2020 Mets offseason thread

NJDevs4978

And since this Tebow nonsense has finally come to a merciful end, just a few last thoughts (and what can make Sandy so infuriating):

“It has been a pleasure to have Tim in our organization as he’s been a consummate professional during his four years with the Mets,” Alderson said. “By reaching the Triple-A level in 2019, he far exceeded expectations when he first entered the system in 2016 and he should be very proud of his accomplishments.”

I know it's not like Sandy's going to reminisce about this situation as it really was...but at the same time, don't insult everyone's intelligence either.  Tebow NEVER should've been playing in AAA...the Mets for some reason just kept levelling him up, even though it can be argued that he didn't really do enough to merit ANY of his promotions...there's probably no other player who would have been whisked up to AAA so quickly (let alone get 239 Triple-A at bats) having done so little in previous levels.  He did get hot in AA for a while (more due to insane hitting luck than anything else), and because he got hurt before he could come back down to Earth, his AA numbers were kinda respectable...that was the highlight of his career as a pro baseball player.  But the AAA stint was an embarrassment and an absolute disaster...and the fact that it took TEBOW and not Sandy to realize that it really was time to just end the whole "Timmy's Personal Fantasy Camp" farce is just maddening.

He really should have been demoted back to AA in 2019, strictly based on (lack of) performance, but I think the reason that never happened was because there was a very good chance Tebow might not hit in AA either, and then it would've gotten even more uncomfortable for all involved.  I'm done with this after this post, but even with Tebow seeming to be someone who always tries his absolute hardest to be the best person that he can be (I'm anti-religion, so on that front I can't get on board with his beliefs, but the guy's heart does always seem to be in the right place), I've gotta think there were other OFs in the Mets' system who had to wonder why the hell this 30-something former football player who for the most part couldn't really hit and wasn't much of a fielder was getting legit prospect treatment.  There had to be some level of resentment...part of me wonders if Tebow suspected that a 33-year-old OF with a .495 OPS in AAA getting even MORE time in the minors might not fly with fans and teammates.  I do give him credit for never allowing it get ugly.  

• Like 1

Yeah I still don’t get why Sandy is apparently the driving force with all this Tebow stuff, I always assumed it was a Jeff thing and a little kissing up to Brodie (his former agent) until Sandy came back and Tebow was still given the red carpet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I still don’t get why Sandy is apparently the driving force with all this Tebow stuff, I always assumed it was a Jeff thing and a little kissing up to Brodie (his former agent) until Sandy came back and Tebow was still given the red carpet.

I think Tebow didn’t mind cashing in on his name to get his chance with the Mets...I also think he was OK with being moved up, even though his numbers didn’t support those promotions.

But, I do believe that he wanted to legitimately EARN his chance to play with the big club...I don’t think he ever would’ve wanted to come up as a token major leaguer who gets one AB or two, and then can say he made it to the majors.  And for that I give him credit.

Sadly, I do think if he had played again this year (and once again struggled at AAA), Sandy STILL would’ve likely given him a “Well you tried” call up...and would’ve defended it by making just one or two plate appearances not seem like a big deal (and he would’ve come off as completely tone-deaf).  This would have been such a slap in the face to all of the minor leaguers who like Tebow weren’t good enough to reach the majors...including the many who were way better than Tebow, but because they were just “typical” minor leaguers without a name brand, were never going to get gifted a chance to get as far as Tebow did.  I’m glad that he had enough integrity to not let Sandy do something that would’ve led to no one being truly happy (outside of Tebow’s most ardent disciples, who think EVERYTHING he does is gospel).  If a AAA .170-hitting Tebow had been called up, everyone involved would’ve been ripped, and rightly so.

Also sad is that I think that Sandy would’ve been doing what he thought was the right thing.  More and more I think he and the Wilpons truly deserved each other.  Both equally clueless and far too content to come close.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

He pitched into good fortune last season (had a high FIP and low BABIP), but should be solid if he can stay healthy.  There’s decent depth, as far as starting pitching goes...at least the days of Chris Flexen and Corey Oswalt-types getting first looks when guys inevitably go down are over.  

I kinda like the Taijuan Walker signing. Injury issues exist...and his era last yea I feel was a bit deflated compared to the type of contact he was giving up (lucky) but I mean he's pitched in some full seasons and was pretty darn solid for significant stretches. Good to have him here

fwiw he will be wearing #99. Turk Wendell's old number

Edited by '7'

Well spring training begins tomorrow with an afternoon game.   It's 24 games long against only four teams (the Marlins, Astros, Cardinals and Nationals) with games against each team once and an off day in every five-day stretch to reduce travel.  The first TV game is Tuesday, not that any of us will be watching that hah, but at least it is something of a spring training this year.

I wish I was more excited than I am...I think the offseason being too Sandy-like for my tastes (almost predictably so) is diminishing my enthusiasm a bit.  It feels like unless Lindor is extended, 2021 is a one-year window to win it all.  A lot of guys could leave after the season, and I don't expect Sleepy Sandy to make that much of an effort to keep them...it will be more of "We tried."  Like I've said, the wrong guy was brought back to run the show, and it's going to hurt.  I don't doubt Cohen's ability to spend, but I think he's actually willing to let his baseball people make decisions without meddling.  Sandy's just too used to saving pennies and not being willing to go that extra mile to bring in a player who makes perfect sense.  Sorry Sandy, pivoting right away to a question mark at catcher (no way I trust McCann's bat), letting $5 million per year stop you from filling an obvious need, and then offering more for a third season option that you KNEW meant nothing in the grand scheme to miss out on a guy that you clearly wanted in Bauer is a joke.  

Too bad Porter is who he is, because I have a feeling there was a good (and creative and aggressive) GM there.  But he's got no one but himself to blame for blowing himself up.

I have the Mets as currently constructed winning 90.  Not sure if that's going to be good enough.  Guess it all depends how Sandy's discount aisle depth acquisitions pay off.  He didn't tend to hit on those during his last stretch here.   

I’m probably more looking forward to the season because my other sports teams suck than anything else, even though I share your pessimism over Sandy and the Mets being a day late and a move short this offseason. I do have some (foolish?) hope that Sandy will fade into the background by next offseason and the time the bill comes due on the Lindor, Conforto and Thor contract negotiations but that day can’t come soon enough at this point, especially with fvcking nonsense like this

Edited by NJDevs4978

So really nothing is all that different.  Now the Mets are an upper mid-market team that, when push comes to shove, is still going to look to save pennies over making the big move.  Something disappointing in that.

Maybe a non-Sandy type is willing to do more.  I still don't think Cohen wouldn't go over the luxury tax threshold, if it made sense for his ballclub.  

So it seems like Jeffy urged Sandy to expidite the hiring of Callaway, and the Indians knew the stuff about him and didn't say anything so it seems like Francona's gonna be in some sh!t too.  Boy if this a$$hole manages to get both Sandy and Francona fired that's one helluva accomplishment :P

Carlos Carrasco has a sore elbow, being held out for a few days.  Never a peaceful easy feeling when a pitcher is dealing with discomfort, no matter how minor the Mets want to make this sound.  

Yeah someone even got Francona to comment (or dug up an old quote) about how Carrasco usually has elbow discomfort early in camp. I guess we’ll find out soon enough whether the ‘new’ Mets are just as non-transparent with their injury reports as the Jeff Mets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, we've seen too many times how something relatively "small" blows up into something more in Metland.  And pitchers...

Who ever would’ve guessed that it was only a matter of time before they broke up?

And yeah, that would have made what seemed destined to be a rotten ownership situation even worse.  

On 3/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least we dodged a bullet on this one

Good riddance. And they were so doggedly persistent in their pursuit of the Mets. Everyone wanted them gone and for Cohen to seal the deal already

Supposedly they're not done yet, and are trying to work through their issues (apparently they do a lot of couples counselling)...they're still engaged, for whatever that's worth.

Still, given their histories (especially hers), hard to imagine that there won't be a (potentially nasty) breakup at some point...and I'm glad that the Mets are not ever going to be in the middle of it.  And they just always struck me as an impulsive "power couple" who were more obsessed with having a Latina owning the team and whatever prestige they thought would come with that, as opposed to the work that would actually be involved.  From both the money and the "running the team" aspects, I think they would've been in way over their heads...they would've failed colossally...like I said a while back, this would have been the same as Roger Dorn owning the Indians.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Supposedly they're not done yet, and are trying to work through their issues (apparently they do a lot of couples counselling)...they're still engaged, for whatever that's worth.

Still, given their histories (especially hers), hard to imagine that there won't be a (potentially nasty) breakup at some point...and I'm glad that the Mets are not ever going to be in the middle of it.  And they just always struck me as an impulsive "power couple" who were more obsessed with having a Latina owning the team and whatever prestige they thought would come with that, as opposed to the work that would actually be involved.  From both the money and the "running the team" aspects, I think they would've been in way over their heads...they would've failed colossally...like I said a while back, this would have been the same as Roger Dorn owning the Indians.  

And the media attention...the constant shots of them in the luxury box like royal kings and queens. Plus the personal life tabloid gossip. Good riddance. It would've been a distraction.

You can win with loony clown owners (Marge Schott, Steinbrenner...who maybe wasn't a clown but, sort of like a wrestling heel) but everything beneath them needs to be airtight. And we're not that

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

And the media attention...the constant shots of them in the luxury box like royal kings and queens. Plus the personal life tabloid gossip. Good riddance. It would've been a distraction.

You can win with loony clown owners (Marge Schott, Steinbrenner...who maybe wasn't a clown but, sort of like a wrestling heel) but everything beneath them needs to be airtight. And we're not that

Yeah, it was just a potentially scary situation all-around.  To an extent, owning a sports franchise (especially in a top market) is obviously a vanity thing, but at least with guys like Cohen, they'll stay in the background just enough and let their baseball hires run the show (or in Cohen's case, try to build a "one of us" rapport with the fanbase, in a good way).  Two complete narcissists like JLo and ARod would've made owning the Mets all about THEM...and ARod would've meddled so much that Jeffy would have seemed completely hands-off by comparison.  A guy like ARod would have been in "See, not only can I own a baseball team in MLB's largest market, I can put together a successful winner too!" mode from Day 1.  I can't see how them owning the team wouldn't have been anything else except a complete disaster.  

Re:  Cohen...in his case, I almost WANT to see him get a little involved sometimes...is anyone going to be shocked when Sandy doesn't get Lindor and/or Conforto extended?  As usual, no urgency with Sandy at all.  This is one time where I want to see Cohen say "Just get it done!  No more fvcking around."  

The baseball gods can seriously fvck off.  Just leave us alone for one fvcking season!