Trade: Ryan Murray from CBJ for a 5th Rd

jagknife

Reminds me of the Vatanen trade (obviously for a much lower cost) - a second pairing guy who is going to come into the Devils organization and be one of their top defenseman. Let's see if he rises to the challenge like Sami did.

I'm a fan of moves like this, and I like Murray. A change of scenery could be what Murray needs. Let's hope for a healthy Devils career for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

How can anyone not like this move? It's for a 5th. 

The fact that it was only for a 5th makes it feel more like a UFA signing, where the Devils signed him for one year and $4.6 million (so basically, the money saved against the cap in 2020-21 by buying out Cory wound up being used here, plus another $600k).  Looking at it this way reminds me of when Simmonds was signed as a UFA, in that it's easy at first to feel like $4.6 million is kind of a lot for a guy like Murray...until you factor in that the Devils have loads and loads of cap space (and bought themselves even more for the next couple of seasons with Schneider's buyout).  Basically, for 2020-21, it doesn't matter if Murray is making $3 million or $7 million.  His one-year hit won't affect the Devils' ability to make any other moves.

I see it as a stopgap, one-year filler kind of move with some upside, though like SD alluded to, the better-case and best-case scenarios you hope to see don't usually play out.  As a Mets fan (for years that team has been trying to sell their fans on a bag of IF moves that don't usually pan out...this year was a perfect example of that), there's a part of me that does get a little tired of "Well if this guy who's constantly getting hurt manages to stay healthy, then..."  Problem is injury-prone players don't tend to stumble upon some Fountain of Health...the one guy that I can think of that did as a Devil was Dainius Zubrus.  Some guys are just brittle/unlucky/cursed.  My main beef with injury-prone guys (Cammalleri comes to mind) is that just when they seem to be settling in and making it easy to warm up to them...BAM!...something happens, they miss 10-15 games, get back into the lineup, need another 5-7 games to start to get back into the swing, and then you're wondering when the next injury is coming.  Like the tweet that Titans quoted says...it's not like Murray can't play, it's that you have no idea how much he can play.    

To be clear, I'm not criticizing the move...from a pure asset standpoint, it's a fine move.  Really only cost the Devils some found money, and Murray will likely only be here for one season.  If all breaks well, like MB3 mentioned, the Devils might be able to flip him for something more than what they gave up to bring him in.  What I'm expecting will probably happen is that Murray plays fairly well, but only plays for 30-50 games...hopefully he's healthy as the deadline approaches.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The fact that it was only for a 5th makes it feel more like a UFA signing, where the Devils signed him for one year and $4.6 million (so basically, the money saved against the cap in 2020-21 by buying out Cory wound up being used here, plus another $600k).  Looking at it this way reminds me of when Simmonds was signed as a UFA, in that it's easy at first to feel like $4.6 million is kind of a lot for a guy like Murray...until you factor in that the Devils have loads and loads of cap space (and bought themselves even more for the next couple of seasons with Schneider's buyout).  Basically, for 2020-21, it doesn't matter if Murray is making $3 million or $7 million.  His one-year hit won't affect the Devils' ability to make any other moves.I

Well stated, and also, assures us of making the cap floor when we fail to utilize our cap space again. Maybe the dude has a great year and we bring him back. Maybe we don’t. 

If all that I get out of this is not having to watch Mueller for another season, $4.6m well spent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The fact that it was only for a 5th makes it feel more like a UFA signing, where the Devils signed him for one year and $4.6 million (so basically, the money saved against the cap in 2020-21 by buying out Cory wound up being used here, plus another $600k).  Looking at it this way reminds me of when Simmonds was signed as a UFA, in that it's easy at first to feel like $4.6 million is kind of a lot for a guy like Murray...until you factor in that the Devils have loads and loads of cap space (and bought themselves even more for the next couple of seasons with Schneider's buyout).  Basically, for 2020-21, it doesn't matter if Murray is making $3 million or $7 million.  His one-year hit won't affect the Devils' ability to make any other moves.

I see it as a stopgap, one-year filler kind of move with some upside, though like SD alluded to, the better-case and best-case scenarios you hope to see don't usually play out.  As a Mets fan (for years that team has been trying to sell their fans on a bag of IF moves that don't usually pan out...this year was a perfect example of that), there's a part of me that does get a little tired of "Well if this guy who's constantly getting hurt manages to stay healthy, then..."  Problem is injury-prone players don't tend to stumble upon some Fountain of Health...the one guy that I can think of that did as a Devil was Dainius Zubrus.  Some guys are just brittle/unlucky/cursed.  My main beef with injury-prone guys (Cammalleri comes to mind) is that just when they seem to be settling in and making it easy to warm up to them...BAM!...something happens, they miss 10-15 games, get back into the lineup, need another 5-7 games to start to get back into the swing, and then you're wondering when the next injury is coming.  Like the tweet that Titans quoted says...it's not like Murray can't play, it's that you have no idea how much he can play.    

To be clear, I'm not criticizing the move...from a pure asset standpoint, it's a fine move.  Really only cost the Devils some found money, and Murray will likely only be here for one season.  If all breaks well, like MB3 mentioned, the Devils might be able to flip him for something more than what they gave up to bring him in.  What I'm expecting will probably happen is that Murray plays fairly well, but only plays for 30-50 games...hopefully he's healthy as the deadline approaches.     

I feel like Bratt is one of those players. Just as he is hitting his stride , something goes wrong. 

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I feel like Bratt is one of those players. Just as he is hitting his stride , something goes wrong. 

Another guy we here I’m just waiting to see him have “his year”. Yes, he is young, still developing, etc. 

I just want to see things go his way. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Well stated, and also, assures us of making the cap floor when we fail to utilize our cap space again. Maybe the dude has a great year and we bring him back. Maybe we don’t. 

If all that I get out of this is not having to watch Mueller for another season, $4.6m well spent

And like you said, if the dude stays healthy, we can either trade him at the deadline, or lock up defender mid-season

Bratt’s already way ahead of schedule when you factor in his age and where he was drafted. It’s funny to me Rags fans actually think Chiytl (with his 49 P in 144 GP) is right there with Bratt at this point. Yeah, Bratt has played more top 6 minutes but there’s a reason for that (aside from the Devils being bad). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt’s already way ahead of schedule when you factor in his age and where he was drafted. It’s funny to me Rags fans actually think Chiytl (with his 49 P in 144 GP) is right there with Bratt at this point. Yeah, Bratt has played more top 6 minutes but there’s a reason for that (aside from the Devils being bad). 

Well there is no question he has exceeded the expectations based on his draft position. Guys in the 6th round fail to even make the NHL, he did it a year after he was drafted. 

22 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Am I crazy or is this.. crazy good value?

Pretty much nothing for this guy, seems like a good bottom 6 player.

My buddy who works for the Blue Jackets (actually got let go this week because of Covid and they can't sell anything) said that Murray can be a borderline top pair defenseman if he's healthy, but that he rarely is.  He said he's great when he is, but that it's common for him to play 10 games, get hurt, come back, play 10 more, get hurt again, and so forth. Essentially not to get our hopes up lol.  But for a 5th, I think it's definitely good value.  Really low risk on our part, so why not take a shot.  I'm all for it. 

• Like 1