2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

He's Not-Sandy, so that's a start...guess we'll see if the "acting" tag gets taken off in time.  

Well I hope they did a deep dive on Scott's background. He did work with Porter in the Sox org so it's pretty clear what the Mets are looking to mine into in terms of front office philosophy and how they intend to build during the Cohen era.

Regardless of what comes next, I have no issue with Matz being moved...maybe he turns it around, but the guy was Charmin soft.  It really did feel like his time here ran its course. 

Daniel "Net Negative" Murphy retires...was about to enter his age 36 season.

Daniel Murphy Stats | Baseball-Reference.com (baseball-reference.com)

Had his share of flaws and as a Met could really disappear at times (due to not being much of an on-base beast as a Met...he put up a .326 OB% over his final four seasons as a Met...when he wasn't hitting, it often felt like he was invisible), but no one can take away his two terrific seasons with the Nationals...guy was one hell of a hitter those two years.  

Slashed .296/.341/.455 for his career.  I remember when the all-knowing all-seeing Mike Francesa said he wouldn't amount to much of anything.  As usual, Mike was wrong.  

Matz is a never will be. Bit of a head case...breaks down mentally in tense moments. Promising start but far too fragile and we've given him enough chances. He's 29...and a lefty so he'll be getting chances as long as he wants to pitch. But I'm glad he's out of here. Just not a winner. No killer instinct. 

• Like 1

Arenado to the Cardinals and $50 million retained on top of it...this offseason just keeps getting more underwhelming with seemingly only the other NL contenders making moves.  

At this point I'm not even sure how much I'd want Bauer - it'd have to depend on the price and (more importantly) the number of years.  Yeah he's a great talent but he's got a bit of Matt Harvey in him, an egocentric diva who's all about me, and he hasn't exactly been consistent either.

And Cohen's days as a Twitter celebrity are over with since he deactivated his account after people were getting in his grill over the GameStop nonsense.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Amazing how this offseason is ending on more and more of a whimper...from top to bottom.

Even worse is the perception that the franchise is still just the Same Ol Mets.  I’m not ready to condemn Cohen over the GameStop crap, but he simply no longer feels like that much-needed breath of fresh air...we’ll see where this all goes, but there’s very much a “black cloud” vibe over the Mets right now, in just less than three months after Cohen bought the team.  That really blows.

And on the personnel front, yeah, Sleepy Sandy and his general lack of energy, urgency and creativity are hurting the Mets yet again.  It’s almost as though he’s hoping someone else will eventually swoop in and sign or acquire some of these targets so he won’t have to be bothered (but can say the Mets tried). All he’s done since coming back is prove how wrong he was for the “New Mets”...who are feeling more and more like the Wilpon Mets every day.  Really hope the franchise can get past what has become one hell of a speed bump of an offseason.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Internally...they may sort of be reeling a bit from the firing of Jared Porter and getting the new guy acclimated. There has been a ton of overhaul for this franchise in one offseason...new ownership, Sandy, a new GM...a firing...another new GM. In terms of a firm direction, a plan, who they are going to pursue and how (and who are the plan B's and C's) I think they were just flying by the seat of their pants this offseason. There is positivity and hope. The Wilpons are gone. But there is still turmoil. Sort of like moving into a new home and having to have a grand housewarming a few days later. A lot of things still aren't in place yet

• Like 1

More bargain-bin diving from Sandy...RHP Yamamoto signed (former Marlin).  Had a mostly terrific 5 starts to begin his MLB career, but has been pretty bad since.  Was insanely bad in four appearances (three starts) last year.

Depth signing...is what it is.

As if this offseason wasn’t messy enough apparently good old Mickey pulled a Porter plus plus and while he was with the Mets

Sooner or later Sandy’s gonna come under fire too, his last two major hires with the Mets now getting tagged with this kind of behavior- albeit only one did it here and I don’t think Sandy was still in the organization when the Mets ostensibly learned about one of the incidents.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Sad 1

Some articles are already coming out criticizing Sandy, but considering that both Porter and Callaway (and I’m sure others...the “boys will be boys” days are clearly over for good, and there be more days of reckoning coming) would’ve behaved the same way no matter who was signing their paychecks, the narrative really needs to be about what MLB must do to rid itself of this crap.  These two worked for other franchises too...it’s not fair to just put this all on the Mets and Sandy (much as I think Sandy is borderline useless).  But I think there’s definitely a segment of the press that wants to make this as much as about the Mets as anything else.

Yeah I don't want to cancel culture Sandy either, it's just interesting it happened with his last two hires and for their biggest pro jobs.

There definitely is a segment of the media and public that's out to get the Mets though, where is all this moralizing that Callaway hasn't been fired yet by the Angels?  God knows we heard that when the Mets took eight 'hours' to fire Porter, who actually didn't do anything as bad as Mickey, to as many people that we know of.  And if it was such a fvcking open secret with Callaway why didn't any of these a$$hole reporters who are screaming at the Mets just blow the whistle themselves for the benefit of their female colleagues?

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I don't want to cancel culture Sandy either, it's just interesting it happened with his last two hires and for their biggest pro jobs.

There definitely is a segment of the media and public that's out to get the Mets though, where is all this moralizing that Callaway hasn't been fired yet by the Angels?  God knows we heard that when the Mets took eight 'hours' to fire Porter, who actually didn't do anything as bad as Mickey, to as many people that we know of.  And if it was such a fvcking open secret with Callaway why didn't any of these a$$hole reporters who are screaming at the Mets just blow the whistle themselves for the benefit of their female colleagues?

Exactly. 

I'm guessing the "Let's make the Mets look like they're at fault" mentality comes from really wanting to keep up the "See, same old Mets, just as dysfunctional as ever" narrative that was probably black-comedy fun for the media to cover under the Wilpons.  

Sandy already doesn't strike me as having a lot of energy, so I'm not sure how he handles trying to put together a team and all of the "Well you hired them Sandy" distractions that he's going to have to deal with.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that he's going to reach an "I'm old and I survived cancer; I don't need this sh!t in my life" point sooner than later, and will simply resign.  I think another new narrative that is going to start to gain steam is that Sandy is too old school, and someone younger with a more modern approach who is more "in touch" with the current environment (and more sensitive to various issues) should be handling baseball operations for the Mets.

Obviously I am NOT a Sandy fan at all and would be completely on board with him leaving, but not due to the idea that somehow Porter and Callaway are all his fault...because they are NOT.  Like you allude to, I think for Sandy, there's a lot of wrong place/wrong time here...I don't really blame him for any of this, and I think we're going to find out very soon (as more female reporters come forward) that this is a MLB problem...not just one organization, or somehow a Sandy problem. 

And yeah, the forever holier-than-thou press that always knows how to handle everything in hindsight needs to look at themselves in the fvcking mirror, for ONCE.  Like you said, if they knew this about Mickey, maybe SOMEONE could've spoken up?!  The guy was able to get ANOTHER job after leaving the Mets, and though it's impossible to imagine that he won't get canned, maybe someone could have said something THEN?

On the other hand, we know how the media is almost like a fraternity at times...maybe the women (apparently five of them) being harassed by Callaway simply weren't ready to come forward yet, until now?  So much that still needs to come out, about what exactly happened when.  But at some point, the media needs to stop sitting on this stuff, when some of them know what's going on...that's only allowing these issues to continue to fester...these same issues that they all claim to be so concerned about, and criticize everyone but themselves for their existence.    

And apparently Callaway (through a statement to The Athletic) is taking the classic "Double Down, I'm Untouchable" approach...that it's not what it appears to be, all was consensual, blah blah blah.  Other than Joe Beningo coming through accusations having been cleared, it seems like with damned near all of these cases, it's the old smoke = fire.  Get the feeling this is going to get very ugly for Mickey.  

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL Angels 'suspend' Callaway pending investigation.  Which really means they're too fvcking cheap to pay his $500,000 (or whatever it is) contract and are gonna take a pounding for waiting two weeks to save on the contract and fire him for cause.

I get the feeling the Angels will cave and fire him sooner (even if it costs them money).  The media will be all over them, especially with some pretty damning evidence out there.  And it's not like the Angels are a small-market, cash-strapped franchise that needs to penny-pinch here.  Who knows is that's the reason, but it's not a great look, regardless.

Although I know some want to make the Mets look bad over Porter, at least they didn't fvck around at all when they let him go.  Better that then the about-face "After further consideration, we have decided to terminate the contract of Mickey Callaway..." statement that the Angels will have to make within the next few days, once everyone starts piling on.  

OK, gotta be fair...by Mickey proclaiming his innocence, Angels have to investigate before firing him (just read that in various places).  Seems like it’s just delaying the obvious outcome, based on the evidence.  Porter admitted to his transgressions. 

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's also apparently a California labor law violation to fire him before an investigation...I thought this was just financial/MLB contract language.

What's always annoying is when these guys (Marv Albert, Craig Cartoon*, and now Mickey, among many others) know that they did something fvcked up, and think by proclaiming that they didn't...that it's almost a given that they'll get off.  I get the feeling that this investigation is not going to take all that long...seems like there's a hell of a lot of unflattering evidence that strongly suggest Mickey acted incredibly inappropriately.  It really feels like Mickey is trying to buy whatever time that he can...just don't know what the point is.  And of course, sometimes if you simply admit that you have a serious issue and you're willing to really do something about it (seek therapy and lay low for a while before even thinking about trying to get back into the game), just doing that can help with everyone opening themselves up to the idea of a second chance.    

*I just think you calling Carton "Craig Cartoon" is hilarious.  I feel for Evan...Carton is such a pushy, unrepentant jerk...constantly interrupting, and already seems to have forgotten what a complete sociopathic POS that he was...he should be counting his fvcking luckies every day that he got a second chance.  And of course, he's all too happy to push forth the whole "Same Ol Mets" crap.  Funny how people don't seem to realize that it's not like these guys screwed up elsewhere, then everyone knew about it, and THEN the Mets rolled the dice on them and blindly hoped for the best.  Mickey took a job with the Angels after the Mets canned him.  Porter was lauded as a terrific hire by many...INCLUDING THE MEDIA!  I just don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than a MLB issue that is now (rightly) getting a white-hot spotlight.  I don't understand the need to pile on the Mets and make it seem like somehow it's any more on them than it is anyone else in MLB.  

Of course, now that female journalists are starting to come forward...hard to think this kind of conduct is restricted to just Porter and Callaway (in current times, anyway...Steve Phillips had his incident back in the day).  I'm sure there are other execs, coaches/managers, and players who are starting to worry a great deal about what might come out in time.  

I'm not a Michael Kay fan by any means (he has the lamest HR call ever, and is just kind of annoying), but he echoes my sentiments, in that this is about to blow up in a huge way...and I'm sure we'll be very surprised at some of the offenders, as more and more people come forward.

And yeah, will be very interesting to see how offending players are handled, once exposed...especially upper-echelon types.  One thing to fire a GM (with a team president and assistant GM already in place) who readily admits his wrongdoing, or a pitching coach/someone on a coaching staff, but once that first bigger-name player is outed...oh man.  It hasn't fully happened yet (we'll see if Porter and Callaway are truly the first dominoes), but wow does it feel like the walls are about to come down...stuff like this has to have been happening for years, with the offenders almost feeling like it was their right (not even wondering if such behavior was really "wrong"), and women sucking it up and taking a "It's part of the job, just gotta deal with it as a female reporter" stance, even though I'm sure they didn't want to in the slightest.  Let's face it, I'm guessing just about all of the offenders never truly thought that this would ever come back to bite them...for so long, it was just part of the culture...just "how things are" (and ditto for the women who grudgingly accepted that they'd have to deal with unwanted advances that came with the territory).  Which means that there's probably incredibly damning stuff, in high volume...via texts, photos, video, etc...because these guys truly believed there was nothing to be afraid of, so what did they have to lose by being so forward?    

You almost wonder if someone actually dares to try to come out ahead of being exposed...basically someone who knows it's only a matter of time before he will have accusers who will come forward, so in the hopes that he might come off a little more contrite/remorseful (especially compared to others), he'll admit that he was a lecherous cad where he shouldn't have been (even providing his own evidence of exactly what he did), and show that he's willing to do whatever he has to do to make up for his mistakes. 

Yankees’ Michael Kay: Mickey Callaway, others preyed on female reporters | ‘Marriages, careers will be ruined!’ - nj.com

Yeah hopefully in a sense this is baseball’s MeToo reckoning, although it still wouldn’t shock me if the reaction to players was proportional to their talent level, ie stars get suspended, fined, have to read an apology and go to counseling while the AAAA players will be blackballed.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah hopefully in a sense this is baseball’s MeToo reckoning, although it still wouldn’t shock me if the reaction to players was proportional to their talent level, ie stars get suspended, fined, have to read an apology and go to counseling while the AAAA players will be blackballed.

This is going to be the problem.  There's going to be double standards galore.  The meh guys will be the ones made "zero tolerance" examples, and tossed from the game (with minimal chances to get back in, no matter what they do).  For legit stars, it will be a suspension and counseling, apologies, and then back on the field...quite possibly within the same season.  

Some of the media (Deesha Tholar of the Daily News, and Mike Vaccaro of the NY Post for another) really going with this "People like Sandy should've known, not enough vetting", in classic media "We always know what to do, we've got it all figured out" fashion.  

Of course, none of them can come up with answers as to how exactly to improve the vetting process...just that it needs to be done.  So basically complain about the problem, but not have any concrete way of fixing or improving things.  And of course, in typical media fashion, there's no critique within the media circle towards each other.  There were people who clearly knew about some of what these people were up to (for years apparently), and there were reporters who had proof of the misdeeds, and all chose to keep quiet.  I can't equate these cases to a child scarred by molestation (where such silence is certainly understandable)...these were adult journalists who were fully capable of informing others about how certain people involved in professional sports had crossed a line, armed with proof.  

I feel for the victims that had to deal with completely unwanted advances, and don't want to go into "Blame the victims" mode, but I'm sorry, you can't continue to bitch about the problem if you were part of the problem.  These were not cases of physical sexual assault; these were inappropriate texts and pictures that represented irrefutable evidence, and could have been brought to the attention of affected franchises much earlier than they were.  If the media is so gung-ho on telling everyone else how to solve what is clearly a serious problem...play a role in trying to make it happen!  I'm sorry, in this era, had this info come out earlier, I don't think women journalists wouldn't have garnered sympathy, if the actions of some entitled jerks came to light much sooner than this offseason.  The "Boys Will Be Boys" defense only goes so far...most people don't think that, and I'd like to think most "normal" men were appalled by both Porter's and Callaway's actions.  I have yet to see anyone try to defend these guys, based on the info and evidence that's out there.  

Really feels like the media wants to have it both ways on this one.  Here's a crazy idea...next time a player, front office exec, manager, whoever clearly crosses a line, and is dumb enough to send electronic proof of his intentions...don't sit on it.  Don't wait until there a "right" time to run with it.  If you all care about each other so much, then realize that by sitting on such explosive evidence, you're allowing your colleagues to potentially deal with the same treatment...did any of you ever think the reason a guy like Mickey has done this multiple times is because you all chose not to come forward...he's a P.O.S at worst, guilty of extremely rotten judgment at best, and this is all on him, but had you called this guy out on his crap earlier, not so crazy to think that more of his incidents could've been avoided altogether.  It's your silence and delayed exposure that helps these douchenozzles believe that they can keep getting away with it!

• Thanks 1