Prospects Thread - 2020-2021 Season

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Holtz with 4 G and 5 A through 12 GP...same as teammate Jacob Josefson (they’re tied for second on their team in points).

Not a knock on Holtz in the slightest or even remotely trying to suggest that he won’t work out...just checked out his numbers on hockeydb.com and was like “Oh, there’s Josefson.”  

He was always there. They are linemates. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one call me Young Talent before!

Merkley scored his second goal in Liiga(3min 57 sec). He has 2g 2a in 7 games. Kuokkanen made assist in his last game. 1 g 2a in 5 games.

Merkley and Mukhamadullin should do a podcast together if they end up as teammates. Call it Merk and Mook. 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

All that does is make me question the quality of competition in a league where Jacob Josefson scores 9 points in 12 games. 

The SHL is a good league. It’s probably the third best league in the world after the KHL. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

All that does is make me question the quality of competition in a league where Jacob Josefson scores 9 points in 12 games. 

The big difference is that Josefson is a 29-year-old vet who's likely topped out there...a AAAA player.  Holtz is just getting started.  

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The SHL is a good league. It’s probably the third best league in the world after the KHL. 

That’s like saying the Rangers are the third best team in the NY-NJ area. They still suck. So does Josefson. 

😉

• Haha 1

Pakkila made assist today, Merkley made three shots, but end the game without a point.

Gritsyuk made assist on the last seconds of the game. 

On the last week Baumgarter made 2 assist in two games. He has 2g and 2a in 7 games this season.

Edited by Guadana
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Djurgården is in place 11 of 14 teams. That's what Josefsson does to the team 

Edited by hrasvalg
  • Like 1

The SHL is a fine league. There are plenty of fringe NHLers who ended up excelling in other leagues. It's not like Josefson was one of those low talent, high character guys. He had some skills, he thought the game reasonably well, but he couldn't put it all together at the NHL level. Plus it's a pretty small sample size. Players go on hot streaks all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if their teammate Єklund (2.3% accurate) hits a cold streak and doesn't finish the season with anywhere close to Holtz's points total. 

With all that said, we definitely do want to see Holtz separating from the pack and hitting a 1 point/game pace as he develops this season. Similar to players like Nylander (or Elias Pettersson), it would suggest a successful NHL career.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Guadana said:

Holtz made excellent play few minutes ago. He is #88

Maybe I'm wrong and William Ekklund (<-- avoiding the text filter) goes on to have the best SHL draft year of all time, thanks to Holtz.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Maybe I'm wrong and William Ekklund (<-- avoiding the text filter) goes on to have the best SHL draft year of all time, thanks to Holtz.

a small sample, but he is on this way. 
Anyway we need in defenseman. And i truly believe we will regret when 2% accurate will new one swedish blonde pop star.

Studenic scores 6 goals and got 3a in 12 games. 

Sharangovic scores another goal. OT this time. 

I saw some of his games. Didn`t have a time to make records. Anyway what can i say - he play in Coleman type game. PK, puck challange, speed, wrist shot, rolling to the net.

Talvitie got his first assist. That was in his third game.

Gritsyuk scores. 2 goals in his last two games. He is second ppg u20 play in VHL(second adult league in Russia). 2g 4a in 8 games

Merkley made three assists in his two last games.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1
Just now, mfitz804 said:

Is it bad to want most of these guys on the NHL squad this year?

I will be very surprised if Sharangovich doesn't dressed for the first game. Merkley looks great, but he has good partners, and judging by the games I've seen, Liiga doesn't have high level of defense. I don't know how much Merkley will be able totranslate his game.

We should wait of Gritsyuk for year or two. Maybe three. But after that... I wouldn`t be surprise to him in top-6. He is a best devils prospect in zone enteries. I can describe how good he is for a long time.

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

We should wait of Gritsyuk for year or two. Maybe three. But after that... I wouldn`t be surprise to him in top-6. He is a best devils prospect in zone enteries. I can describe how good he is for a long time.

You know I love me some zone entries. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i really wish Hughes would be playing right now

Opinions seem pretty split on whether or not he should play in the WJC next month. I can see both sides tbh. On one hand he’ll just be beating up on lesser competition like used to pre-NHL, and there’s obviously the risk of injury. Otoh he hasn’t played hockey in a really long time, and I would think playing at any level is better than nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Opinions seem pretty split on whether or not he should play in the WJC next month. I can see both sides tbh. On one hand he’ll just be beating up on lesser competition like used to pre-NHL, and there’s obviously the risk of injury. Otoh he hasn’t played hockey in a really long time, and I would think playing at any level is better than nothing. 

if anything i think "beating up on lesser competition" would be great for his confidence cause he was certainly beat up by better competition last year. Confidence is key.

As for the risk of injury... well you can't really go on in life living in fear like this. Plus it's not like the Devils will be contending next season or that we're even assured to have a season, so if he CAN play he should. not playing hockey at his age and in such a transitional period is not any good.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

if anything i think "beating up on lesser competition" would be great for his confidence cause he was certainly beat up by better competition last year. Confidence is key.

As for the risk of injury... well you can't really go on in life living in fear like this. Plus it's not like the Devils will be contending next season or that we're even assured to have a season, so if he CAN play he should. not playing hockey at his age and in such a transitional period is not any good.

But will he just rely on things he used to do that clearly don’t work at the NHL level? Not sure how much that really helps in the grand scheme of things. 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But will he just rely on things he used to do that clearly don’t work at the NHL level? Not sure how much that really helps in the grand scheme of things. 

Still it's the same reason you send some player down in the AHL so they can get more minutes and regain some confidence. He's also a smart kid and could do even better knowing what he knows from the NHL now

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Still it's the same reason you send some player down in the AHL so they can get more minutes and regain some confidence. He's also a smart kid and could do even better knowing what he knows from the NHL now

Like I said, I can see both sides. If he plays I’ll look forward to watching him. And I think he makes team USA better, which is also a plus, but if the Devils don’t send him I’ll understand their standpoint, too. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Like I said, I can see both sides. If he plays I’ll look forward to watching him. And I think he makes team USA better, which is also a plus, but if the Devils don’t send him I’ll understand their standpoint, too. 

ah yeah i can absolutely see both sides too. I just personally want him to play so he can gain confidence and have fun playing hockey