2021 Training Camp Thread

MadDog2020

It's been a while since I've posted. Let's be honest Fitz can't be completely off the hook on this one. Crawford wasn't even adequate in his play the last 2 seasons.  It wasn't a good signing at all. Fitz has made some good moves but he's also made some bad ones and he hasn't been around long enough in the big chair to be racking up the bad ones. Vatanen has been good one. The Coleman trade was good. Anderson trade good. Jury is out on Murray. Shakir bad pick, Bratt situation very bad.

3 minutes ago, capo said:

It's been a while since I've posted. Let's be honest Fitz can't be completely off the hook on this one. Crawford wasn't even adequate in his play the last 2 seasons.  It wasn't a good signing at all. Fitz has made some good moves but he's also made some bad ones and he hasn't been around long enough in the big chair to be racking up the bad ones. Vatanen has been good one. The Coleman trade was good. Anderson trade good. Jury is out on Murray. Shakir bad pick, Bratt situation very bad.

He had a .917 sv% last year...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah capo not sure what you’re talking about here.  He was mediocre in 2018-19, but was solid last season.  At any rate, seemed like a good signing at the time.  Starting to get the impression that some fans think Fitz should’ve known from the minute Crawford signed that he might back out.  I think this is a case of unfortunate circumstances for the Devils.  Doesn’t mean that the situation doesn’t suck of course.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well we don't really know yet but with guys like Gunler and Peterka still there....meh. I'd say we can all at least admit it was off the board.

We can say a lot but it's way too early to claim that this pick is a bad one. For such a young player, i was pleased with his play during the World Champion ... Still rough and maybe that would be a bad pick at the end... But it's not a hopeless player ! Far from it... 

2 minutes ago, moustic said:

We can say a lot but it's way too early to claim that this pick is a bad one. For such a young player, i was pleased with his play during the World Champion ... Still rough and maybe that would be a bad pick at the end... But it's not a hopeless player ! Far from it... 

The only thing I claim to know is it was off the board.

Edited by NJDevils1214

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The only thing I claim to know is it was off the board.

This is what I'm going with. They just aren't in position to make a pick like this in the top 20. These kids are scouted like crazy. No one had him in the 1st round. The thinking was we have 3 picks let's take a gamble with one. 

I love Holtz and Mercer but 20?

59 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

6th among goalies who played in at least 40 games. 

23 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

OFFICIAL: Devils have signed forwards Travis St. Denis and Danick Martel, along with goaltender Jeremy Brodeur to AHL Contracts

Fast track JB? Lol

There you go, you needed a goalie, you got a Brodeur. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

6th among goalies who played in at least 40 games. 

There you go, you needed a goalie, you got a Brodeur. 

He can even use Marty’s old mask...the unfinished Devil logo kinda-sorta looks Iike a J...

5 hours ago, hit the post said:

Kind of like Marty....😜

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We don’t talk about those 8 games lol. 

3 hours ago, hit the post said:

Yet its in the books and still makes me puke. I will never understand his need to be anything but a Devil.....8 fvcking games.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand it. He didn’t want to admit he was done. He wanted to go out on his own terms. 

but yeah, it’s still sickening. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It was actually only seven fvcking games, to be fair, heh heh.

He still thought he had something left, even though there was a mountain of evidence that strongly suggested otherwise.  Unfortunately he was one of those guys who had to have the game give up on him, instead of the other way around.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was 42 years old and coming off two weak seasons, with little indication that he had anything left...even the greats often have a hard time finding someone to take a chance if their recent play is prohibitive enough.

Though he was far from good with the Blues, yeah, at least he wasn’t totally-embarrassing-awful (say, .860 - .870 save%, or winless).  He even posted one last shutout.  

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. His last game was in April of 2014, it was a great night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, capo said:

Ok, fair enough. I'll take that back. I have an issue with him being 36  and the GAA. But, I don't want an argument. 

Chicago also had a really bad team last year too, he was coming here to be a backup and would have been good for Blackwood to learn some stuff from. It's not like he was going to be our starter unless Blackwood got hurt. 

13 hours ago, capo said:

Ok, fair enough. I'll take that back. I have an issue with him being 36  and the GAA. But, I don't want an argument. 

GAA is not a great number to try to measure goalies by.  Play for a bad defense that’s giving up a lot of shots (and several high-quality ones), a goalie’s GAA is going to take a hit.

Age was a reason for some concern, but he was coming off a good year, signed for a reasonable cost, and was only going to be here for a year or two.  Really did seem like a good move at the time.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Let's be honest JB is most qualified to be the Uber driver for players being shuffled around and getting Marty to the rink. He's done nothing to earn an AHL deal or even a ECHL deal at this point. His numbers speak for themselves. Sliding all the way down to the SPHL the last two years and if I remember right under 10 games total. 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Welcome to the forums.

That being said, not like anyone here has any inside knowledge as to what exactly is going on with Crawford.  Long and short, he was with the Devils for the first two days of practice, then took a couple of “maintenance days,” then some personal days, and now is taking an extended leave of absence, with no specific reasons given as to why and no timetable as to when he might be back, which of course has led some to speculate as to what might be going on and what is driving this.  But anything outside of reported facts is strictly that:  speculation.  Until we hear something from Crawford or people who know him and are truly aware of what he wants to do, no one knows what the deal is.

No choice but to wait and see (and hope that if he’s willing and able, Crawford will stay with the Devils).

Thank you for replying and also welcoming me to this forum. I didn't think that anyone here had the inside track and knew the facts, but I thought that maybe I had missed a publicly published article with a reason.  Like you explained, very confusing considering the time frame.

• Like 1