2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

Wasn't the Trevor we were expecting but the Mets have agreed to a deal with former Twins reliever Trevor May. He's been a solid reliever the past three seasons. 2019 being his best with a sub 3 era in 60+ innings

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30429688/new-york-mets-reliever-trevor-reach-2-year-deal-sources-say

The New York Mets have reached agreement on a two-year contract with right-handed reliever Trevor May, sources confirm to ESPN.

The deal is pending a physical and could be official as soon as Wednesday, the sources said.

May, 31, was 1-0 with a 3.86 ERA and two saves in 24 appearances for the Minnesota Twins last season.

Edited by '7'

May has a 1.08 WHIP over the last three seasons...gotta like a guy who isn't giving up tons of baserunners.  A little HR-prone (1.4 per 9 IP over the last 3 seasons...the main reason his ERA isn't below 3.00 for that sample I'm sure).  Good signing though...maybe that gets things moving soon.    

May's signing also makes me wonder if he's going to be a "replacement" of sorts for Lugo...who will join the rotation on a permanent basis (or at least get a nice long look there to start 2021).  

Assuming that's the case, the inked-in guys to start 2021 (barring another move):

deGrom

Peterson

Stroman

Lugo

I'm guessing Matz gets tendered, but won't come to spring training with a starting slot to lose.  Syndergaard comes back when he comes back (I have to see him come back AND be effective before I possibly worry about "too many arms"...no such thing anyway).  Curious to see if the Mets do go hard after Bauer...it's not like he has a track record of awesomeness, in the grand scheme.  

We'll see:

Mets Rumors: NYM Making 'Serious Push' for James McCann in Free Agency | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Much has been made about McCann's defensive prowess, and how much pitchers love throwing to him.  

I just hope he doesn't revert back to 2014-2018 form at the plate.  He slashed .240/.288/.366 (OPS+ of 76) over that time.  That's brutal.

Much different story in 2019 and 2020:  .276/.334/.474 (OPS+ of 114).  That's a hell of a bat to have behind the plate.  And damned near identical to what Realmuto has done over the past four years (.276/.335/.477 - OPS+ of 116).

Easy to say "Why aren't they trying to reel in the top fish?" in Realmuto...I'm guessing some Mets fans will be disappointed if it's not him that's the #1 catcher (I wanted Realmuto, who's also about a year younger than McCann).  McCann is definitely more of a wild card at the plate...really REALLY hope he can keep hitting in the years to come, if he signs here.  

EDIT:  one concern...some take the "A season is a season approach", and don't like to cherry-pick, but in 2019, McCann got off to an insane start...and then basically hit like 2014-18 McCann.  His numbers over his last 55 GP:  .231/.283/.412  Just 12 BB and 78 K.  That's something to keep an eye on.  

Last year was more of the same, but the sample (31 games) is really not large enough to pick apart too much.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yikes

New York Mets news: Team in active talks with free agent James McCann (elitesportsny.com)

This was being discussed on the WFAN this morning too...doesn't appear that McCann is all that great defensively.

Obviously we'll see what happens, but this is starting to reek of "Same Ole Sandy".  The team even got unexpected relief in not having to pay Cano this season, but right away the Mets can't talk to the top guy and the obvious target...they've gotta go to the next tier.  And like I pointed out in the previous post, McCann does come with some red flags offensively...and if it turns out that he's not even anything all that special defensively, why is Sandy so all-in on McCann?  Not to mention that the Mets can hurt the Phils by signing Realmuto away.  

Yeah I get why they might not want to give a 30-year old catcher a 5-100 type contract but don’t just automatically overpay the second option who isn’t even that good because of it. This smacks of the whole we won’t get Matt Holliday so we’ll just overpay Jason Bay instead mindset (yes I realize that predated Sandy).

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I get why they might not want to give a 30-year old catcher a 5-100 type contract but don’t just automatically overpay the second option who isn’t even that good because of it. This smacks of the whole we won’t get Matt Holliday so we’ll just overpay Jason Bay instead mindset (yes I realize that predated Sandy).

It's all just a little too "same old Mets" to me.  It also reeks of Sandy trying to outsmart everyone to show just how smart HE is.  "No, I won't go for the obvious target that makes a ton of sense for a team that actually has money to spend...I'm gonna do THIS."  Problem is there really isn't much about paying McCann a ton that points to it working out as hoped...there's enough red flags there to be concerned.  I know that there's not really such a thing as a sure thing, sh!t can happen, but goddamn Realmuto's numbers the past five seasons are awfully fvcking good for a catcher.  

I wasn't bullish on Sandy coming back, and he's already reminding me why.  Hoping he proves me wrong.  

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Mets made a mistake bringing Alderson back. Made no sense to me. Epstein should’ve been the target Cohen latched onto.

Epstein wanted to take a year off...get the feeling that he was burned out, and needed a break.

That being said, I think the Mets definitely give him a call if/when he decides he wants back in.  

Yeah I'm obviously not the biggest Sandy fan in the world, but I think the idea was that he was going to come in as team president, and oversee the hiring of a front office that would then do much of the heavy lifting.  Problem is that their targets either aren't getting permission from their franchises to talk to the Mets, or they've simply decided to stay put...so it looks like Sandy might indeed end up wearing more hats.  

My issue with Sandy is that he never struck me as being terribly aggressive, creative or energetic.  If he's the guy who will be making most (if not all) of the 2021 offseason decisions by default, yeah, I'm a little concerned.  I know working for the Wilpons was a far different beast, but Sandy has talked the talk before, and not walked the walk.  Would it surprise me that much if the "big" offseason haul turns out to be May, McCann and then another mid-tier-ish signing, and then suddenly the company line is "Well, we've got Syndergaard coming back, that's like a midseason trade acquisition, and we expect Matz to provide depth and to bounce back, blah blah blah..."  

The one thing that I'll say for him is this is probably one offseason where he can take his sweet time...it doesn't seem like ANYONE is willing to rush out and beat everyone else to the punch with the top-tier free agents.  Alderson is kind of in the same position that Cohen was when he bought the Mets...Cohen knew he could wait out other bidders, and still wind up with the prize (and in his case, a BETTER deal).  But of course, my fear is that even when Bauer or Realmuto become available at a reasonable price, will Sandy still find some reason not to jump in?  

• Like 1

It would be majorly disappointing if we don't land at least one big fish this offseason. With the new owner...not flexing our newfound financial muscle even a little bit would leave me feeling a bit empty. Realmuto though supposedly he isn't keen on playing in NY. If that's the case I don't want him (even though guys like Sabathia also said never and then fashioned a nice long career out of it) Realmuto is just such a damn good hitter. 

Sandy at 73 just cannot compete with the rest of the leagues GM's on a day to day level anymore. He is best served in a part time advisory role where you can get the best use of whatever baseball acumen he has left. Fine he can be the caretaker for one year...but no more than that. There are too many complicated moving parts on many different levels of a baseball franchise...Alderson just isn't equipped to manage all that anymore

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

It would be majorly disappointing if we don't land at least one big fish this offseason. With the new owner...not flexing our newfound financial muscle even a little bit would leave me feeling a bit empty. Realmuto though supposedly he isn't keen on playing in NY. If that's the case I don't want him (even though guys like Sabathia also said never and then fashioned a nice long career out of it) Realmuto is just such a damn good hitter. 

Sandy at 73 just cannot compete with the rest of the leagues GM's on a day to day level anymore. He is best served in a part time advisory role where you can get the best use of whatever baseball acumen he has left. Fine he can be the caretaker for one year...but no more than that. There are too many complicated moving parts on many different levels of a baseball franchise...Alderson just isn't equipped to manage all that anymore

Re:  the bolded...especially since there's going to be some big fish that are just WAITING to be scooped up by the Mets, that they can clearly afford.  I'm not saying spend for the sake of spending, but there's guys out there who will fill needs and who make sense.  And like I said, friggin' Cano's money is off the books for 2021.  There's just no excuse to be shut out this season, or for the Mets to approach this like a mid-market team.

We'll see if Realmuto is really THAT dead-set against playing in NY.  I just don't like that Sandy hasn't even appeared to explore him as an option.  And that from the chatter that it appears to be McCann-or-bust.

And agree with your take on Sandy...I'm just not sure how much energy he really has left in the tank...I know I could be jumping the gun, but I can't deal with Sandy going to Passive Mode yet again...if he winds up reeling in some big catches at very reasonable prices due to being extremely patient, I'll eat the crow, but I need to see that happen.  Unless Cohen has reassessed and told Sandy not to go too too crazy with adding payroll, there's no excuses.  None.

Mets linked to Jake Odorizzi as a starting pitcher (free agent, formerly of the Twins).  Yep, looks like Mets are shopping in the second tier.  

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It also reeks of Sandy trying to outsmart everyone to show just how smart HE is.  "No, I won't go for the obvious target that makes a ton of sense for a team that actually has money to spend...I'm gonna do THIS." 

I hope you're wrong but this whole offseason does have the smell of this being the case so far.  We don't need a president of baseball ops, we're taking our sweet time finding a GM...it's like this is Sandy's last chance to show that 'by gosh I can get it right and do it my way here now that I have the money to get a few more second-tier players'.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I hope you're wrong but this whole offseason does have the smell of this being the case so far.  We don't need a president of baseball ops, we're taking our sweet time finding a GM...it's like this is Sandy's last chance to show that 'by gosh I can get it right and do it my way here now that I have the money to get a few more second-tier players'.

Yeah seeing the names the Mets are linked to, I’m not happy so far. And I’ll just come out and say it...Sandy scares me.  More and more I’m convinced that he was not the right hire for where this franchise needs to go.  Mets need someone younger and far more energetic.

40 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp here we go

Not thrilled with this one.  But if we get some actual first-tier moves to go with McCann, I'll live with this.

Sucks that for some reason Smarter-Than-Everyone-Sandy couldn't just go after Realmuto...I guess if this leads to Springer and Bauer both signing, hard to bitch.  But if the "big" offseason consists of, say, May, McCann, Odorizzi, a Conforto extension, and fingers crossed that Matz and/or Syndergaard both bounce back and Nimmo and others can piece together CF, that's gonna feel like they cheaped out a bit.  And is going to reek of Sandy not really walking the talk.  

Not sure how to feel about the relative lack of activity.  

On one hand, it's not like there's been tons of movement on the FA market.  It could be just a case of things unfolding that slowly.  

On the other...Sandy makes me nervous, as there's something about him that I don't quite trust...that he'll find a way not to get things done and will be patient to a fault...and then we'll hear "We tried and were active and were involved in a number of potential signings, but..."  Then we get some second and third-tier "IF" signings and moves.  

It just feels like, for a team that clearly has the money to spend and is in a far more favorable position than many MLB teams right now, that we should've seen something significant happen by now.  

Good article about the Wilmer Flores and Zack Wheeler for Carlos Gomez deal that never happened (and everything that followed...including a guy named Mike Fiers getting traded to Houston, along with Gomez in the big "recovery" trade that followed the nixed Mets deal).  Lots of quotes from many participants:

Wilmer Flores changed baseball history by crying | MLB.com

Some outlets reporting the McCann deal as done, other avenues as being very close.  Looks like 4 years $40 million.  Like I said earlier, feels like a mid-tier signing for a team that was talking a bigger game previously.  Don’t love that how good McCann actually is seems to be very debatable.

Guess we’ll see if either Springer or Bauer are signed next.  Or if it’s Ordorizzi and more “Sandy’s Smarter” moves.

The McCann signing not exactly getting lauded as a good move in several circles...the concern being if his bat ever returns to Tiger levels (this guy was actually NON-TENDERED by Detroit).

Yeah, obviously too early to grade this off-season.  Gotta see what comes next.  

Interesting that Porter has ties to Epstein...makes one wonder if next season, the Mets try to make Epstein president of baseball operations.

From all accounts, looks like Porter is very highly thought of and respected...and even better, has considerable experience in MLB.  Thank god this is not even close to a BVW Part Deux situation.

Even if I’m not that bullish on McCann, I get the feeling the days of the Mets playing people out of position (both on AND off the field) are finally over.  And that’s a beautiful beautiful thing.  

Now that the Mets have signed McCann and Porter, get the feeling that it may be quiet for a while...as frustrating as that can be, I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't all on Rip Van Sandy (who did sometimes just seem passive beyond reason under the Wilpons).  Things are really just moving that slow...sure, on one hand, it would be nice to see a team buck the trend, and just go out there and get their players.

BUT

I have to be fair...the Mets aren't as far under the luxury tax threshold as we truly think, especially if they're still planning to try to reel in some big fish in Springer and Bauer.  They still have to sign Conforto.  Depending on what Noah does this year, they may want to give him an extension too (definitely risky, but if he comes back and tears it up, will Cohen's Mets just let him walk?  Probably not).  From what I've read about the Mets' current payroll, they could definitely wind up spending up pretty close to the pseudo-cap limit.  Not that I love the McCann signing, but if they really are planning to add some top-cost players, I can understand why they tried to save money there.  Just really hope McCann doesn't blow up...something about him just scares me. 

EDIT:  I know this is fan-written, but according to this, looks like the Mets have about $60 million left that they can spend:

Where the Mets’ payroll stands after the McCann signing - Amazin' Avenue

So basically if they sign Springer AND Bauer and sign Conforto to an extension...money gets tight in a hurry.  They can go over the threshold this year and not have it hurt them too much (they'd be "first-time offenders", so they'd only have to pay an additional 20% of any overage), but I have a feeling that they don't want to do that if they don't have to. 

I'm guessing that they sign Springer for sure (article says that leaves them with about $35 million left), then try to get Conforto on a reasonable extension.  Then they'll go after Odorizzi or Kluber instead of Bauer to try to shore up their starting pitching.  Much as that seems a bit "meh" compared to what we were dreaming about, based on the numbers (and the Mets will be stuck paying Cano in 2022 and 2023...thanks again Brodie) I'm kinda starting to realize that there isn't quite as much there to spend on FAs as we probably believed initially.  Especially if they're trying to preserve any flexibility to make moves later...it's trickier than I thought. 

I know he's only here for one season (at the moment), but if anything, maybe the Mets would've been better off if Stroman hasn't accepted his QO.  Even though Cano's money will be troublesome in the seasons to come, maybe Stroman's money could've been used to try to bring in Bauer, with some financial gymnastics to be completed in the 2021 offseason in trying to figure out what to do with Cano.     

Apparently Realmuto isn't in a rush to sign with anyone, and Sandy was concerned that the Mets would be left out in the cold in trying to upgrade at catcher.  And there simply weren't any legit options internally...basically sounds like given everything, McCann wound up being the only real option, and Sandy didn't want to fvck around.  I'm guessing the Angels getting involved drove up the cost a bit, but not too too much.  Will be very interesting to see what Realmuto ultimately signs for, and for how long.  Even if I'm still not a huge fan of McCann, I can understand why Sandy went this route...unless Realmuto was suddenly willing to sign (and to Sandy's credit, at least he reached out to JT...Sandy's making it pretty clear that Realmuto's timetable was too risky), options were just that limited.  

Sandy basically confirmed what we all can see...everything's just moving slowly, especially in what he calls the "gourmet aisle".  

Like I said previously, more and more I have a feeling that it will be Springer + some second-tier signings (Odorizzi and/or Kluber) and an extension for Conforto.  Doesn't feel like there's nearly enough in the farm for the Mets to make a deal for Lindor (who will then have to be paid a fortune). 

I'll never be a huge Sandy guy, but all in all, in a kooky Covid world, that's not a bad offseason...yeah, visions of Realmuto - Bauer - Springer were dancing in my head.  But that was probably never realistic.