2021 Training Camp Thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That lineup is bad.  Nico, Jesper and Vatanen can't get cleared to play soon enough.  

Don't really understand why they kept Foote up and exposed Merkeley to waivers.  Seems like Merkley would have been a good extra forward this season, and Foote would be better served playing with the Newark Binghamton Devils of the RWJ Barnabas Health Hockey House, but what do I know.

Hopefully they find a backup G on the waiver wire because Wedgewood isn't going to cut it.   

Obviously the reinforcements you listed will eventually be on the ice, but yeah, against some teams, you see that lineup Amanda wrote up out on the ice and all you can think is "Oh my sweet Jesus..."  That's not so far from mid-80s Devils bad.  

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously the reinforcements you listed will eventually be on the ice, but yeah, against some teams, you see that lineup Amanda wrote up out on the ice and all you can think is "Oh my sweet Jesus..."  That's not so far from mid-80s Devils bad.  

We can even use the second half of the 10s Devils bad now lol

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

even with nico, bratt and vats this team is pretty bad unfortunately lol

But at least we're trending up and not down

As long as Jack, Nico, and Blackwood develop and continue to improve...feels like it starts with them.  And hopefully some other kids (like Bratt, Smith, later Holtz and Mercer) follow suit.  I like to believe that the Devils are trending up too, but right now it's hard to tell which direction they're going.  I'm optimistic as hell though.  

In a way I'm glad that I only have to watch this team for 56 games and not 82.  I think we'll see some good games and some fun moments...but a lot of rough ones too.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As long as Jack, Nico, and Blackwood develop and continue to improve...feels like it starts with them.  And hopefully some other kids (like Bratt, Smith, later Holtz and Mercer) follow suit.  I like to believe that the Devils are trending up too, but right now it's hard to tell which direction they're going.  I'm optimistic as hell though.  

In a way I'm glad that I only have to watch this team for 56 games and not 82.  I think we'll see some good games and some fun moments...but a lot of rough ones too.  

i said this a million times but i'd pick a bunch of young guys with potential trying to build something to win in the future 10 times out o 10... over putting together a desperate attempt at a miracle, piecing together a bunch of over the hill vets, getting worst and worst every year and dragging the team right into the ground.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i said this a million times but i'd pick a bunch of young guys with potential trying to build something to win in the future 10 times out o 10... over putting together a desperate attempt at a miracle, piecing together a bunch of over the hill vets, getting worst and worst every year and dragging the team right into the ground.

Who has time for that?

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i said this a million times

Make that a million and one.  

To be clear, I'm not knocking where the Devils are at the moment...like I said, I'm optimistic that some of these kids are going to pan out.  And at least there are some kids that feel like they're worthy of real optimism.  I'm just saying that until we see some steps taken forward by some key youth, we can't say that these guys will indeed help this team trend up...not yet.  But man would I sure love to see them do just that.  No one easier to root for than guys in your system who you see grow up and become good to great NHLers right before your very eyes.    

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Make that a million and one.  

To be clear, I'm not knocking where the Devils are at the moment...like I said, I'm optimistic that some of these kids are going to pan out.  And at least there are some kids that feel like they're worthy of real optimism.  I'm just saying that until we see some steps taken forward by some key youth, we can't say that these guys will indeed help this team trend up...not yet.  But man would I sure love to see them do just that.  No one easier to root for than guys in your system who you see grow up and become good to great NHLers right before your very eyes.    

yeahhh but like i mentioned a few days ago that we don't even have like one "NHL STUD" that we just know we can built around, we have a bunch of players with potential of been solid maybe but nothing proven and then someone else posted that... nhlers tiers like MVP ... franchise etc etc... graphic like the next day.. and sure enough... our top player is nico and he's in the lowest tier... you're not going to win many cups that way

There's so much luck going into those. Bunch of guys we could have drafted in the top tiers but we got someone else who didnt pan out as much or wtv. That's the #1 thing and we've been really really unlucky with that. Well... unlucky plus conte was a terrible scout that should have been fired mid 2000s

Edited by SterioDesign

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If you just read this board, you’d think we have no future at all.

I know that everyone has the right to their own opinion, in general, I try not to get personal, always give arguments and build a logical chain, support with facts and examples, use specifics, avoid parallels from other areas of life. But i`m заебался(tired) to read this whining. The organization has a good selection of players of different specialties and talents, some of whom have achieved results at their levels. Only lazy didn't mention Mr. Ketchup's lack of success, but in the absence of hockey for almost a year, there is still whining, as if we should already be in the playoffs this season. Despite the fact that players and  coach will need time to find a game. Despite the fact that only a few young players will be able to prove themselves in the NHL.  Despite the fact that many clubs went through this long stage with rebuilding. A lot of things can be said, but I just think that after so many years of defeats, people have stopped loving their club.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ain't that the truth.  I haven't been paying too much attention to camp, mainly because I've kinda wanted to build up the suspense and excitement leading up to our opening game of the season, but I've been popping in every now and then just to stay somewhat up to date, and it seems everything I read is major doom and gloom.  Granted the lineups I see don't exactly "wow" me, but you're right, I think people are writing us off before we even have the first puck drop. 

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Still better to me than dealing with the entitled crowd raging cause their expectations of being back in the playoffs in less than 5 years of rebuilding from scratch wasnt met

18 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I know that everyone has the right to their own opinion, in general, I try not to get personal, always give arguments and build a logical chain, support with facts and examples, use specifics, avoid parallels from other areas of life. But i`m заебался(tired) to read this whining. The organization has a good selection of players of different specialties and talents, some of whom have achieved results at their levels. Only lazy didn't mention Mr. Ketchup's lack of success, but in the absence of hockey for almost a year, there is still whining, as if we should already be in the playoffs this season. Despite the fact that players and  coach will need time to find a game. Despite the fact that only a few young players will be able to prove themselves in the NHL.  Despite the fact that many clubs went through this long stage with rebuilding. A lot of things can be said, but I just think that after so many years of defeats, people have stopped loving their club.

Wait, who is Mr. Ketchup??

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Still better to me than dealing with the entitled crowd raging cause their expectations of being back in the playoffs in less than 5 years of rebuilding from scratch wasnt met

It goes both ways on this board. Some are doom and gloom, others are so optimistic they fart rainbows and unicorns.  

Personally I find the bigger problem to be people who just want to argue. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It goes both ways on this board. Some are doom and gloom, others are so optimistic they fart rainbows and unicorns.  

Personally I find the bigger problem to be people who just want to argue. 

Yeah like anything meeting in the middle is usually ideal

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ain't that the truth.  I haven't been paying too much attention to camp, mainly because I've kinda wanted to build up the suspense and excitement leading up to our opening game of the season, but I've been popping in every now and then just to stay somewhat up to date, and it seems everything I read is major doom and gloom.  Granted the lineups I see don't exactly "wow" me, but you're right, I think people are writing us off before we even have the first puck drop. 

I eagerly await the Rag slurping and hand-wringing that will occur the minute Lafreniere takes his first shot on goal. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I eagerly await the Rag slurping and hand-wringing that will occur the minute Lafreniere takes his first shot on goal. 

One good thing about Covid, I don’t see Rangers fans. I should have quarantined myself from them since like 1986. 

• Like 1