2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

Two narratives that should have zero chance to gain any traction (but likely will in some of the dumber circles):

1) That the Mets somehow didn't do their homework when they hired Porter, which by proxy makes this yet another case of "Same Ol Mets".  The Cubs and the D'Backs didn't know anything about this either.  No one had anything but good things to say about the hire at the time...there was simply no indication that Porter's closet was hiding a skeleton of this magnitude.

2) That the victim is somehow at fault for not coming forward sooner...I can almost hear some moron (complete with that abrasive Noo Yawk accent) saying "Oh sure, now she says somethin!  If she was so upset, why didn't she say anythin about it back den?!"  The fact is, this woman was being sexually harassed and until you're actually in her shoes, it's impossible to know how you would react...how long it might be before you were finally able to speak out.  Good for her for being able to make this public...I'm sure it had to be very difficult for her.  Hopefully this eases her pain, and allows her to heal.

And of course, good for Cohen for not fvcking around with this...the evidence was clearly there, Porter copped to his actions, and there was nothing left to do.

On a side note, poor Sandy...it seems like as much as this wasn't the plan, he's the de-facto GM until further notice.  

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well hopefully firing the guy in less than twelve hours heads off the former narrative at the past.  The latter one, unfortunately always exists in harassment cases with a good chunk of society.

Re:  the bolded, I've already seen some responses that basically say "And this is why Cohen is different and batter than the Wilpons!"  Which to an extent is almost unfair to the Wilpons, really...yeah, they were awful and incompetent and as unlikable as it gets, but I can't assume that they wouldn't have had taken the same action that Cohen did in this case...there was simply no other way to go, especially with the evidence already out there and Porter admitting what he'd done.

But, I'm glad to see that the Mets aren't being blamed here in any way (so far).  This is not their fault and they did the best that they possibly could to rectify this mess.  Anyone who wants to make it the Mets' fault should then go after everyone who employed Porter after he starting harassing that reporter, because they should have all known too (like I said, that's a stupid narrative to begin with and not remotely fair to the Cubs, D'Backs, or Mets, and hopefully no one in the media tries to make this a "Mets screwed up" thing).  

36 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I read that espn article, good lord that guy didn't know how to take a hint. Geez. He probably has done this to numerous women considering he didn't get the hint after the 3rd text let alone sending 60 something unanswered texts.

What's funny (but incredibly sad) is that guys like him think "Well, my charm isn't getting it done...maybe a d!ck pic will seal the deal!"  

I think if he does all of the right things and works very hard at showing that he's sorry and EXTREMELY willing to make amends...he may be able to find his way back into MLB someday.  Doubt he'll ever get another GM gig though (especially since it's not like there are no women in front offices).  

Oh well...yeah, some fans will bitch, but as has been discussed, Mets don’t have quite as much to spend as many fans would like to believe (especially if the Mets aren’t quite ready to cross the luxury tax threshold).  They have to extend Lindor and Conforto, for starters.

Springer clearly went for the highest bid...that’s fine and his right.  Guessing know that JBJ is a possible signing. 

Not a good week for the Mets, now Brad Hand agrees to a one year, $10.5 million deal with the Nats, which is odd since they didn't claim him when they could have had him for that much.  Seems like the Mets would have easily topped that moneywise, but they couldn't offer him the closer job or even the eighth-inning job with Diaz and Lugo already here.

These are the kinds of things that have a way of happening with Sleepy Sandy in charge.  Still a lot of talent on the roster at least, but I really hope by next season, there's a young, aggressive, energetic GM calling the shots.  As long as Sandy's acting as a GM of sorts, there will be more "just coming up short" or "we were in it and we tried..."

Same ol Sandy.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It does make you wonder when the one big move that happened this offseason came when we had a GM that wasn’t Sandy, while everything else is coming in second and pivoting to option B even before you needed to

Exactly.  That trade is really (for now) propping up an offseason that's seen more second-tier and "Well, ok" signings than we were expecting.  And is it going to shock me if Lindor isn't extended, if Sandy's the by-default GM?  Not one bit.

I know Cohen wants to trust his baseball people, but this is a rare case where I want him to at least rattle Sleepy Sandy's cage just a little.  Sandy's "overdeliberately patient yet somehow I still wind up missing out on players that I should be able to get" MO...I'm just fvcking done with it.  And him.  

On 1/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Toronto gets Springer for 6 years, $150 million.  Vaya con dios...that's at least one year and $30 million more than I would have wanted to do.

Didn't want any part of him at his age. Already 31 and wanting that many years (and possible showing the first signs of decline) no thanks

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Didn't want any part of him at his age. Already 31 and wanting that many years (and possible showing the first signs of decline) no thanks

I get this viewpoint, but at the same time, if the Mets were never going all-in on Springer, they shouldn't have automatically gone right to the second tier with McCann.  They should have been in a lot more on JT.

They're now rumored to be in on Bauer...we'll see if they decide to actually go that route.  Not sure that's necessarily the direction they need to go in...but the rotation would be plenty beastly.  Of course, Sandyball rarely seems to put any kind of a premium on defense, so the OF (with Smith in left, who does try hard, but just isn't an outfielder, and the clumsy Nimmo in center) could make life more difficult for the pitchers than it needs to be.  

Omar to the Mets is like Larry Robinson to the Devils, dude is loyal to a fault.  It is odd that they'd go through this whole thing of letting him go only to bring him back, and for a role anyone could see he would be good at if he wanted to do it.  Maybe he just didn't want to do it at the time but changed his mind?   Or this could be a bit of a subtle brushback cause Sandy's the one that wanted him out.

Omar/Larry is a pretty good comparison.  

Saw this...who knows if it's accurate?

Mets offer free agent pitcher Trevor Bauer record-setting average annual contract (msn.com)

Apparently not very accurate at all, though allegedly there is an offer on the table:

Bob Nightengale on Twitter: "The #Mets confirm they have made formal offer to free agent pitcher Trevor Bauer but that the current offer is less than #Yankees starter Gerrit Cole’s $36 million AAV. https://t.co/bWPc0UGggQ via ⁦@USATODAY⁩" / Twitter

Nightengale getting destroyed on Twitter even worse than Francesa usually does...heh heh...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Realmuto gets 5 years, $115 million to go back to Philly.  Yeah as much as I wanted him I'm not doing that for a 30+ catcher.  Philly pretty much had to because they're getting passed by everyone else in the division.

I would've (Mike Piazza's age 31-33 seasons were still quite productive).  Second-place Sandy probably wasn't that interested (or couldn't be bothered), but in fairness to him, I don't think Realmuto had much interest in the Mets...except to try to squeeze more out of the Phillies.  Also think the Mets would've had to pay more to get Realmuto to even think about it.  

Offseason is starting to feel more "pretty good", even with the Lindor/Carrasco deal.  Which is kind of disappointing.  But what I would expect from the guy who talks the talk and then crawls the crawl.  

Yeah it would have taken more in the vein of 5-125 or even 6-150.  

I do think he could have had McCann or some reasonable facsimilie if he waited though, there's no reason to get a second-tier guy that early in the offseason and lock in, in case the price had gone down on JTR.  That was my big fear of peacing out early, the price would wind up dropping and we'd look like asses.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah it would have taken more in the vein of 5-125 or even 6-150.  

I do think he could have had McCann or some reasonable facsimilie if he waited though, there's no reason to get a second-tier guy that early in the offseason and lock in, in case the price had gone down on JTR.

Mets better hope that they don't have to count on McCann for much offense...because he disappears for long stretches.  Forget that he put up on OPS+ of 57 (?!) in 2018 (not so long ago)...in his last 59 games of 2019, he slashed .226/.277/.403.  His overall numbers were solid last season, but he only played in 31 games.  

Basically, with a new owner and an infusion of cash, Sleepy Sandy still couldn't help himself, and took a mid-market approach.  If he actually extends some players that make sense to extend (or retains them if/when they go to FA), I'll back off him a bit.  But all of this is SO infuriatingly Same Ol Sandy.  

The only saving grace is I don't see how Sandy remains the GM no matter what after this year.  President of baseball ops sure but it basically took an imperfect storm - owner takes over as the offseason starts, GM search has to be conducted while FA is going on, the GM we hire has a very creepy skeleton that leads to his firing - for us to have a same old Sandy offseason this year.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The only saving grace is I don't see how Sandy remains the GM no matter what after this year.  President of baseball ops sure but it basically took an imperfect storm - owner takes over as the offseason starts, GM search has to be conducted while FA is going on, the GM we hire has a very creepy skeleton that leads to his firing - for us to have a same old Sandy offseason this year.

This is very fair