Prospects Thread - 2020-2021 Season

Guadana

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I constantly remind myself that he's a 4th-year Q player who will be 20 in October...he's simply outgrown that league.  Makes it hard to know what to make of his numbers...not that I'm looking for reasons to knock him in the slightest, because it sounds like there's some nice buzz around him.

One thing that I wonder about...what's more fun for some players?  Being a dominant stud in a league like the Q (Dawson has clearly been that for a while now), or making it to the NHL, but not being anywhere near as much of a factor?  Not saying that Dawson can't possibly become a guy who can rack up some points in the NHL...just something I wonder about, as far as the "fun factor" goes for some players.  Of course their dream is not only to make it to the NHL one day, but if they're able to stick around, some nice money comes their way too...so obviously there's that.  

Mercer also by many accounts has a lot of that “stuff you can’t teach”. Natural leadership, locker room guy stuff. It'll be interesting to see if that side translates as well

Edited by Devil Dan 56

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Yap. Thompson can play NHL this season, as i understand, Clark and Aarne cant. And we dont have enough spots in AHL for everyone. 

Thomson's 2 week quarantine lines up nicely. He can join the team 5 days before the trade deadline and the coaches can see where he fits. I wonder who gets called up assuming 3-4 spots open up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Thomson's 2 week quarantine lines up nicely. He can join the team 5 days before the trade deadline and the coaches can see where he fits. I wonder who gets called up assuming 3-4 spots open up

Foote should get a look. Boqvist will probably come back up too I’d imagine.

42 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Foote should get a look. Boqvist will probably come back up too I’d imagine.

I wouldn't be surprised if devils will give a look on Zetterlund. Mercer, Thompson, Clark and Holtz could play in AHL next season. I understand that Mercer and Thompson can play center, but it doesn`t change a lot.  Devils should force Zetterlund as soon as possible and decide something about him.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Guadana said:

https://www.tsn.ca/detroit-red-wings-blue-chippers-montreal-canadiens-cole-caufield-headline-top-75-prospects-list-1.1617205

TSN realesd top-75 non-NHL prospects.
Holtz is 11, Mukha is 38, Foote is 49, Mercer is 52.
There are no Schneider.

I would be interested to hear how he came up with some of those rankings. Mercer at 52 seems odd, especially with Hendrix Lapierre ahead of him. Of the mid first rounders from 2020, I have felt that Mercer and Holloway have been two of the most impressive guys since the draft, so you would think both players would have climbed up the rankings, not just Holloway. But I’ve got to say, I’m glad the Shakir and Holtz are ranked so highly still. Broberg being so high up there is kind of questionable though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nessus said:

I would be interested to hear how he came up with some of those rankings. Mercer at 52 seems odd, especially with Hendrix Lapierre ahead of him. Of the mid first rounders from 2020, I have felt that Mercer and Holloway have been two of the most impressive guys since the draft, so you would think both players would have climbed up the rankings, not just Holloway. But I’ve got to say, I’m glad the Shakir and Holtz are ranked so highly still. Broberg being so high up there is kind of questionable though. 

Button absolutely loves Broberg. He was raving about him all the WJC. 

12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I thought Djurgardens season was over, but here we are, Holtz just had a four point game (2g, 2a). 

Nice! Maybe he has shaken off the Covid.

Edited by MadDog2020

22 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not really an actual prospect but good to see JB35 get his first start. 

Was wondering if he was ever going to get into a game.  Happy for him, in that he officially reached the AHL with that start...that's further than a lot of players have gotten, and it's not like he's played a ton of hockey over the past few years...he could've just bailed on the dream and moved on.  Hope he gets a few more games down there.  

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder if we see him with the big club at all this season, or he goes directly to the AHL? 

I believe I heard he can play six games without burning a year on the contract. I’d like to see him for six games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe I heard he can play six games without burning a year on the contract. I’d like to see him for six games.

Me too.  After a good start his season was then hampered by his center being injured (it was Josefson of all people) and his team not being good.  Would like to see him on NHL ice sooner rather than later since he seems to figure into the Devils plans for next season.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Same.  Why not?  If he looks overwhelmed and simply not ready after 2-3 games, the Devils don't have to play him the full six.  But not much to lose here.  

Is it count for AHL\NHL games or only for NHL? As I understand it - both the AHL and the NHL. Maybe it makes sense to let him play more? Although there's not much time left, especially with the trip and the quarantine.