Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Boqvist is only 21. Still super early in seeing what he is. 

For sure.  I try to be optimistic and I'm hopeful that he might be able to solidify a spot in the lineup in the near future, but at the moment he's still a big time question mark. Probably even more so than guys like McLeod and Bastian, and they've been around a little longer and they're still wildcards themselves. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

For sure.  I try to be optimistic and I'm hopeful that he might be able to solidify a spot in the lineup in the near future, but at the moment he's still a big time question mark. Probably even more so than guys like McLeod and Bastian, and they've been around a little longer and they're still wildcards themselves. 

He’s definitely shown more than McLeod already. 4 goals in 35 GP (and a couple in the shootout). 

McLeod still has a goose egg. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly don’t see what future McLeod may have here outside of centering the fourth line one day. He really doesn’t bring much to the table. 

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly don’t see what future McLeod may have here outside of centering the fourth line one day. He really doesn’t bring much to the table. 

Get the feeling he eventually gets moved as part of a package for something else.  Just don’t see much there.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Great start to this offseason. That’s a bonafide top-9 winger for a complete “meh” of a player. 

Too early to assume that Anderson’s already reached his ceiling, but I have no issue whatsoever with Fitz taking a shot here.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don't really disagree, but if people are going to make the argument that Boqvist is young and therefore has potential, then you have to say McLeod is too...he's only 22 and has only played in 33 games lol.  

58 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s definitely shown more than McLeod already. 4 goals in 35 GP (and a couple in the shootout). 

McLeod still has a goose egg. 

Boqvist...4G, 0A, 4pts in 35 games.... McLeod...0G, 5A, 5pts in 33 games.  Boqvist born Oct 30th, 1998, McLeod born Feb 3rd, 1998.  To me their nearly identical, and based on that limited information, I don't know how you give up on McLeod any quicker than Boqvist lol.

Just now, MB3 said:

Boqvist has looked infinitely better in the AHL and in his NHL cup of coffee since he’s been drafted than McLeod, even if the points don’t show it. 

I dunno, I didn't really see a whole lot there.  To each their own though.  I think some people rated him higher for the silly reason of having Jesper and Jesper on the team.  

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Boqvist...4G, 0A, 4pts in 35 games.... McLeod...0G, 5A, 5pts in 33 games.  Boqvist born Oct 30th, 1998, McLeod born Feb 3rd, 1998.  To me their nearly identical, and based on that limited information, I don't know how you give up on McLeod any quicker than Boqvist lol.

I just like Boqvist skillset more. McLeod brings very little outside his speed. If he had hands to match his wheels it would be a different story. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I just like Boqvist skillset more. McLeod brings very little outside his speed. If he had hands to match his wheels it would be a different story. 

That's true.  I kinda wonder if he could ever parlay himself into being a defensive-minded centerman, someone maybe to take the role of Zajac and kill penalties in the near future, but that's probably wishful thinking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't really disagree, but if people are going to make the argument that Boqvist is young and therefore has potential, then you have to say McLeod is too...he's only 22 and has only played in 33 games lol.  

McLeod plays a position that is basically spoken for in the organization though. The top three centers for the foreseeable future are Hischier, Hughes, and Zacha. McLeod doesn’t really do anything particularly well. He’s fast. He can skate. But he really doesn’t do much of anything else. Boqvist has at least shown flashes of scoring ability in the SHL, which is a tough league. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

People on this board love Boqvist. I don’t see it so far. It’s like when I used to say how Jacob Josefson was awful and everyone said he wasn’t. Or when Zacha was sh!tting the bed and getting demoted to the AHL, but people kept saying he was the best player on the ice. 

Why McLeod doesn’t get the same treatment, I don’t know. 

And before everyone gets all worked up, I’m not saying Boqvist is a bust, yes he is young, yes he could develop into something. But he hasn’t shown me much of anything thus far. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

McLeod plays a position that is basically spoken for in the organization though. The top three centers for the foreseeable future are Hischier, Hughes, and Zacha. McLeod doesn’t really do anything particularly well. He’s fast. He can skate. But he really doesn’t do much of anything else. Boqvist has at least shown flashes of scoring ability in the SHL, which is a tough league. 

I'm probably one of the few defenders of Zacha because of his penalty killing ability, but even I don't think his position on the team is particularly safe.  You think it is?

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

People on this board love Boqvist. I don’t see it so far. It’s like when I used to say how Jacob Josefson was awful and everyone said he wasn’t. Or when Zacha was sh!tting the bed and getting demoted to the AHL, but people kept saying he was the best player on the ice. 

And before everyone gets all worked up, I’m not saying Boqvist is a bust, yes he is young, yes he could develop into something. But he hasn’t shown me much of anything thus far. 

1000%. That's a good comparison.

I'm not giving up on either of them or calling either one a bust either - they're both so young, so I'll remain hopeful, but as of now I view them both the same, in terms of current effectiveness, and future potential production. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm probably one of the few defenders of Zacha because of his penalty killing ability, but even I don't think his position on the team is particularly safe.  You think it is?

Maybe, maybe not.... but I know that McLeod isn’t taking Zacha’s job anytime soon unless he learns how to do something other than skate. Zacha is never gonna be confused with Steve Yzerman, but at the very least, he’s an excellent penalty killer and plays a solid defensive game. 

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don’t think Zacha’s job is safe. But it’s safe from McLeod. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

1000%. That's a good comparison.

I'm not giving up on either of them or calling either one a bust either - they're both so young, so I'll remain hopeful, but as of now I view them both the same, in terms of current effectiveness, and future potential production. 

Eh I don’t agree with that comparison at all. Josefson had 5 goals through his first 2 seasons. Boqvist has 4 through his first 35 games. He obviously has better finish than JJ did. And JJ was playing on much better teams, too. 

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe, maybe not.... but I know that McLeod isn’t taking Zacha’s job anytime soon unless he learns how to do something other than skate. Zacha is never gonna be confused with Steve Yzerman, but at the very least, he’s an excellent penalty killer and plays a solid defensive game. 

I personally think Zacha’s defense is vastly overrated by some fans (being a solid PKer =/= good defensively). But he absolutely brings more than McLeod. Zacha has a good shot, and his passing has improved over the years. I remember when he couldn’t buy an assist. He also has decent size. Sadly he just doesn’t use it enough. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh I don’t agree with that comparison at all. Josefson had 5 goals through his first 2 seasons. Boqvist has 4 through his first 35 games. He obviously has better finish than JJ did. And JJ was playing on much better teams, too. 

The comparison was the way people on this board put their lips on his a$$, not their play.