engages and talks break down. Lou moves on from a goalie who wanted to stay, who just gave you a .930/.936 save %, saying how much he doesn't want to make it to free agency because of all the mental stuff he's been through and how much the team helped him with that.

Then goes and sign Varlamov coming off a fvcking amazing .909 season to replace him, who then proceeded to have a way better season with a slapping .914. While Lehner was having a better season in Chicago stat wize. Lehner signed for 1m/1year. Varlamov signed for 5m/4 years. So it's not like Lehner was asking for too much or that he wanted too much term. But thats all hindsight 20/20.

So... Lou straight up said he wanted him back. Waited til last minute as usual, likely lowballed him like we know he always does and Lehner was forced to move on and Lou had to replace him. The results he got was NOT his initial plan, he and Tortz straight up said they wanted him back and Lehner wanted to be back. So who fvcked up there? What's the pattern that we're all so used to see in this case? Where's the good decision there?

We can argue you and I about the validity of trading or not trading a player at the deadline even if you'd lose assets in the process. That's fine. I'm sure there's situations where we'd agree or not agree with it depending on the situation of the team and many other factors, right? It's not a black and white thing. But with Lou there's no debate, he does it his way and that's it no matter the situation. So that's my point. With Lou it's always the "a clock in right twice a day" thing when things turns out to go right. If you analyze his decisions or lack of decisions. They are never really decisions, they are just results of his typical ways.

And now again... let a .913 backup walk, sign with someone else... then has to sign replace him with a .887 goalie or a goalie who never played a game in the NHL. Where's the good plan here? Is that what you would have done?

Edited by SterioDesign

29 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yes sir, especially when we're sitting on and reminded of how much cap space we have on paper than we never spend. Having it and having the willingness to spend it are two different things. Until they show me different I don't believe they are willing to go to the cap.

Wrong example to go with...like I said, if Schmidt didn’t have the Devils on his list, not much that could be done.

Also, doesn’t make sense to spend up to the cap at this time.  Team isn’t close enough to contend for a Cup.  Also a chunk of the remaining space for this year will be used for Bratt and Blackwood.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wrong example to go with...like I said, if Schmidt didn’t have the Devils on his list, not much that could be done.

Also, doesn’t make sense to spend up to the cap at this time.  Team isn’t close enough to contend for a Cup.  Also a chunk of the remaining space for this year will be used for Bratt and Blackwood.  

I'm talking in general (not necessarily only relating to this one specific player) rather over the last what seems like forever number of years when it comes to the cap. Not looking at this in a vacuum by any means but the bigger picture. If anything, I believe the bigger picture supports the history of nothing but talk about all this cap space we're sitting on but never use nor will we.

37 minutes ago, titans04 said:

They just cut a check to Schneider for $12 million to play for someone else, and they leveraged Johnsson and Murray out of cap-strapped Toronto and Columbus. You can’t win ‘em all.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I'm talking in general (not necessarily only relating to this one specific player) rather over the last what seems like forever number of years when it comes to the cap. Not looking at this in a vacuum by any means but the bigger picture. If anything, I believe the bigger picture supports the history of nothing but talk about all this cap space we're sitting on but never use nor will we.

They let Lou spend as much as he wanted, often to a detrimental degree.

Ray clearly wanted flexibility as he tried to build a team back up from scratch.  Spending up to the cap (given what he inherited) wasn’t going to work any miracles.  

Fitz has made it clear that the time isn’t now to add big contracts, and he’s right.  Do you disagree?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They just cut a check to Schneider for $12 million to play for someone else, and they leveraged Johnsson and Murray out of cap-strapped Toronto and Columbus. You can’t win ‘em all.

True.

When you're working with a limited amount of cap you have to spend it wisely right?  Johnsson and Murray (hopefully his back holds up) are not bad players. Are they going to be key players making this team a serious challenger down the road?  I'm not really looking to win them all but I am looking to not be an also ran coming after how many years of junk hockey? Feels like too many to me. For you guys that have way more patience that's great I'm just way past that at this point.

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

True.

When you're working with a limited amount of cap you have to spend it wisely right?  Johnsson and Murray (hopefully his back holds up) are not bad players. Are they going to be key players making this team a serious challenger down the road?  I'm not really looking to win them all but I am looking to not be an also ran coming after how many years of junk hockey? Feels like too many to me. For you guys that have way more patience that's great I'm just way past that at this point.

Obviously Schmidt would’ve been a nice pick-up, but we have no idea if he wanted to come here. If Fitz tried and Schmidt wasn’t interested, not much you can do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

True.

I went into the off-season thinking we would barely scrape the cap floor and being pessimistic about free agents/acquisitions because I worried about ownership, like you.

but as others have made clear, we’re spending. Murray came out of no where, then Johansson. Crawford wasn’t who I’d thought we’d get cause I figured they’d pinch pennies again and we’d roll with (excuse me while I choke this back) Kinkaid 2.0 or worse, keep Cory.

I’m really bummed we lost out on Schmidt but I have a sinking feeling he had us on his list, don’t blame him either to be honest.

that being said, a good number of teams STILL aren’t out of the woods, hell we’re only 3 days into free agency with a good chunk of good people still out there in limbo alone. Other teams still need to get their RFAs under the cap as well.

sure, the defensive UFA options are not very enticing if at all, but based on the three moves already (Murray, Crow, Johansson) I at least have that, “alright, let’s see how they do now.” Feeling instead of “Jesus it’s gonna be a long damn year”

I also don’t think it’s going to be a year of junk hockey, hell I’d be more worried about the season if I was a Sabres fan to be honest. your big move is bringing in ANOTHER high priced forward with one outstanding year to show for their record other than some decent consistently, and you still haven’t dont ANYTHING to address your atrocious goaltending. sh!t at least we have two guys who are top 20 in  save percentage. 

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Maybe you need a refresher... 

2018-2019 - Lehner 46gp .930 season/.936 playoffs (UFA) VEZINA TROPHY FINALIST / Greiss 43gp .927 - Amazing season for both goalies. Why you wouldnt just want to keep this tandem, i don't know.

Lehner goes on record to say how much he wants to remain with the team. How he wish not to have to make it to free agency after dealing with depression and alcoholism that led to self-medication and suicidal thoughts. Trotz says how much he wants him back and that he's a great fit for the team. Lou says "we want him back". But obviously as usual let it drag all the way to july 1st (like Elias called him out for) Lou finally engages and talks break down. Lou moves on from a goalie who wanted to stay, who just gave you a .930/.936 save %, saying how much he doesn't want to make it to free agency because of all the mental stuff he's been through and how much the team helped him with that.

Then goes and sign Varlamov coming off a fvcking amazing .909 season to replace him, who then proceeded to have a way better season with a slapping .914. While Lehner was having a better season in Chicago stat wize. Lehner signed for 1m/1year. Varlamov signed for 5m/4 years. So it's not like Lehner was asking for too much or that he wanted too much term. But thats all hindsight 20/20.

So... Lou straight up said he wanted him back. Waited til last minute as usual, likely lowballed him like we know he always does and Lehner was forced to move on and Lou had to replace him. The results he got was NOT his initial plan, he and Tortz straight up said they wanted him back and Lehner wanted to be back. So who fvcked up there? What's the pattern that we're all so used to see in this case? Where's the good decision there?

We can argue you and I about the validity of trading or not trading a player at the deadline even if you'd lose assets in the process. That's fine. I'm sure there's situations where we'd agree or not agree with it depending on the situation of the team and many other factors, right? It's not a black and white thing. But with Lou there's no debate, he does it his way and that's it no matter the situation. So that's my point. With Lou it's always the "a clock in right twice a day" thing when things turns out to go right. If you analyze his decisions or lack of decisions. They are never really decisions, they are just results of his typical ways.

And now again... let a .913 backup walk, sign with someone else... then has to sign replace him with a .887 goalie or a goalie who never played a game in the NHL. Where's the good plan here? Is that what you would have done?

Don't you ever get tired of typing these essays again and again? Jeez. No one can even have a normal discussion without you coming in with a lecture. He wanted a Russian tandem. Oh well. Maybe Lehner should have learned Russian. 

Listen to yourself. You're throwing another tantrum because a GM you say you aren't obsessed with let a back up goalie go in free agency. 

Like really? He's been gone 5 and a half years. Just let it go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Don't you ever get tired of typing these essays again and again? Jeez. No one can even have a normal discussion without you coming in with a lecture. He wanted a Russian tandem. Oh well. Maybe Lehner should have learned Russian. 

Listen to yourself. You're throwing another tantrum because a GM you say you aren't obsessed with let a back up goalie go in free agency. 

Like really? He's been gone 5 and a half years. Just let it go. 

Did i get you in a corner or something? lol How 'bout you address what i actually said instead of getting personal attempting to discredit my point? Especially since you engaged the conversation with me and asked questions.

Go on and answer something smart. Your russian thing makes no sense. You know what i get tired of? People like you who don't want to understand what im saying so even if im making a long post going in details, they still miss my point completely cause they don't want to. I literally explained in details how he let go of his #1 goalie who was nominated for the vezina and replaced it with a goalie who didn't have a good season. Yet you bring it down to me making it about letting a backup goalie. You completely missed the whole point.

you literally asked me 

As for letting Lehner and Greiss go for "nothing", eh. What does it tell the team if trade your starter in 2019 before the playoffs? Or if you dump your backup in 2020 for a late round pick? Its a good young team, get in the playoffs and make a little noise. The playoff experience is important 

Well what does it tell a team when you let the goalie who led them to the finals, got nominated for the vezina and that the coach wanted walk when he wanted to stay and sign another goalie who just had a subpar season? Tell me how that is a smart decision

Do you even have any arguments here?

Edited by SterioDesign

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Don't you ever get tired of typing these essays again and again? Jeez. No one can even have a normal discussion without you coming in with a lecture.

When SD and CR1976 get into it, I have to stop reading, not because I don’t find their posts interesting, I just don’t have the time to read a novel about hockey. 

;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3