New Season Announced: Training camp 31st December

Chimaira_Devil_#9

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

In a division with Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, and the Islanders, where only the top four get in? Not happening lol.

Lol it’s true it’s a tough division. If not playoffs then in the race.  Boston’s top line is out like the first month. The caps and pens are old and due for their decline to begin. The pens don’t have goaltending to keep up with this schedule. I feel one of those teams will not meet expectations and have a bit of a down year.

• Like 1

My personal hope for this season is simple - just be fvcking entertaining.  Be a fun team to watch for the first time in fvcking forever.

I'm tired of Devils hockey being meaningless by (under normal circumstances) December.  

Rutgers is finally turning a corner in both football and basketball and the games are actually fun to watch again.  I hope Devils follow the trend this year but with this division... I dunno.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

My personal hope for this season is simple - just be fvcking entertaining.  Be a fun team to watch for the first time in fvcking forever.

I'm tired of Devils hockey being meaningless by (under normal circumstances) December.  

Rutgers is finally turning a corner in both football and basketball and the games are actually fun to watch again.  I hope Devils follow the trend this year but with this division... I dunno.

We're probably going to have to look at this season in context. The majority of games will likely still be meaningless and they're probably going to lose a decent amount given the division, but individual level performances can still matter and be entertaining. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, devlman said:

I’m calling playoffs. Having one of the best goaltending duos in the league will really be a benefit with the shortened season.

Having all the young kids, many of whom I think take really good strides forward, will help with physical recovery from one game to the next. There will be a lot of beat up teams this year and having a young squad can actually be in our favor.

I think our forward depth isn’t a weakness and the defense should be improved. Can’t wait for the season to go.

...and if not, like you said, it’ll be a great season for gaining valuable experience.

Wouldn't this be one of the years where having a week goaltending duo would actually not hurt as much?  I mean, you're playing less games, so you could make the argument that less experienced goalies may not get as overworked as easily in a regular 82 game season, and the same for veteran/older goalies....they might relish a shorter season that allows them to player at the top of their game for a shorter duration. 

Didn't see this posted anywhere but I'm happy with it because these reviews should never have to take so damn long... 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/12/22/nhl-announces-covid-19-protocols-rule-change-for-2020-21-season/

"Starting this season, players will no longer have to have their skate in contact with the blue line to remain onside. The blue line now becomes a vertical plane.

This has been a talking point for years in the league, especially with offside reviews highlighting just how many goals get overturned because a player’s skate was a quarter of an inch off the ice when the puck enters the zone. This rule change will allow for more goals, and that is good for everybody."

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Didn't see this posted anywhere but I'm happy with it because these reviews should never have to take so damn long... 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/12/22/nhl-announces-covid-19-protocols-rule-change-for-2020-21-season/

"Starting this season, players will no longer have to have their skate in contact with the blue line to remain onside. The blue line now becomes a vertical plane.

This has been a talking point for years in the league, especially with offside reviews highlighting just how many goals get overturned because a player’s skate was a quarter of an inch off the ice when the puck enters the zone. This rule change will allow for more goals, and that is good for everybody."

I wish they’d just get rid of the offsides challenge altogether, but this is definitely better than the way it was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wish they’d just get rid of the offsides challenge altogether, but this is definitely better than the way it was.

same. to me its kind of defying the purpose of the rule.

We all know why the offside rule exist. You don't want a forward to just be cherrypicking or getting a pass way beyond the blue line for a breakway or wtv. We all get that, its so players don't have a crazy advantage over the dmen.

Well... i feel it's safe to say that... if we HAVE to spend 5 minutes zooming in and watching a play in slow motion.. to see if a player lifted his skate 0.005 second before the puck crossed the line or wtv.... Welllllllllllll i think it's fair to say the player didn't really have a clear advantage there. Just let that slide for the love of god

• Like 2

I don't know, gentlemen, where you get any serious or relatively serious expectations for the upcoming season. New coach, 4 newcomers in the squad, 3 places(and maybe more) will be taken by prospects, Hughes is still a kid physically. Such problems are not solved in a short period of time. In the strongest division. If we take at least the penultimate place in the division , it will actually be progress. I will be happy if Hughes gets 0.5 PPG, among all our prospects, at least one (preferably two) will become regular players of the main squad. And i have a little hope Murray will be healthy and play solid, and devils will resign him after.

15 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We're probably going to have to look at this season in context. The majority of games will likely still be meaningless and they're probably going to lose a decent amount given the division, but individual level performances can still matter and be entertaining. 

Fair and realistic outlook, you're right.  For me, it's not so much about the wins and losses but just... look competitive.  Look like we're actually an NHL team that's close to taking that much needed step forward.  Don't look completely outclassed against sh!t-tier teams like Buffalo (though they may be legit this year).

I have this voice in the back of my head screaming "The Devils are the Oilers East" and I sure hope the team gives me something to shut that voice up soon.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

same. to me its kind of defying the purpose of the rule.

We all know why the offside rule exist. You don't want a forward to just be cherrypicking or getting a pass way beyond the blue line for a breakway or wtv. We all get that, its so players don't have a crazy advantage over the dmen.

Well... i feel it's safe to say that... if we HAVE to spend 5 minutes zooming in and watching a play in slow motion.. to see if a player lifted his skate 0.005 second before the puck crossed the line or wtv.... Welllllllllllll i think it's fair to say the player didn't really have a clear advantage there. Just let that slide for the love of god

That’s how I feel. If it’s that close, nobody got an advantage, you’re just trying to call back a good goal on a technicality. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

A couple of months ago my daughter showed me an article asking about 1 rule change I would change in the NHL. It was this. Tired of seeing 5 minutes looking to see if a skate is 1 micrometer above the blue line.  The 2nd was to get rid of the f***ing trapezoid.  just the fact Bobby Clark railroaded this through to offset Marty's stick handling ability still rankles me to this day.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wouldn't this be one of the years where having a week goaltending duo would actually not hurt as much?  I mean, you're playing less games, so you could make the argument that less experienced goalies may not get as overworked as easily in a regular 82 game season, and the same for veteran/older goalies....they might relish a shorter season that allows them to player at the top of their game for a shorter duration. 

Yeah but I think the idea is fewer days off in between games would be taxing on goalies, even if they’re playing fewer games overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is like a baseball schedule. Lots of two, three, and even a four game series.

i don't hate it - should create a lot more intensity. I wouldn't mind if they keep this idea going forward and just throw in 1 game against the west (alternating each year who gets at home) and 2 games against the other division.

obviously go back to regular divisions when travel permits next year (all canada division stinks under normal circumstances).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Yeah but I think the idea is fewer days off in between games would be taxing on goalies, even if they’re playing fewer games overall.

True.  I wonder how goalie tandems did in 2013 during the last shortened season, and back in 95 as well.  I might take a look later and see what I can find. 

I don't really like the schedule - I was fine with playing only teams in our division and I know they didn't have a choice in the matter, but playing most of the teams essentially back-to-back-to-back, or more, is kinda lame.  I get that it'll create more intensity to a degree, but my answer to that is that we already have a rivalry against those teams and we have them so much as it is, that I don't think it needs any intensification by playing so many games in a row.  It is what it is though, and I'm just happy hockey will be played at all, so I'll take it. 

• Like 3

That 4 game series vs the Rangers is insane as it is but it will really be insane if both teams are in the playoff hunt still by then. Thats a huge swing of points if a team can go 3-1 or sweep that 4 game series. 

This schedule is setting up the season to reduce the possibility of teams spreading covid to one another and all these back to back games definitely help with that. If someone tests positive on one of those teams it will be easier to isolate those teams if they have to.

Edited by Satans Hockey

45 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That 4 game series vs the Rangers is insane as it is but it will really be insane if both teams are in the playoff hunt still by then. Thats a huge swing of points if a team can go 3-1 or sweep that 4 game series. 

This schedule is setting up the season to reduce the possibility of teams spreading covid to one another and all these back to back games definitely help with that. If someone tests positive on one of those teams it will be easier to isolate those teams if they have to.

Honestly, it makes total sense. Might as well at the same team multiple times rather than mixing all of the players day by day and potentially spreading it more. 

Obviously it doesn’t guarantee anything, but it’s not a bad thought. Who knows, maybe on some level the players will be amped up to see who wins the 4 game series and we get more intense play, like an early playoff round. I can dig it. 

• Like 1