Jump to content

Devils close to a deal with Blackwood


Recommended Posts

I like Blackwood a hell of a lot and feel strongly that he could have a great future here.

Anything over $4 million per year at this point though seems like a lot.  He has 70 NHL appearances (64 starts) under his belt to date.  I know the Devils are flush with cap space, so it doesn’t matter that much if the numbers approach what mfitz posted...just seems like a lot of money for someone who still has much to prove.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Blackwood a hell of a lot and feel strongly that he could have a great future here.

Anything over $4 million per year at this point though seems like a lot.  He has 70 NHL appearances (64 starts) under his belt to date.  I know the Devils are flush with cap space, so it doesn’t matter that much if the numbers approach what mfitz posted...just seems like a lot of money for someone who still has much to prove.

I don’t really disagree. And I could be totally wrong, as my answer wasn’t really based on anything. Just a feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Now THAT seems like a very reasonable deal.  I was thinking right around $2.5 - 3 million per year for Blackwood, but when I saw some of the estimates on here, I started wondering if I was thinking too low.

Breakdown is interesting...$1.475 million in Year 1, $2.8 million in Year 2, and $4.125 million in Year 3.  The whole deal has nice bargain potential.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This is a great prove it deal with a nice 4 million dollar final year. 

To put it in perspective, the cap hit is just slightly above Miles Wood and board favorite Zacha 

Yeah, it's a nice show-me deal with a "We really believe in you kid" third-year gamble...I don't think Fitz does that for just anyone in Mac's position.  Obviously if Mac doesn't develop as hoped turns out to be little more than an up-and-down starter or decent backup, the third year isn't great value...but sometimes you take a little risk like this and hope that it pays off.  I fully support that pat-on-the-back from Fitz.

Blackwood just joined a pretty exclusive club:

CURRENT DEVILS UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2022-23:  Nico, Severson...and Blackwood.  That's it.

There's a number of kids on ELCs who will be under contract in 2022-23, but none of them have played with the big club yet.  Suffice it to say that the future most definitely has yet to be written for the Devils...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, it's a nice show-me deal with a "We really believe in you kid" third-year gamble...I don't think Fitz does that for just anyone in Mac's position.  Obviously if Mac doesn't develop as hoped turns out to be little more than an up-and-down starter or decent backup, the third year isn't great value...but sometimes you take a little risk like this and hope that it pays off.  I fully support that pat-on-the-back from Fitz.

Blackwood just joined a pretty exclusive club:

CURRENT DEVILS UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2022-23:  Nico, Severson...and Blackwood.  That's it.

There's a number of kids on ELCs who will be under contract in 2022-23, but none of them have played with the big club yet.  Suffice it to say that the future most definitely has yet to be written for the Devils...

That’s actually pretty crazy. Probably a 4th coming any day now with Bratt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s actually pretty crazy. Probably a 4th coming any day now with Bratt. 

Oh yeah for sure. 

Curious to see if there's any chatter with Palms now.  Regardless of how I feel about him (I'd love for him to stick around, because guys who average 30 G per 82 GP haven't exactly been plentiful here, and Palms has done that in his five seasons as a Devil), I can definitely understand arguments for both moving him and keeping him.  Unfortunately I don't think he'll fetch that great of a return...but given where the Devils currently are, I don't want to see him walk for no return either.  Never got the impression he was looking for anything absurd (and as we know, not like the Devils won't have money to pay him), but I'm fully aware that his next deal won't be nearly as cost-effective as this past one was...guess we'll see where it goes.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh yeah for sure. 

Curious to see if there's any chatter with Palms now.  Regardless of how I feel about him (I'd love for him to stick around, because guys who average 30 G per 82 GP haven't exactly been plentiful here, and Palms has done that in his five seasons as a Devil), I can definitely understand arguments for both moving him and keeping him.  Unfortunately I don't think he'll fetch that great of a return...but given where the Devils currently are, I don't want to see him walk for no return either.  Never got the impression he was looking for anything absurd (and as we know, not like the Devils won't have money to pay him), but I'm fully aware that his next deal won't be nearly as cost-effective as this past one was...guess we'll see where it goes.  

The market has changed. It is very likely that he will either receive adequate money, or try to sign with Seattle. He is not Pietrangelo, he will not be able to claim for the status. He doesn't have one. And for his past services, he can only be paid here. 5.5/6KK for 4-5 years - is it much for him here or not?

Edited by Guadana
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh yeah for sure. 

Curious to see if there's any chatter with Palms now.  Regardless of how I feel about him (I'd love for him to stick around, because guys who average 30 G per 82 GP haven't exactly been plentiful here, and Palms has done that in his five seasons as a Devil), I can definitely understand arguments for both moving him and keeping him.  Unfortunately I don't think he'll fetch that great of a return...but given where the Devils currently are, I don't want to see him walk for no return either.  Never got the impression he was looking for anything absurd (and as we know, not like the Devils won't have money to pay him), but I'm fully aware that his next deal won't be nearly as cost-effective as this past one was...guess we'll see where it goes.  

I’d like to keep both him and Gusev, but I kind of doubt that will happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d like to keep both him and Gusev, but I kind of doubt that will happen. 

If the Devils are competitive it's possible but otherwise I think they get flipped at the deadline. Both of them are several years removed from the timeline of the rest of the team. I like them both though and wish it didn't have to be that way, but Palms especially deserves a chance to win while he's still producing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.