The masks of the men between the pipes

Nicomo

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have to disagree. If another goalie who wasn’t Marty wore that mask I doubt it would be considered the best. Some of those other ones are pretty damn cool.   

Have to agree with this, Marty’s mask is iconic because its Marty’s mask, not because of its design. If some scrub wore it, we’d be wondering why the fvck it has a huge J on the forehead. As designs go, it pretty lame. 

But, like yo momma says, it’s not about the equipment, it’s how you use it. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree with this, Marty’s mask is iconic because its Marty’s mask, not because of its design. If some scrub wore it, we’d be wondering why the fvck it has a huge J on the forehead. As designs go, it pretty lame. 

But, like yo momma says, it’s not about the equipment, it’s how you use it. 

Iirc he had that mask made because he didn’t know if he’d be playing in Utica or NJ, and the design worked for either. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Iirc he had that mask made because he didn’t know if he’d be playing in Utica or NJ, and the design worked for either. 

Anything with a Devil in black and red would have too...instead he went with something very uninspiring. 

41 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have to disagree. If another goalie who wasn’t Marty wore that mask I doubt it would be considered the best. Some of those other ones are pretty damn cool.   

It’s such a simple, classic look though. I think I’d love it even if it wasn’t worn by the greatest player in franchise history lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s such a simple, classic look though. I think I’d love it even if it wasn’t worn by the greatest player in franchise history lol.

We’ll never know, I guess, because Marty is Marty. It’s definitely better than that MB30 design he went to later. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We’ll never know, I guess, because Marty is Marty. It’s definitely better than that MB30 design he went to later. 

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hated the MB30 mask. He should’ve never switched.

I hated when he did the watermark bullsh!t with the MB30 like in the first post. The classic Marty was best only cause it was in the red and black. When he had that time that shall not be mentioned, it looked awful.

• Like 1

A blank mask cost about $1850 and David Gunnarsson who's THE man doing most of all goalies paintjob is price starts at $650. (which is incredibly cheap... that must be like.... bare minimum design)

The artist who did Crawford's mask is from quebec though and doesn't have quite the portfolio David has so he may be a bit cheaper

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

A blank mask cost about $1850 and David Gunnarsson who's THE man doing most of all goalies paintjob is price starts at $650. (which is incredibly cheap... that must be like.... bare minimum design)

The artist who did Crawford's mask is from quebec though and doesn't have quite the portfolio David has so he may be a bit cheaper

But still not $200. 

On 12/16/2020 at 5:59 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

A few from back in day:

Schwab, Billington, El Sid (Sidorkiewicz)

9437313E-DDE3-4B93-BB03-A0014A8704C9.jpeg

6586FDDB-7B9B-4F4E-B828-C656B12580A9.jpeg

AF405F6F-00AD-4A29-8E3D-A21CAF06C4A1.jpeg

Damn, I was coming in here to mention Billington, then I started second guessing myself if he even played for us lol. I remember him mostly on Ottawa but was pretty sure he played for us. Always trust your instincts!

Also, here's one that I don't think has been said..... Did anyone mention Mike McKenna?

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:02 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I can't say that I actually LIKE the look (though I'm familiar with the story behind it, and why Marty never had the logo finished after it was obvious that he was never going back to Utica), but somehow it did feel right on Marty...I think what I liked about it most is that there was no "Look at me" vibe to it...it was just there.  Marty's play did all of the talking.

And just as much as his "Utica or NJ Logo, TBD" mask felt right, the MB30 one just didn't.  It was almost like when Wayne and Garth would play their raw "Wayne's World" tune to kick off their show, and then saw that version swatted away for a new, polished, overproduced version of that song that simply didn't work.  MB30 just felt...wrong.  Even worse is when some Devils fans started to turn on Marty and would derisively call him "MB30".  Hated to see that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Damn, I was coming in here to mention Billington, then I started second guessing myself if he even played for us lol. I remember him mostly on Ottawa but was pretty sure he played for us. Always trust your instincts!

Also, here's one that I don't think has been said..... Did anyone mention Mike McKenna?

I just remember that Billington had a nice simple design, I hardly remember anything else about him. He had a cool mask on Ottawa too I think. 

And good call on McKenna. He had a more badass version of the Sidorkewiecz one, it looks like

079FC7E8-1F19-48F7-A940-F320B07FC405.jpeg

• Like 1