Prospects Thread - 2020-2021 Season

Guadana

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Schmid signs meaning Senn, Daws, and Schmid are all going to be looking for AHL time assuming the Devils sign a backup off the market. I guess Cormier is done. Jeremy Brodeur actually played pretty well in his 3 games so I wonder if another AHL team picks him up. 

That sounds right, I’m not expecting one of those guys on our NHL roster. 

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Smidt is the best in sv% and gaa in ushl this season.

Top 10 for context.  Also cool to see the shootout stats on the right.  One goal against in 5 attempts in his only shootout.  Seems like a low number of games go to shootouts in that league.

image.thumb.png.5ade26bdeb97e8c80d6949a8d1bac996.png

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Top 10 for context.  Also cool to see the shootout stats on the right.  One goal against in 5 attempts in his only shootout.  Seems like a low number of games go to shootouts in that league.

image.thumb.png.5ade26bdeb97e8c80d6949a8d1bac996.png

I also looked to see if he was the oldest in the top 10. But there is only one goaie in the top ten who is a year younger. All the others are very close in age.

Only one other goalie on that list was drafted by an NHL team.  Jakub Dobes 2020 5th round to Montreal.  So not sure how many goalies actually make it out of this league into the NHL.

Just now, Crisis said:

Only one other goalie on that list was drafted by an NHL team.  Jakub Dobes 2020 5th round to Montreal.  So not sure how many goalies actually make it out of this league into the NHL.

That’s fair. But if you are gonna play in a low level league, at least be the best guy in the low level league!

Probably doesn’t translate to NHL success, but still. I guess he’ll be playing in Utica so that’s a step up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s fair. But if you are gonna play in a low level league, at least be the best guy in the low level league!

Probably doesn’t translate to NHL success, but still. I guess he’ll be playing in Utica so that’s a step up. 

Right, not knocking him.  Those are the ideal results for the situation he is in.

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

Only two SHL goalies from top-10 sv% was drafted by nhl teams. I dont say SHL and USHL is on the same level of hockey game. I just glad we have best and young enough goalie from USHL. If we have one, great he is a best one. 
Goalie can develope pretty long. Year ago Smidt had bad season. Anyway he has three to four years to become a  NHL backup or even starter. Or nobody. As it turns out.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

I hope he recovers well from surgery, and his injury doesn’t have a long term effect on that bomb of a shot that he has. Very excited that he will likely be in NJ/Utica soon. I was hoping to get him over here as soon as possible, because I think it will be best for his development. 

Edited by nessus
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1. Shakir Mukhamadullin, LHD (New Jersey Devils)

If the controversy surrounding the Devils’ first-round selection of Mukhamadullin didn’t die a quick death after a strong 2020-21 campaign (pre-injury), then his effortless control of play in all three games at this tournament should be more than enough to silence Mukhamadullin’s harshest critics. He skated, passed, shot, and defended like a true No. 1 and was once again Russia’s go-to guy for the majority of critical scenarios. Mukhamadullin’s skating looked fantastic, as he was gliding up ice with confidence and would either peel back on a dime in front of traffic or simply slice right through it.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2022-nhl-draft/recap-2021-u20-four-nations-tournament-august/

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

then his effortless control of play in all three games at this tournament should be more than enough to silence Mukhamadullin’s harshest critics. 

I guess some people work that way. 3 games isn’t “more than enough” to show me jack sh!t. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The point is this guy has done nothing but improve since we drafted him. He’s trending up. 

Or another way to look at it…if he’d sucked for all three games, there would be some bitching about how the Devils fvcked up in drafting him.  Yeah three games isn’t some huge sample, but at least it does appear that he’s trending in the right direction. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The point is this guy has done nothing but improve since we drafted him. He’s trending up. 

In three games against non-NHL competition, yes. My issue was with that being "more than enough" to silence his harshest critics. I can't imagine anyone being silenced by 3 games, let along his harshest critics. 

Edited by mfitz804

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In three games against non-NHL competition, yes. My issue was with that being "more than enough" to silence his harshest critics. I can't imagine anyone being silenced by 3 games, let along his harshest critics. 

Right, but like CR said- if he played lousy, we’d all be lamenting what a horrible pick it was again. So to see the improvement is important. 

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Right, but like CR said- if he played lousy, we’d all be lamenting what a horrible pick it was again. So to see the improvement is important. 

But that's not what he said nor what I responded to...

If you think 3 games is enough to say a guy has improved, rather than he just had a good couple of games, then I am happy for you. Should that silence a guy's harshest critics? I don't think so. 

I think the fact that I am more cynical and require someone to actually show something on a consistent basis over time is well documented here. Others will look at 3 games and think they are able to make an assessment as to a guy's future based on them. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I think it's fair to say that Shakir is coming along nicely and shows some real promise. Time will tell if he a) actually comes over to the NHL and b) is any good at that level.

If they ever want Daneyko to leave the broadcast team, that name just might make him do it. 

“Great play by, uh…oh boy…Marmaduke?”

• Haha 1