Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

His hand are not even close to being great. 

This is accurate through 33. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s one of those things that comes later without showing at least signs of it early on. I don’t anticipate great things from him. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

It’s already been pointed out that McLeod has also been disappointing in the AHL. Boqvist has been more productive in a the far better SHL. 

McLeod’s best year in the AHL: 

6 G 27 A 33 P 55 GP

Boqvist best year in the SHL:

13 G 22 A 35 P 51 GP

So Boqvist has been better (especially scoring goals) in the 3rd best league in the world, while McLeod has overall been fairly underwhelming in a minor league. 

Do you see why many would be higher on one over the other now? 

Not to the point where people should be praising Boqvist as highly as they were, even before he played an NHL game, and certainly before he even had an NHL point.

Does Boqvist have a better upside? Sure. But that wasn’t what I was discussing. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

This is accurate through 33. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s one of those things that comes later without showing at least signs of it early on. I don’t anticipate great things from him. 

If he had hands to match his speed he would have been worthy of nearly being a top 10 pick. I just don’t see much there though. 

It’s pretty annoying knowing we could have had Charlie McAvoy or Jake Bean with that pick. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not to the point where people should be praising Boqvist as highly as they were, even before he played an NHL game, and certainly before he even had an NHL point.

Does Boqvist have a better upside? Sure. But that wasn’t what I was discussing. 

image.gif.2c3e74e24cb0be7444a3dc20ee432d80.gif

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s WAAAY too soon. The question is why he’s a bum after 33 games when a guy like Boqvist is so highly regarded after 35. It’s unreasonable. Either of those buys could develop into something much better, or could fail to develop at all and wind up playing in the AHL or Europe in a couple of years. 

Personally, from my eye test Boqvist so far looks smarter and more talented. But yeah still early for both.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If he had hands to match his speed he would have been worthy of nearly being a top 10 pick. I just don’t see much there though. 

It’s pretty annoying knowing we could have had Charlie McAvoy or Jake Bean with that pick. 

Or Alex DeBrincat, a relative steal at #39. 

20 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Sure, but you can’t cherry pick drafts like that.

No, you can’t. That’s why I try to never look back. You draft who you think will be the best at the time, sometimes you’re wrong. 

We were probably wrong on McLeod.

59 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It’s an absurd point on a terrible hockey team with a terrible coaching staff and terrible linemates, and no amount of you internet bullying changes that.

There was no bullying. We disagreed on a point. Even you should be able to understand that. 

Edited by mfitz804

In 2018-19, Johnsson had a stretch where he put up 18 goals and 19 assists over 48 games.  Would be awesome if he can have runs like that here.  As much I liked Anderson, I can’t imagine him ever being that productive over a similar number of games.  Makes me like this deal even more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not even sure we’ll see Anderson in the NHL this season. This deal was a no brainer. 

It’s a shame for Anderson if he doesn’t get any time up with the big club this season...he’s obviously not a finished product, but he’s NHL-ready.

As for the no-brainer comment...not only do I agree with you, I’m a little surprised that the Leafs couldn’t pry something else out of the Devils (say, a 3rd or 4th round pick).  But when you’re in cap trouble and other teams know it, clearly that kills your leverage.

41 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hoping this trade has the same outcome at the Palms trade. Skillful player underused in an bottom 6 role getting a shot higher up. 

I'll go one further...I think Fitz snagged Johnsson to be Palms' replacement.  I think Palms very much wants to stay, but I don't think Fitz is bullish on keeping him long-term (unless it's at a VERY reasonable cap hit).  Basically if Palms is willing to stick around at $5 - 5.5 million per season for 3 - 4 years, Fitz is listening.  Anything much more than that, there's no conversation.  I simply don't think Fitz has any interest in paying for Palms' Age 34 and beyond years.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll go one further...I think Fitz snagged Johnsson to be Palms' replacement.  I think Palms very much wants to stay, but I don't think Fitz is bullish on keeping him long-term (unless it's at a VERY reasonable cap hit).  Basically if Palms is willing to stick around at $5 - 5.5 million per season for 3 - 4 years, Fitz is listening.  Anything much more than that, there's no conversation.  I simply don't think Fitz has any interest in paying for Palms' Age 34 and beyond years.  

I also think $5m is a fair deal for a guy who's going to be 30 in February. Problem is the comperables might swing the price tag in his favor by the end of this offseason. You have guys like David Perron who is older by at least a yearon a team friendly $4m deal, but then we have Dadonov yet to be signed, both of whom put up more points. Rielly Smith for arguments sake is the same player, making $5m.

I personally hope Palms, for all of his streaking, would stay for that kind of deal, especially since we don't know how long Zajac will play and I like the idea of having a veteran leader to help mentor the young guys.