Devils Sign Crawford, 2 years, $3.9 per.

jagknife

Just now, Nicomo said:

Won’t he have to be exposed to Seattle being on a 2 year deal? 

Other than that I like it. Bit long in the tooth, but he’s still playing at a high level. .917sv% this season. 

What I meant was he will be our fodder for the Kraken. Beats Mac or a younger guy. Unless its NMC, of course.

Just now, Nicomo said:

Won’t he have to be exposed to Seattle being on a 2 year deal? 

Other than that I like it. Bit long in the tooth, but he’s still playing at a high level. .917sv% this season. 

Yeah, but who cares? You were going to protect Blackwood anyway, so the other guy has to be exposed, right?

To me, this is a huge upgrade. Someone explain to my what Schneider’s cap hit will be for the next 2 years, please. I’d like to see what we are actually paying for having made this happen. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WaffleFries said:

I am assuming that the idea here is to have a goalie able to be exposed to Seattle while also giving us a backup/1B goalie. I think its a good deal but pay seems a bit on the high side.

Look at it this way, his pay plus Cory's = a viable goalie. He is a viable goalie and can stop pucks often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

What I meant was he will be our fodder for the Kraken. Beats Mac or a younger guy. Unless its NMC, of course.

Yeah, but then we’re right back in the same boat of needing another goalie. But I guess we could just pick up another FA next year, or trade for someone. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, but who cares? You were going to protect Blackwood anyway, so the other guy has to be exposed, right?

To me, this is a huge upgrade. Someone explain to my what Schneider’s cap hit will be for the next 2 years, please. I’d like to see what we are actually paying for having made this happen. 

Well, no. Not if we only signed him for one year. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, but then we’re right back in the same boat of needing another goalie. But I guess we could just pick up another FA next year, or trade for someone. 

Or one of the young guys are in position to make the jump next year, if not, oh well. we can find a replacement. cause probably somone isnt taken by the Kraken.

Just now, Nicomo said:

I don’t see this as an issue. There will be plenty of goalies available to Seattle and I’m not thinking he’d be the top of that list. 

Just now, jagknife said:

Look at it this way, his pay plus Cory's = a viable goalie. He is a viable goalie and can stop pucks often.

Oh I am not worried about a little bit of an over-payment here. It is my only negative thought about the deal and its minor. Its only a two year deal and its not like we gave him 3 million over what i think he should have gotten.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Or one of the young guys are in position to make the jump next year, if not, oh well. we can find a replacement. cause probably somone isnt taken by the Kraken.

True. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, but what’s the difference?? 

None, I guess. 

• Like 1

Also, guy was #11 in save percentage this season among guys with at least 30 games played. I’m not so sure we overpaid him. 

EDIT: If you take guys who played 40 or more games, he’s 6th in save percentage. Better than Blackwood, Varlamov and Samsonov. And WAY better than Fleury. 

I’m liking this signing. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2