2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

In other news the Bauer rumors are heating up.  Heyman thinks there'll be a resolution in 24 hours or so, Andy Martino seems to think we're closing in on him.  I can't really complain if the Mets sign him to some 2-75 or 3-100 deal with optouts, especially since we don't know what the deal is going to be with Thor after this offseason (and how he comes back).

On 2/3/2021 at 11:18 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's always annoying is when these guys (Marv Albert, Craig Cartoon*, and now Mickey, among many others) know that they did something fvcked up, and think by proclaiming that they didn't...that it's almost a given that they'll get off.  I get the feeling that this investigation is not going to take all that long...seems like there's a hell of a lot of unflattering evidence that strongly suggest Mickey acted incredibly inappropriately.  It really feels like Mickey is trying to buy whatever time that he can...just don't know what the point is.  And of course, sometimes if you simply admit that you have a serious issue and you're willing to really do something about it (seek therapy and lay low for a while before even thinking about trying to get back into the game), just doing that can help with everyone opening themselves up to the idea of a second chance.    

*I just think you calling Carton "Craig Cartoon" is hilarious.  I feel for Evan...Carton is such a pushy, unrepentant jerk...constantly interrupting, and already seems to have forgotten what a complete sociopathic POS that he was...he should be counting his fvcking luckies every day that he got a second chance.  And of course, he's all too happy to push forth the whole "Same Ol Mets" crap. 

LOL I don't remember where I heard the Cartoon thing but I'm pretty sure I didn't invent it.  Ironically one of the best monikers I did invent was Rip Van Sandy.

And yeah sometimes I watch their opens or a couple of monologues on YouTube and Craig is just as annoying as he's always been.  Sadly it wouldn't shock me if that kind of radio sells though.  As much as I liked Joe and Evan personally they were never ratings gold, always more of an everyman niche following probably because there was no conflict with each other (even if they had plenty of memorable rants over their respective teams), they were pretty much in agreement on everything since their one memorable blowup over Beltran early on.  Plus Carton likes to incorporate too many other things outside of sports into the conversation like Peter Rosenberg on steroids, and that's gotta drive Evan nuts but that kind of crossover bullsh!t probably sells too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

In other news the Bauer rumors are heating up.  Heyman thinks there'll be a resolution in 24 hours or so, Andy Martino seems to think we're closing in on him.  I can't really complain if the Mets sign him to some 2-75 or 3-100 deal with optouts, especially since we don't know what the deal is going to be with Thor after this offseason (and how he comes back).

Interesting.

I get the feeling there's not going to be much in-between with him...he's either going to build off last year's abbreviated campaign and just shred it while he's here, or have everyone screaming "We paid THIS much for THIS?!"  

I admit it...there's red flags with him, but I'll take the chance.  Especially since we don't know what Noah's gonna be when he returns.  

It's weird...I'll be happy if the Mets sign him, but don't see myself being crushed if they don't.  Carrasco has helped Bauer feel like more of a nice luxury (though of course, more imperative that Noah comes back and is effective whenever he does).  

Get the feeling that if it's not Bauer, Sandy will insta-pivot right over to Odorizzi.  Then we'll see if any other moves are made prior to ST.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL I don't remember where I heard the Cartoon thing but I'm pretty sure I didn't invent it.  Ironically one of the best monikers I did invent was Rip Van Sandy.

And yeah sometimes I watch their opens or a couple of monologues on YouTube and Craig is just as annoying as he's always been.  Sadly it wouldn't shock me if that kind of radio sells though.  As much as I liked Joe and Evan personally they were never ratings gold, always more of an everyman niche following probably because there was no conflict with each other (even if they had plenty of memorable rants over their respective teams), they were pretty much in agreement on everything since their one memorable blowup over Beltran early on.  Plus Carton likes to incorporate too many other things outside of sports into the conversation like Peter Rosenberg on steroids, and that's gotta drive Evan nuts but that kind of crossover bullsh!t probably sells too.

I get the feeling Evan comes home much more exhausted than he did with Joe.  Working with Cartoon probably feels very much like exactly that:  WORK.

Rip Van Sandy is a classic...and very sadly entirely too accurate.

It all depends on what he signs for.  I won't be thrilled if he signs a deal with an optout next offseason (though I could live with that, then at least they could theoretically re-sign either him or Thor) or a deal that's like 4-125 or higher.   I can't really argue with any other short-term deal in general with a pitcher though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I’d be fine with a two-year deal.  I could live with one or three years.  But yeah, like the idea of shorter-term deals for pitchers these days

Like that the Mets are doing this...more and more I'm convinced that Bauer is hoping that the Dodgers come up with a better offer (I think money is Bauer's primary motivator, which is fine...he's hardly the first FA to go with the highest bidder, and heaven forbid he suffers an injury, this may be his one and only opportunity to make big money, even if it's a short-term deal).  But enough is enough...just make up your fvcking mind Trevor.

MLB rumors: Mets set Trevor Bauer deadline; Giants among teams after in Jake Odorizzi - CBSSports.com

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That’s probably 90% of it, at this point I think if the Dodgers even just matched the Met offer he’d go there, defending WS Champs and his hometown team is gonna get the tiebreaker.

More and more it reminds of Kovy and the Kings and Devils.  Before he signed with the Devils, he SO wanted to go to the Kings...it was so obvious...just looking for the Kings to make it worth his while (the Kings did make a nice offer IIRC, but simply weren't going to try to sign Kovy on anyone's terms other than their own).  Finally he realized that the Kings weren't THAT into signing him, so he took the most money, said "This is team", and that was that.  

I think Bauer's agent is practically begging the Dodgers to step up...and they're probably saying, "Fine, your client wants the most money, he can just go to the Mets.  If he wants to be part of a World Champion and an established team, he knows where to find us.  But make up your damned minds."

LOL that’s a fair comp too, that FA was almost as drawn out as this one only even Kovy wasn’t enough of a jackwagon to try to break the news on YouTube. And after he posted a signed Mets hat giveaway he posted one with the Dodgers too. This guy even makes Harvey look restrained 

Well Bauer put one on all of us after all, he went to the Dodgers. And now he’ll be the most hated player who never played here other than maybe Chase Utley, maybe.  And all the baseball media looks ridiculous since everyone and their grandmother had him coming here.

Instead of Kovalchuk this wound up being more like Kevin Durant to Golden State.  Great player going to a championship team already.  That rotation aye yai yai...either Kershaw or David Price is their #4 starter now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh well...that's what he wanted all along.  

So Sandy saved money by not signing Realmuto so he could sign Springer, then saved money by not signing Springer so that he could not sign Bauer.  That's just so Rip Van Sandy.

Mets rumored to be interested in Justin Turner.  Which means they won’t get him.

They did sign Villar, who apparently can play a lot of positions not well, has a little power, and strikes out plenty.  Sounds like the classic Sandy signing.  

Supposedly the Mets talking to the Cubs again about Bryant.  I say no...he's a Boras client (as is Conforto...not sure how many Boras guys any team should want to deal with), he's not good defensively (at some point Sandy has to start to realize that defense actually matters), he'll cost the Mets some prospects, and he's only signed for 2021...on top of that, it doesn't look like the Mets are going to be so willing to blow past the luxury tax threshold as fearlessly as a franchise like the Dodgers will.

Heard a little blurb from Maggie Gray (in a WFAN teaser) about Mets fans complaining about this offseason (and not understanding why).  Here's how I see it...at this point, I'd say given expectations, the offseason was pretty good...the problem being that, based on the resources available and Sandy yet again talking the talk (but crawling the crawl), "pretty good" was really the bare minimum of what we could've hoped for.  Brandon Nimmo is ideally a 4th OF type who does get on base (that's his best asset), but will be asked to be an everyday CF, because of course when presented with a chance to pay up for a bona-fide CF in Springer, Sandy found a way to cheap out and come close, but not quite...because Sandy has that way of not only coming in second, but being OK with it when it happens.  Too many holes that were screaming to be filled with now-obtainable targets were passed over for the usual flawed second and third-tier options that Sandy is so enamored with.  

Someone said it perfectly on NYFS...it feels like the Mets started the inning with the bases loaded and no one out, and managed to scratch a couple of runs across...not a total loss by any stretch, but the offseason felt like it could have and should have been more.  And with Sandy back in the fold, I can't pretend that I'm one bit surprised that it turned out this way.  

Still good talent on the team overall, and they have a shot to win 86-90 games...defense is obviously going to be a problem, but they should hit.  Rotation has upside, but I can't pretend that I have tons of confidence in Stroman and the "Throw them against the wall and hope one of them sticks" gaggle of starting arms that Sandy collected (hopefully Peterson steps up, though he was never much of a hit suppressor in the minors...hard to imagine he'll repeat that limited-sample trend that he enjoyed in the majors).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Supposedly the Mets talking to the Cubs again about Bryant.  I say no...he's a Boras client (as is Conforto...not sure how many Boras guys any team should want to deal with), he's not good defensively (at some point Sandy has to start to realize that defense actually matters), he'll cost the Mets some prospects, and he's only signed for 2021...on top of that, it doesn't look like the Mets are going to be so willing to blow past the luxury tax threshold as fearlessly as a franchise like the Dodgers will.

Heard a little blurb from Maggie Gray (in a WFAN teaser) about Mets fans complaining about this offseason (and not understanding why).  Here's how I see it...at this point, I'd say given expectations, the offseason was pretty good...the problem being that, based on the resources available and Sandy yet again talking the talk (but crawling the crawl), "pretty good" was really the bare minimum of what we could've hoped for.  Brandon Nimmo is ideally a 4th OF type who does get on base (that's his best asset), but will be asked to be an everyday CF, because of course when presented with a chance to pay up for a bona-fide CF in Springer, Sandy found a way to cheap out and come close, but not quite...because Sandy has that way of not only coming in second, but being OK with it when it happens.  Too many holes that were screaming to be filled with now-obtainable targets were passed over for the usual flawed second and third-tier options that Sandy is so enamored with.  

Someone said it perfectly on NYFS...it feels like the Mets started the inning with the bases loaded and no one out, and managed to scratch a couple of runs across...not a total loss by any stretch, but the offseason felt like it could have and should have been more.  And with Sandy back in the fold, I can't pretend that I'm one bit surprised that it turned out this way. 

I generally agree with the first paragraph unless you’re the Nationals who Boras seems to own a piece of :P

I can’t even say this offseason was good in the aggregate because all these other teams around us made big moves and got better too. Part of the reason this offseason  feels like a drag is what all our rivals and teams we’ll need to beat out (and already needed to catch up with) did:

Braves - added Morton, retained Ozuna and will get Soroka back

Cardinals - traded for Arenado only giving up one quasi top prospect

Padres - traded for Darvish and Snell

Dodgers - added to an already loaded team by bringing in Bauer. 

A big part of the over the top hype for this offseason was not only the belief we would spend but also that nobody else would.  Neither meme has really proven to be true yet, the biggest contract the Mets brought in was one they traded for in Carrasco while it was the Phillies retaining JT and Didi, the Blue Jays going the extra mile for Springer and the Dodgers trumping us for Bauer.

Edited by NJDevs4978

59 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I generally agree with the first paragraph unless you’re the Nationals who Boras seems to own a piece of :P

I can’t even say this offseason was good in the aggregate because all these other teams around us made big moves and got better too. Part of the reason this offseason  feels like a drag is what all our rivals and teams we’ll need to beat out (and already needed to catch up with) did:

Braves - added Morton, retained Ozuna and will get Soroka back

Cardinals - traded for Arenado only giving up one quasi top prospect

Padres - traded for Darvish and Snell

Dodgers - added to an already loaded team by bringing in Bauer. 

A big part of the over the top hype for this offseason was not only the belief we would spend but also that nobody else would.  Neither meme has really proven to be true yet, the biggest contract the Mets brought in was one they traded for in Carrasco while it was the Phillies retaining JT and Didi, the Blue Jays going the extra mile for Springer and the Dodgers trumping us for Bauer.

This is all fair.  Other teams were either more aggressive and/or more creative...neither of those traits is a Sandy strength.  Sadly he operates like a GM who has a way of hitting on lower-tier guys, except that he makes those moves and they wind up not panning out.  Will it be any great surprise if McCann winds up disappointing?  I don't think so.    

And yeah, as far as REALLY spending goes, we don't have any proof that the new Mets are willing to do that just yet.  There's some significant names about to become free agents (Lindor, Conforto, and Syndergaard, to name three...Stroman too, though I'm not a big believer in him), and if Sandy's still basically calling the shots, I could see him finding a way to lose ALL of them...not saying that he won't make offers, just that he has shown time and time again that he has a way of either not getting it done, or doing less than expected.  All this season did was re-affirm my lack of faith in him...more and more, I'm feeling so pissed that he's back here.  He didn't do a terribly good job in his first go-round (no the Wilpons didn't help, but he made some very questionable moves, as we well know...and if not for his preferred Carlos Gomez deal falling through, and his THIRD option Cespedes going on an absolutely INSANE run, and being able to cash in on a lot of OMAR'S players in 2015, his first time here would be remembered VERY differently)...I really hope Sandy's time here is very short.   

On the bright side, Tim fvcking Tebow is somehow getting ANOTHER invite to spring training.  Sandy still trolling Mets fans.

I was wondering why he was trending earlier, I didn't bother to look - someone cracked maybe they wanted to call him as an impeachment witness :P

Ironically I just noticed today with all the changes to the minors at least they put the Yankees AA team in Somerset so that's less than a half hour away for me when they play Binghamton (assuming they stay in the same division long-term).

Edited by NJDevs4978