Prospects Thread - 2020-2021 Season

Guadana

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

As Guadiana keeps telling me on here and in twitter , there are lots of good D men in this draft we need to take. But I am just mesmerised by him. Although we could try and get Luke Hughes. 

I think going for Luke Hughes is the right move. Could help us lock both up long term and possibly (long shot) eventually get Quinn Hughes.

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I think going for Luke Hughes is the right move. Could help us lock both up long term and possibly (long shot) eventually get Quinn Hughes.

If nothing else, it would guarantee we had the worst Hughes brother on our team.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We are blessed. The pizza in NJ and NYC is the best on the planet. 🍕

Whenever I see some idiot in NJ eating Domino’s, all I can think is “WHYYYYYYYY?!”  I have no idea how those chains even survive here.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Whenever I see some idiot in NJ eating Domino’s, all I can think is “WHYYYYYYYY?!”  I have no idea how those chains even survive here.  

They don’t survive here. They open, they fail, they close. 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:06 PM, Nicomo said:

Holtz’s buddy Eklund has covid. Sucks we won’t be able to see them play together at the WJC. 

They've been in close proximity, hopefully Holtz doesn't.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

FWIW, I have 6 pizzerias within a 2 mile radius of me.  I can think of 3 of them that are trash.  I would actually rank Dominos in the middle between them all.

Same when I lived in Hillsborough.  I think it was something like 8 or 9 and dominos was better than half of them.

There really are some mom and pop pizzerias that make truly sh!tty pizza.

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW, I have 6 pizzerias within a 2 mile radius of me.  I can think of 3 of them that are trash.  I would actually rank Dominos in the middle between them all.

Same when I lived in Hillsborough.  I think it was something like 8 or 9 and dominos was better than half of them.

There really are some mom and pop pizzerias that make truly sh!tty pizza.

Re:  the bolded...for sure.  Our go-to when I was growing up in Hillsborough was initially Nino's (this is back in the late-70s/early 80s), then it was Angelo's 2.  We'd occasionally do Boro's (they were kinda meh...runny).  Also Frank's...they were pretty good back in the 80s.  The place by Wawa's was pretty good too...it eventually became something else.  Pizza and Pasta makes great pizza...whenever we order pizza here at work, that's pretty much the only place we get it from.

Sure, not all mom-and-pops are great by default (some are flat-out bad), but most towns in NJ have enough good ones that generic, completely forgettable pizza chains like Domino's, Little Caesar's, Papa John's etc shouldn't have as much of a presence here as they do.  Like you say, if Domino's is sitting right about in the middle in some areas...why the hell wouldn't you give your business to the half that ranks above them?

And on another note...having been spoiled as we are by the quality of pizza here, man I can't imagine living in the Midwest, and thinking those chains represent good pizza.  But if that's all you know and what you grew up with...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded...for sure.  Our go-to when I was growing up in Hillsborough was initially Nino's (this is back in the late-70s/early 80s), then it was Angelo's 2.  We'd occasionally do Boro's (they were kinda meh...runny).  Also Frank's...they were pretty good back in the 80s.  The place by Wawa's was pretty good too...it eventually became something else.  Pizza and Pasta makes great pizza...whenever we order pizza here at work, that's pretty much the only place we get it from.

Sure, not all mom-and-pops are great by default (some are flat-out bad), but most towns in NJ have enough good ones that generic, completely forgettable pizza chains like Domino's, Little Caesar's, Papa John's etc shouldn't have as much of a presence here as they do.  Like you say, if Domino's is sitting right about in the middle in some areas...why the hell wouldn't you give your business to the half that ranks above them?

And on another note...having been spoiled as we are by the quality of pizza here, man I can't imagine living in the Midwest, and thinking those chains represent good pizza.  But if that's all you know and what you grew up with...

Mostly because a large pizza these days at mom and pop shops are $14-16.  Dominos I can get a large for $8.  That and sometimes once in a while I feel like having Dominos.

In Hillsborough, here is how I would rank the pizzerias solely on their pizza:

1) Angelo's 2

2) Victor's

3) Joe's

4) Alfonso's

5) Roman Gourmet

6) Dominos

7) Lenny's

8: Pizza Bros

9) Pizza Hut

10) Bella

I have never had AMA or Mariana's so I can't rank them.

38 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

At the risk of starting another Taylor Ham-esque dissent,

NYC pizza or North Jersey pizza? Which is better

Well, in NYC, Domino's and Pizza Hut don't make the list. I think a lot of people try to shoe-horn New Jersey in as having great pizza, but I don't think its near the same.

I know that I can walk into any pizzeria in Staten Island and get a good slice. While you can certainly get good pizza in New Jersey, and there are definitely places that are better than the average NYC pizzeria (I looked up one I really enjoyed and was sad to see they had closed)c you can also get really terrible pizza in New Jersey. 

There is a reason NYC style pizza is a think, and NJ style pizza is not.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mean, I’ve lived in the Midwest all my life but I’m still aware of the existence of Kobe beef, Maine lobster, etc. :P

I was mostly raised on the thicker Sicilian style pizza though. My grandpa was from Chicago so he liked the deep dish stuff. I’m one of the rare people that like both Chicago and NY style. And I refuse to proclaim one better than the other. Which probably won’t go over well on this board... 

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, I’ve lived in the Midwest all my life but I’m still aware of the existence of Kobe beef, Maine lobster, etc. :P

I was mostly raised on the thicker Sicilian style pizza though. My grandpa was from Chicago so he liked the deep dish stuff. I’m one of the rare people that like both Chicago and NY style. And I refuse to proclaim one better than the other. Which probably won’t go over well on this board... 

I can't do the thick stuff...to me, the thinner the better.  This way I can eat more slices, as opposed to just filling up on bread.  Also gotta watch the carbs (Type 2).  

Oh I'm not saying Midwesteners are all ignorant, but there's some damned good pizza out this way, and it's never too hard to find a new go-to place.  It's probably a bit harder to find in the Midwest (especially if you're not close to any major cities).  

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, in NYC, Domino's and Pizza Hut don't make the list. I think a lot of people try to shoe-horn New Jersey in as having great pizza, but I don't think its near the same.

I know that I can walk into any pizzeria in Staten Island and get a good slice. While you can certainly get good pizza in New Jersey, and there are definitely places that are better than the average NYC pizzeria (I looked up one I really enjoyed and was sad to see they had closed)c you can also get really terrible pizza in New Jersey. 

There is a reason NYC style pizza is a think, and NJ style pizza is not.

Ever hear of Star Tavern in Orange?  That's some damned good pizza...my aunt and uncle love the place (we go once or twice a year...well, we did in the pre-Covid days...the aunt and unc go more often).  Place is a little dive-y and and has been around since the 40s...get there too late on a weekend, and the line would be way out the door.  Their extra cheese is more like most places "normal" cheese, and their pies are best served well-done...but they make a great pie.  

Star Tavern World Famous Pizzeria

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Deep dish Chicago style is good, though to us out here, its not really pizza. Still delicious though. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ever hear of Star Tavern in Orange?  That's some damned good pizza...my aunt and uncle love the place (we go once or twice a year...well, we did in the pre-Covid days...the aunt and unc go more often).  Place is a little dive-y and and has been around since the 40s...get there too late on a weekend, and the line would be way out the door.  Their extra cheese is more like most places "normal" cheese, and their pies are best served well-done...but they make a great pie.  

Star Tavern World Famous Pizzeria

I haven't, and it looks like my kind of place (a little dive-y and great food). 

Just to be clear, I was not saying you can't get good pizza in New Jersey, you definitely can. I'm just saying New Jersey is not known for its pizza, at least by anyone outside of New Jersey. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just to be clear, I was not saying you can't get good pizza in New Jersey, you definitely can. I'm just saying New Jersey is not known for its pizza, at least by anyone outside of New Jersey. 

Oh I know, I thought your previous post about NY and NJ pizza was pretty dead-on.  There is a lot of terrific pizza in NJ, as good as anything in NY.  But yeah, it's not like if you're not from NJ, you can walk into any pizzeria in NJ and expect to get top-notch pizza.  DM84 is probably pretty accurate...probably 50-60% of the mom-and-pop pizzerias rate good or better in many NJ towns.  The rest are mediocre or crap...there's a much lower percentage of that kind of pizza in NY.

I go out to Colorado Springs from time to time (the other branch of my business is located there), and there's one really good pizza place there (owned by a NY transplant)...and some passable ones...and many more not even worth discussing.  My manager who runs that branch (born and raised in NJ) eats as much pizza as he can whenever he flies back here because the pizza there is so mostly meh at best).  He says he loves the Springs and it is a great place to be (it is, beautiful area, lots to do and see outdoors), but having only one good place to go for pizza kills him.  What's nice about here is once you have an area staked out, you can at least get different KINDS of good pizza depending on whose pizza you feel like consuming.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Coming from someone outside on NJ, I can attest to this being an accurate statement. I always associated NJ more with diners, delis, etc. 

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Coming from someone outside on NJ, I can attest to this being an accurate statement. I always associated NJ more with diners, delis, etc. 

I went to college at Montclair State, right near where Route 46 and Route 3 fork.  Think there were at least 8 diners within a 10-mile radius, maybe more...off the top of my head, I remember Golden Star, Tick-Tock, and Six Brothers...of course, it was usually about one-two in the morning when I stumbled into them, so I'm sure some of the names of the other places are long-forgotten (if ever remembered...).   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I went to college at Montclair State, right near where Route 46 and Route 3 fork.  Think there were at least 8 diners within a 10-mile radius, maybe more...off the top of my head, I remember Golden Star, Tick-Tock, and Six Brothers...of course, it was usually about one-two in the morning when I stumbled into them, so I'm sure some of the names of the other places are long-forgotten (if ever remembered...).   

That's definitely a fair association. We do have a fair amount of diners here, but I assume that's kind of spill-over from being so close to New Jersey. 

Skylark Diner on US 1 in Edison is the one that pops into mind for me. Or the Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory in Jersey City, you'd better be hungry if you're going there, pancakes the size of a frisbee. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That's definitely a fair association. We do have a fair amount of diners here, but I assume that's kind of spill-over from being so close to New Jersey. 

Skylark Diner on US 1 in Edison is the one that pops into mind for me. Or the Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory in Jersey City, you'd better be hungry if you're going there, pancakes the size of a frisbee. 

When I went back to school in my mid-20s, I met a guy (Greek of course, heh heh) whose dad made a full-time living either renovating/updating, repairing, or redesigning diners all throughout NJ (one of his efforts was the aforementioned Tick Tock on Route 3)...think he also occasionally did some of that work out-of-state, but obviously plenty of business right in NJ.  

There was one in Fairfield NJ that was used for some filming here and there...one of my customers is located near it, and one day I saw a full film crew there, the works...not sure if they were shooting a film, TV show, or commercial, but it was an impressive display.  

It was this one...very old school...crazy as it sounds, it was shipped to Durlach, Germany in the 90s, and became, after some revamping, quite simply "American Diner":

See the source imageSee the source image

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When I went back to school in my mid-20s, I met a guy (Greek of course, heh heh) whose dad made a full-time living either renovating/updating, repairing, or redesigning diners all throughout NJ (one of his efforts was the aforementioned Tick Tock on Route 3)...think he also occasionally did some of that work out-of-state, but obviously plenty of business right in NJ.  

There was one in Fairfield NJ that was used for some filming here and there...one of my customers is located near it, and one day I saw a full film crew there, the works...not sure if they were shooting a film, TV show, or commercial, but it was an impressive display.  

It was this one...very old school...crazy as it sounds, it was shipped to Durlach, Germany in the 90s, and became, after some revamping, quite simply "American Diner":

I've seen a number of shows on TV where they talk about an authentic diner getting moved. But to Germany?? That's not only crazy, how the hell is that cost effective? Did it need to be THAT authentic??

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The company I worked for out of college had one that they shipped to Europe on a marketing brochure. I wonder if it is the same one. Idk why Germany would be buying many American 50s style diners. 

33 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The company I worked for out of college had one that they shipped to Europe on a marketing brochure. I wonder if it is the same one. Idk why Germany would be buying many American 50s style diners. 

Probably big fans of Happy Days.