Prospects Thread - 2020-2021 Season

Guadana

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

I just watched the highlights on Youtube. One goal, he took it from coast to coast. On another, he beat his defender and the goalie on a wraparound.

I know you can’t really compare the SHL to the Q, but I honestly think you can make a case that Mercer is our #1 prospect at this point. Especially if you factor in his two-way game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I know you can’t really compare the SHL to the Q, but I honestly think you can make a case that Mercer is our #1 prospect at this point. Especially if you factor in his two-way game. 

I don't know enough about it to say for sure, but he sure does look promising. We could use a winger or two, eh? :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There’s a good chance he turns out to be a better pick than Holtz.

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s a good chance he turns out to be a better pick than Holtz.

So hard to compare a fifth-year Q player to a guy in just his second full season in the SHL.  Yeah right now it’s definitely easier to feel good about Mercer than Holtz...I just don’t know if it’s based on anything truly legit.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So hard to compare a fifth-year Q player to a guy in just his second full season in the SHL.  Yeah right now it’s definitely easier to feel good about Mercer than Holtz...I just don’t know if it’s based on anything truly legit.

Everyone who talks about Mercer says stuff like ‘he is a future captain’. ‘He’s a born leader’. ‘He has the ‘it’ factor’. I think Mercer seems like one of those guys who is just a winner and is the type of player you win with. That’s the difference. That’s not a shot at Holtz, but the type of traits we’re talking about with Mercer are not born into everyone. You either have that sh!t or you don’t.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Everyone who talks about Mercer says stuff like ‘he is a future captain’. ‘He’s a born leader’. ‘He has the ‘it’ factor’. I think Mercer seems like one of those guys who is just a winner and is the type of player you win with. That’s the difference. That’s not a shot at Holtz, but the type of traits we’re talking about with Mercer are not born into everyone. You either have that sh!t or you don’t.

Will be awesome if all of that comes to pass.  Especially since for some reason I feel like Holtz is going to disappoint.

• Like 1

Mercer really is an impressive prospect. I imagine we will start seeing the assists pile up as the season goes on. I think he is a better playmaker than his stats suggest.

One of the things I like about his game is that he brings it every single night. And he seems to know how to play to win. That consistency and winner's energy is what we want playing next to Hughes.

• Like 2

I was rooting for us to take Hendrix Laperire when we took Mercer. Will probably looks stupid for that one in a few years , let's hope so. 

I think Holtz has had a tough second half. Djurgarden really dropped off as a whole team in the second half of the season. I can't wait to see him with Jack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I was rooting for us to take Hendrix Laperire when we took Mercer. Will probably looks stupid for that one in a few years , let's hope so. 

I wanted Jacob Perreault with one of our picks, and I remember being disappointed about passing on Rossi, thinking Mercer’s ceiling wasn’t that high at the time, and wondering who the hell Muk even was etc. Hopefully my takes from that night look equally as bad in a few years.

I’m definitely more excited about Mercer than Holtz at this point. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I wanted Jacob Perreault with one of our picks, and I remember being disappointed about passing on Rossi, thinking Mercer’s ceiling wasn’t that high at the time, and wondering who the hell Muk even was etc. Hopefully my takes from that night look equally as bad in a few years.

I’m definitely more excited about Mercer than Holtz at this point. 

I don't disagree with many opinions going on here, but I think it is important to at least say that there still isn't that much reason to be down on Holtz. I wouldn't be surprised to find out if he is working though something on or off ice given how his production dipped right at the WJC. Either way, 1 dip at this point doesn't seem like something we should be super worried about.

I also wanted Rossi, but he is still hurt because of Covid(I think). Imagine the absolute world ending posts we'd be seeing right now if we had taken him.

We should try to stay positive.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't disagree with many opinions going on here, but I think it is important to at least say that there still isn't that much reason to be down on Holtz. I wouldn't be surprised to find out if he is working though something on or off ice given how his production dipped right at the WJC. Either way, 1 dip at this point doesn't seem like something we should be super worried about.

I also wanted Rossi, but he is still hurt because of Covid(I think). Imagine the absolute world ending posts we'd be seeing right now if we had taken him.

We should try to stay positive.

Oh for sure. I’m not so much down on Holtz (although I’d like to see him putting the puck in the net a little more), it’s just that I’m starting to become really high on Mercer. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was unaware Holtz had Covid or a back issue.

His team's games were postponed. And the Swedish national team was not spared the problem.
I read somewhere about back problems, but I can't say any specifics, and I can't remember where I read it.

I do not know, perhaps covid affects people in different ways. But I lost a lot of energy and concentration. And the restoration of tone is slow and unproductive.
I think it affects the Devils ' hockey players as well.

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

His team's games were postponed. And the Swedish national team was not spared the problem.
I read somewhere about back problems, but I can't say any specifics, and I can't remember where I read it.

I do not know, perhaps covid affects people in different ways. But I lost a lot of energy and concentration. And the restoration of tone is slow and unproductive.

Glad to hear you are recovering. Hoping that you're back to normal soon.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 3:14 PM, Guadana said:

Hope you are feeling better Guadana!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hope you are feeling better Guadana!

Thanks, guys. in general, everything is fine. I just don't have enough concentration and strength yet, and it's a little hard to breathe and can't get enough sleep. And still it is impossible to have a normal rest, constant fatigue. it is quite possible to live with it. 

Anyway F*ck Covid

• Sad 2