Favorite Non-Devils Hockey Memories

Devil Dan 56

What are some of your favorite hockey moments or memories that didn't necessarily involve the Devils? 

One that immediately comes to mind for me is  Jon Casey coming in for an injured Grant Fuhr and taking the Blues to Game 7 double OT before Yzerman ended the Cinderella run in I think 96 or 97 

Also the 1996 World Cup when the US beat Canada 2 games to 1. 

I thought this might bring up some good moments from yesteryear that others had forgotten

Edited by Devil Dan 56

North Stars run to the Cup in 1991. That was the first time I ever remember being into non-Devils hockey. I was more of a passive hockey fan from 86-90, Fall 1990 was when I first became a really serious hockey fan, and I really bought in to the North Stars. Then Pittsburgh killed them lol. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

North Stars run to the Cup in 1991. That was the first time I ever remember being into non-Devils hockey. I was more of a passive hockey fan from 86-90, Fall 1990 was when I first became a really serious hockey fan, and I really bought in to the North Stars. Then Pittsburgh killed them lol. 

That was also Jon Casey in net if I remember correctly!

I really liked the North Stars. I think I still tend to root for Dallas from time to time because of them. 

Team USA winning the 1996 World Cup of Hockey over Canada.  I was in college and let's just say it was a great night all around.  

The 2010 Gold Medal game between the US and Canada.  That was some intense hockey with the US tying the game late to force OT.  Just a really good, hard fought hockey game.

The Blackhawks winning the Cup in 2010 over the Flyers.  I've always liked the Blackhawks as my second team - probably because I liked their jerseys from when I was a little kid and always played with them in NHL 94 growing up (Belfour, Chelios, Roenick, and Larmer was as good as it got in that game).  The added benefit of them beating the Flyers, in Philly in front of that crowd of degenerates made it all the more special.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

When Martinez scored in overtime to send the Rangers home with tears in their eyes.

That and the ‘96 World Cup. Never been prouder to be an American hockey fan as when we knocked off Canada in Canada.

Edited by MadDog2020

Trenton Titans (ECHL) and Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) championship wins in 2005. It really sucked to miss out on a whole season of the Devils cause of the NHL lockout but it ended up being an amazing year for both of those teams and there was a lot of fun hockey to watch because of them. I miss having "local" minor league hockey around. Atlantic City included, the Trenton-Atlantic City rivalry was always fun.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Going to one of my first hockey games at MSG in the early '70's.  Toronto vs. Rangers.  I think I was in the high greens definitely not the blues.  There was a Ranger fan in an Indian Headdress, he was called the Chief. (I don't know what he did but) The section I was in  started yelling "F*** You Chief!" The section the Chief was in yelled back "Leave the Chief Alone!" This went on for about 5 minutes.  The same game they were about to drop the puck in one of the offensive zones.  The arena was dead quiet (no music between stoppages) A guy from the blue section yells to Rangers center Pete Stemkowski "Hey Stemkowski! You F***in Suck!"  You could tell the players heard it.  I was amazed THEN someone could yell that loud.  It just showed me much how better the in-game experience was and how crazy hockey fans are.😎

Edited by Rock
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Trenton Titans (ECHL) and Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) championship wins in 2005. It really sucked to miss out on a whole season of the Devils cause of the NHL lockout but it ended up being an amazing year for both of those teams and there was a lot of fun hockey to watch because of them. I miss having "local" minor league hockey around. Atlantic City included, the Trenton-Atlantic City rivalry was always fun.

Yes!  We were in AK for the Titans winning the conf finals and then all games in FL including the championship clinching game.  Came home and was able to get tickets to the phantoms cup clinching game at the last minute. The lockout made it a great year for minor league hockey. 

Sad that Lou came to town promising to paint the town red (to spite the flyers) and essentially put the final nail in the coffin for Trenton. Signing a 10 year lease and folding after a year. 

Other than that the Miracle on Ice was the first truly memorable moment I will never forget. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I got to see some really good hockey in 2005 because of the lockout. Our AHL team at the time was the Ducks affiliate, and we had Ryan Getzlaf (who joined for the playoffs), Joffrey Lupul, Chris Kunitz, Ilya Bryzgalov, and bunch of other NHLers on that team. I basically got to watch NHL quality hockey at minor league prices. That was probably the most games I ever went to in one season.

As to the OP, mine would be the two times our local ECHL team (Cyclones) won the Kelly Cup. Especially the first one in 2008. David Desharnais completely dominated the league as a rookie that year, and was a blast to watch. I was really bummed when he became a Ranger later on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, titans04 said:

Yes!  We were in AK for the Titans winning the conf finals and then all games in FL including the championship clinching game.  Came home and was able to get tickets to the phantoms cup clinching game at the last minute. The lockout made it a great year for minor league hockey. 

Sad that Lou came to town promising to paint the town red (to spite the flyers) and essentially put the final nail in the coffin for Trenton. Signing a 10 year lease and folding after a year. 

Other than that the Miracle on Ice was the first truly memorable moment I will never forget. 

That's awesome that you went to Alaska for those games, I didn't get out there for that but I went to Atlantic City for the game 3 ot win that sweeped them which was a blast and was at game 6 vs Florida to see them clinch the Kelly Cup as well. This makes me want to go back and watch the DVD I have somewhere lol There were so many OT games during that run. 

The Phantoms run was awesome too, I was at almost all their home games, including them lighting up Marc Andre Fleury when he was on Wilkes-Barre. Those Calder Cup games were awesome too with sold out crowds and everyone wearing purple. I really liked Jeff Carter and Mike Richards because of that year and that's what made 2012 suck even more when it was those guys beating us. 

It's an absolute shame the Devils didn't just leave them as the Titans and just slap a Devils logo on the shoulder. I think they would maybe still be around till this day if they didn't alienate half the fan base but that ship sailed away years ago. It's just a shame that building is sitting there with so many less events going on now. I always wished the Devils would put their AHL team there but bring back the Trenton Titans name. I'm not a big baseball guy at all but saw the Trenton Thunder lost their Yankees affiliate so would be a shame if that stadium ends up being useless too, they always draw pretty good crowds. 

There isn't much on YouTube in terms of going down memory lane, these 2 are from the DVD I was talking about...

• Like 1

I was in the building for the USA Canada outdoor World Junior game in Buffalo, that was incredible. Coldest experience of my life. I think we came back from down 3-1 and won in the shootout.

That and winning the gold the year before, when Troy Terry scored a thousand shootout goals in the finals and semis. Parise's 2010 Olympic final goal too. 

Aside from the big moments, I always loved games in Atlantic City. Seems like there were more Trenton fans here, but I went to a few Bullies games when they were around, and saw Adam Larsson there with Albany when they played a couple of AC games 5 or 6 years ago. They were giving out posters of the Bullies 2003 Kelly Cup win and I still have it up in my kitchen. 

That building just has some magic in it. Such a cool place. I saw probably the greatest college basketball game I've ever seen live there in 2018 too.

Also, speaking of, I think it's a crime Jersey has been losing professional sports teams left and right over the last few decades. Pretty much every major Jersey city has lost a baseball team in the last ten years with the Thunder on their way out the door.

Especially in hockey, the Devils should be working on building and maintaining a healthy hockey infrastructure in the state. No reason whatsoever our affiliates shouldn't be in the state. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid (70s), I lived for a few years in Houston. As a German, Hockey was the only local pro sport that my dad could relate to. So we went to a few Houston Aeros games. They were playing in WHA at the time, I remember them playing against the New England Whalers, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. I remember my Dad pointing out that there was a playing who was playing together with his 2 sons on one line. That fact really impressed me, but I had no idea that I was watching one of the greatest all time players, Gordie Howe

• Like 3

I got to experience the 2006 Winter Games both men/women tournaments in person while working for NBC. Just a magical few weeks. From watching the women's tournament up close, just being around guys like Jagr prepping his sticks, to having some funny pictures of a beyond drunk Peter Forsberg we ran into at the bars that night post Gold. 

• Like 3
  • Shocking 1

8 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I got to experience the 2006 Winter Games both men/women tournaments in person while working for NBC. Just a magical few weeks. From watching the women's tournament up close, just being around guys like Jagr prepping his sticks, to having some funny pictures of a beyond drunk Peter Forsberg we ran into at the bars that night post Gold. 

That's awesome, damn. What an experience 

The 1989 Smythe Division semis where the heavily favored Calgary Flames took on an upstart Vancouver Canucks team led by a young Trevor Linden.

The Canucks gave the Flames a fit and Vancouver succumbed to Calgary in a classic game 7 in OT.

Great series and the Flames rolled to their first and only Cup after that classic series against underdog Vancouver.

• Like 1

- World Cup of Hockey at (name removed) USA vs Czech Republic

- Army versus New England (I think) at West Point and watching them win 13-1

- USA beating Canada in 2010 in the prelims when Kesler scored with that dive and Doc’s voice cracked

- Vegas vs Winnipeg in Vegas. Great game, awesome friends to be with, walked back to the hotel as the sun came up and my alarm going off less than 2 hours later and me still mostly drunk.

In 2009 during the world juniors I was at a party with a bunch of friends for the Canada Russia game.

Canada was trailing 5-4 and i still remember vividly looking at the time, like 10 seconds left and reaching out to grab a handful of regular ruffles chips while saying "I can't fvcking believe Canada won't even make it to the finals..."

Then Eberle scored that goal with 5.4seconds left and we all went nuts. Then they won in shootouts.

And to this day. I still never ate that handful of ruffles chips. 

Edited by SterioDesign

As an early teen I was a big bruins fan. Orr was the man. Espo was the scoring king. Then they traded him to the rags. And Brad park became a bruin. I couldn't take it and left hockey for 20 years. My wife a huge devils fan started me with the devils in 1995.. but I didn't get serious until I started skating with my son..

But after all that obviously the biggest hockey event was beating the russians in the miracle on ice😆 

• Like 1