Devils Sign Crawford, 2 years, $3.9 per.

jagknife

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

I'm liking Fitz's moves since the start of his tenure. 

It feels like he’s doing the best he can within realistic expectations. We were never getting a top coach like Gallant or Lav, or a top FA, but he’s made perfectly solid choices. 

Going off the board a bit with our #20 pick was a bit surprising, but whatever, we had 3 picks. Could be CBJ...

• Like 5

Solid signing, term feels right.  Blackwood/Crawford tandem should be a good one.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He played in a bunch with Anaheim.

Oh I know it wasn’t in NJ lol

I just didn’t realize it was 30 something. But I guess the Ducks did go all the way to the WCF his last year there. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

Good move, they have someone who imo will become the #1 when blackwood regresses from last season (similar to Kinkaid after his great season).  

Personally I wouldve loved a hybrid goalie instead of a butterfly as I think they are better and less injury prone (yes, I'm biased as I play that style)

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, but who cares? You were going to protect Blackwood anyway, so the other guy has to be exposed, right?

To me, this is a huge upgrade. Someone explain to my what Schneider’s cap hit will be for the next 2 years, please. I’d like to see what we are actually paying for having made this happen. 

Schneider hit is $2 million in dead money for the next four seasons...of course, the Devils dumping him allowed them to regain $4 million in cap space that they otherwise wouldn’t have had in 2020-21 and 2021-22.  Being that Crawford’s hit is $3.9 million per season, basically the Devils have saved $100k over each of the next two seasons by not keeping Schneider (and effectively upgrading their goaltending).

On a side note, FWIW, Craw finished last season with a flourish...put up a .929 save% over his last 19 GP.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

29 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Good move, they have someone who imo will become the #1 when blackwood regresses from last season (similar to Kinkaid after his great season).  

Personally I wouldve loved a hybrid goalie instead of a butterfly as I think they are better and less injury prone (yes, I'm biased as I play that style)

Blackwood is 23 and has been on a steady incline, even receiving Calder Trophy votes. 

Kinkaid was undrafted and didn't make the NHL until he was 26 and that was only because Marty and Moose were hurt and Frazee's brain exploded. He had a good 40 game run when he was 29 and then went back to being bad. They don't compare. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Re: Seattle, I think it’s that you have to expose 1, not necessarily protect. So I think Cormier or Senn can be exposed. 

I don’t think that’s accurate, I think you can only protect one goalie. Additionally, you are required to expose one who is under contract for 2021-22, so there’s why Crawford was signed for two years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schneider hit is $2 million in dead money for the next four seasons...of course, the Devils dumping him allowed them to regain $4 million in cap space that they otherwise wouldn’t have had in 2020-21 and 2021-22.  Being that Crawford’s hit is $3.9 million per season, basically the Devils have saved $100k over each of the next two seasons by not keeping Schneider (and effectively upgrading their goaltending).

Thanks, that’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure. Basically an even swap salary wise but a huge upgrade, for two years. Worry about the $2m in each of the next 2 years later. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Blackwood is 23 and has been on a steady incline, even receiving Calder Trophy votes. 

Kinkaid was undrafted and didn't make the NHL until he was 26 and that was only because Marty and Moose were hurt and Frazee's brain exploded. He had a good 40 game run when he was 29 and then went back to being bad. They don't compare. 

Agree with everything except KK being bad before he had that good run.  He had been a decent backup in seasons prior.  Unfortunately Cory’s struggles forced the Devils to keep asking too much out of Kinkaid, and he was exposed more and more...sadly, it looks like he never recovered from that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with everything except KK being bad before he had that good run.  He had been a decent backup in seasons prior.  Unfortunately Cory’s struggles forced the Devils to keep asking too much out of Kinkaid, and he was exposed more and more...sadly, it looks like he never recovered from that.

You're right. I shouldn't have said back to bad. He was a perfectly good backup before his great run. I think some people were fooled into thinking that was a few normal for him