2021 Training Camp Thread

MadDog2020

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why, should he just sign whatever contract is offered? 

I’m sure Fitz is not offering anything unreasonable. You’re big on black and white stats, well Bratt’s career high in points is 35. Now his underlying numbers are good, and there’s a ton of potential there, but as of yet he’s not earned some big time contract. Sign a bridge deal and prove your worth. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m sure Fitz is not offering anything unreasonable. You’re big on black and white stats, well Bratt’s career high in points is 35. Now his underlying numbers are good, and there’s a ton of potential there, but as of yet he’s not earned some big time contract. Sign a bridge deal and prove your worth. 

If they are offering what Blackwood got or more, then he’s being a d!ck. I have a feeling they are offering him significantly less. 

I mean he’s on a team that’s paying Miles Wood $2.75m. If they are offering him $1m per and asking him to play like a top 6 forward, I can see why he might be perturbed. 

I think the reflex is to blame ownership in these situations. But as you’re indicating, could be Jesper’s fault just as easy. 

Also blonde dudes are hard to trust. Ivan Drago, Johnny from Karate Kid, etc. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i'm not too stressed. Fitz made good deals so far and it's not like we can expect playoffs this year so what is Bratt missing a few games really

Not with that attitude!

It just sucks that after like 37 months off we’ll be starting the season without both Nico and Bratt. 

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Does Bratt has the same agent as Zacha?

For reference, Zacha’s career high in points is 32 and he makes $2.25m AAV. 

Bratt has 100 points in 185 games. Zacha has 108 in 266 games. 

Bratt > Zacha, so Bratt Contract should be > Zacha Contract.

Based on what Blackwood got, I don’t think the offer on the table is more than $2.25 AAV, and I think that’s why he is holding out. 

Also, Nico’s deal. He is a 0.65 PPG player, Bratt is 0.54 and didn’t spend a season next centering an MVP Taylor Hall. 

Nico has a contract with a $7.25m AAV. Now, I don’t think Bratt should make what Nico makes by any means, but if Nico is getting $7.25m and they are asking Bratt to take less than $2m,  I can see where he might say WTF. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It just sucks that after like 37 months off we’ll be starting the season without both Nico and Bratt. 

Hear that, as excited as I am to have hockey back (and a MUCH needed diversion from some of the other sh!t going in my life), it already feels like the Devils are screwed...not that I was expecting a ton this year, but I can see them getting off to one of those brutal starts that takes you out of the season before it even has a real chance to breathe.  Hopefully not...I'm eternally optimistic, and this season will be more about youth getting sprinkled in and guys taking steps forward anyway.

I wonder what term they're offering.  I imagine it's probably a 2-3 year deal, especially if it's a low sum - no reason to think Bratt would want to be locked up for more than that at this age because he very well could start to break out in the next year or two and then be worthy of a significant raise.  The Devils have plenty of cap room right now though, so I really don't see why we wouldn't offer him something like 4yrs/12M - we get him for a decent amount of time and not have to go through this again for another 4 years, and he gets a pretty fair deal at $3M/yr.  It's not a big cap hit, and both parties should be happy...

Edited by NJDfan1711

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, Nico’s deal. He is a 0.65 PPG player, Bratt is 0.54 and didn’t spend a season next centering an MVP Taylor Hall. 

Nico has a contract with a $7.25m AAV. Now, I don’t think Bratt should make what Nico makes by any means, but if Nico is getting $7.25m and they are asking Bratt to take less than $2m,  I can see where he might say WTF. 

Bratt actually played quite a bit with Hall during the MVP season. I don’t know the exact numbers, but I seem to remember him and Palms splitting time on that 1st line pretty evenly.

And Nico’s deal was probably set by Clayton Keller’s. Bratt isn’t getting anything close to that. 

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And Nico’s deal was probably set by Clayton Keller’s. Bratt isn’t getting anything close to that. 

I know he's not, that wasn't the point. The point was, if they paid Nico $7.25m, and they are offering Bratt Blackwood type money where he is making under $2m the next two years, I can see where Bratt might be like hold up, I'm contributing almost as much as that fvcking guy, at least from his perspective. Not sure I would agree with him but I see where the argument would come from.  

Not saying that gets him $7.25m, but $3m AAV over 2-3 years? Sure, I could see that argument. 

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt actually played quite a bit with Hall during the MVP season. I don’t know the exact numbers, but I seem to remember him and Palms splitting time on that 1st line pretty evenly.

Wasn't my recollection but I guess its possible. I couldn't find any kind of numbers on it. But even still, He's 0.1 PPG behind Nico, so if they are totally lowballing him, I can see why he might be upset, especially given all of the money we aren't spending below the cap. 

Edited by mfitz804

...predictions: Bratt - 3x $2.5m (essentially the Zacha deal with a small boost) Blackwood - 3x $4m

This was my prediction on 10 October in another thread (had to search for it cause I couldn't remember).

I say 3x $3m for Bratt is fair based on the Zacha/Wood deals.

Now only if him and Fitz agree... @mfitz804 call your relative and get this sh!t moving

EDIT: also, something I just noticed on CapFriendly: Its the last year of Cammy's buyout hit. Hello, extra $1.67m!

Edited by jagknife

45 minutes ago, jagknife said:

This was my prediction on 10 October in another thread (had to search for it cause I couldn't remember).

Now only if him and Fitz agree... @mfitz804 call your relative and get this sh!t moving

EDIT: also, something I just noticed on CapFriendly: Its the last year of Cammy's buyout hit. Hello, extra $1.67m!

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. 

49 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My dad's name is Thomas. If it was that Thomas, I would get better seats, I would think. 

I think 3x $3m is a good number. I suspect its more like Blackwood's deal, with sh!t money the next two years (Blackwood's second year isn't sh!t) and then something like $3m in year 3. 

Of course, I'm speculating that it's low, just as much as those who think Bratt is not accepting something that's reasonable. To me, that makes more sense. I don't see $3m x 3 being on the table and Bratt just saying no. 

Also kind of really thrown off by what was really a team friendly deal with Blackwood. I mean, $1.475 this year to be a (possibly) starting goalie in the NHL? Following a 22 win season on last year's crap team? And especially not for a goalie, who probably stands a better chance of getting hurt. Year one on that deal was inexplicably light. 

Just on AAV, Blackwood is 38th on the list of goalie salaries. There are only 16 guys making less than $1.45m next season, Samson and Carter Hart being two of them who are also going to be due for pay raises after this season as they come off of their entry level $925k AAV deals. 

Edited by mfitz804