Doc Emrick Retires

I mean I think I'll forever hear "HIT THE POST WITH THE SHOT" in my head when I hear the "ping" off a post.  Just such a classic Doc-ism.

So many great memories in this thread, thank you all for sharing.  I'm regretful that my Dad and I never got the chance to really interact with him 1-on-1 - the closest I ever came was walking past him in the concourse a couple times.  I always made sure to say something stupid like "You're the best, Doc" and I honestly think he found it a little embarrassing :lol: 

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This may sound selfish, but it means as much to me as it does to you. May be more but in absolutely other way. I rooted  for the team for a very long time with the help of small newspaper articles.

Back in 2009, when I had season tickets, the Devils has this goofy little area setup right at the top of the escalators of the north entrance tower (now i think it’s a liquor bar or something?) where

As a young Devils fan, I was not happy to learn that Gary Thorne would be leaving our broadcasts. He was the voice I knew.  Then Doc arrived and I realized what calling a hockey game should sound

Posted Images

As long as we are discussing Doc-isms, how about playing games with the time remaining. More than a few people would be confused when he would announce that there were 400 seconds remaining in a period lol. 

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Chico loved, loved, loved to talk. I got into a habit in 2008 or 2009 of seeing him on the concourse between intermissions and striking up conversation. He loved to talk to fans, he loved to hear what they had to say and he loved to give his input. He remembered my name by the end of the year, and even invited my dad and I to go sing happy birthday to Stan Fischler before the game with a cake. Such a bizarre and fun memory. 

I have home and away Colorado Rockies Chico Resch #1 jerseys.  One night I was taking a wizz in the awesome CAA bathroom (serious sarcasm here) and Chico came in to do his thing.  He saw my jersey as we were walking out (turned around to see the front...he was just ahead of me) and said "Nice jersey!"  I turned around to show him the name and number and his eyes lit up...right away he said "I'd sign that for you, but I gotta get back, running late.  But next time you wear that to a game, I'll sign it!"

A few weeks later, he kept his promise...he was in horrible shape, clearly fighting a bad cold, had almost no voice to speak of...but of course still managed to be his usual Chico self.  I came up to his broadcast area and Doc was already up there...he smiled and laughed and said "He'll sign anything you want, just don't ask him to tell you any stories!"  Good people, both of them.

My top memory of Doc is an odd one...the Devils were playing a particularly awful game (losing to the Penguins 5-0...it was this game:  https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200711050NJD.html).  Sometime during the third period, after yet another ugly giveaway, Doc just kind of shook his head and gave his table a frustrated little whap...I could tell he was just as disgusted by that game as we were.  That was also the night that Chico took a lot of time out to commiserate with the fans who came out to see that dumpster fire of a game, and I said off-handedly "What were the Devils thinking, signing Dainius Zubrus?" (I was never a huge fan of that move, though it turned out to be OK).  Chico high-fived me and said he didn't get it either.  Was really cool, in that both Chico and Doc, in their own ways, really gave off an awesome "one of us" vibe.  

Best of luck in your future endeavors Doc.  Glad that you were OURS for so long.  You're the best man.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

My Doc story was many, many years ago at one of the Devils fan club dinners/autograph things with the team. He got on line behind us waiting to get inside when they hadn't even opened the doors up yet. Numerous people told him just to bypass the line and he politely declined and said he would rather wait his turn and chat with us instead. 

Chico and Doc were our best tv duo and will never be matched simply because like so many of us they were truly just fans of the Devils. They both loved(and love because Chico is still on radio and around) to interact with all of their fans and have a way of making themselves seem like they are simply a friend we just haven't seen in awhile instead of a total stranger. 

I hope Doc has a fantastic retirement and I'll miss him calling games. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 4

You have to wonder if the devils give him another tribute for his career.... esp if ticket sales fall (continue to fall esp after who they supported this summer).  

Also jumping the gun, but if they don't name a hotdog stand (or hotdog) after Chico when he hangs up the rug (i mean mic) the devils would have failed miserably.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

As long as we are discussing Doc-isms, how about playing games with the time remaining. More than a few people would be confused when he would announce that there were 400 seconds remaining in a period lol. 

"two and three-quarter minutes remain" - Please, Doc, I don't want to do math....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I always kind of lived in this echo chamber where everyone loved him so it comes as a shock to see all the hate towards him im seeing online today

How the fvck could anyone hate him??? I lose yet another shred of hope for humanity hearing sh!t like this. 

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

Back in 2009, when I had season tickets, the Devils has this goofy little area setup right at the top of the escalators of the north entrance tower (now i think it’s a liquor bar or something?) where they’d have stuff to do at intermission. Sometimes it was videogames, usually there was table hockey.

Well this one time there was a fake play-by-play booth. There was a green screen behind you and you did color commentary for “Doc”, who was recorded, and you had lines you could read or you could improvise. Doc’s lines would also show up on the screen so you’d know what to say. 

I was pumped. I was a teenager ready to show my hockey knowledge so I made sure to be the first in line, right as we got in the building. As I start to riff and talk about why the Devils really need Langenbrunner to pick up his scoring and why I thought Sutter was going to be a hall of fame coach for us, fvcking Doc walks up. Says something like “let’s see what this is all about”, plops down next to me and asks them to start it from the beginning. We have a great little banter, he tells everyone watching that I’m a “natural” and I basically pass out because of how happy I am. 

Cherry on top; he mentions it to Chico on air after the second intermission about how he “found chico’s replacement, a young man from Monmouth county with a knack for talking Devils’ hockey.” My mom recorded it and we have it on a DVD somewhere lol. 

Will always adore Doc.

That’s an amazing story MB. Awesome.

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How the fvck could anyone hate him??? I lose yet another shred of hope for humanity hearing sh!t like this. 

I'm just as baffled. Posted a tribute to him on my facebook and 3 people started hating on my post lol

"One of the worst play by play guys to listen to. Especially when he refers to the blocker as a waffle board."

"he sucks. He doesn't do play by play. He talks over half the action."

"100% agreed. Or the ‘into the paraphernalia’ of the goalie. Or the ‘catching glove’. What other fvcking glove was the goalie going to use to catch the puck?!? Damnit. Now I’m angry."

Then i replied to this saying that i'd be the bigger man and just ignore such blasphemy but that I will just point out that he was chosen to cover huge national games and playoffs AND was chosen to be the voice in the NHL games for a reason. 

then one replied it was truly a head scratcher that he was chosen for those... then posted a few youtube videos of doc "fvcking up". I watched them and made the mistake to skim through the youtube comments.... ugh.

One is an LA fan so maybe he's feeling competition with Doc and their Bob Miller or something lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Angry 1
3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Don't read the HF boards main thread about him retiring. 

I’m trying to read the main boards less and less in the short time since I joined up over there. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

You have to wonder if the devils give him another tribute for his career.... esp if ticket sales fall (continue to fall esp after who they supported this summer).  

Also jumping the gun, but if they don't name a hotdog stand (or hotdog) after Chico when he hangs up the rug (i mean mic) the devils would have failed miserably.

Doc in the Ring of Honor is something I think needs to be done. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I always kind of lived in this echo chamber where everyone loved him so it comes as a shock to see all the hate towards him im seeing online today

fvck all of those people. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’m trying to read the main boards less and less in the short time since I joined up over there. 

Your first mistake was joining HF.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Doc in the Ring of Honor is something I think needs to be done. 

Agreed, perfect candidate for it. Also, having a Ring of Honor with one dude in it makes no sense. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, perfect candidate for it. Also, having a Ring of Honor with one dude in it makes no sense. 

Lou is obviously an automatic when (if) he retires.