2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

23 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I think the Predators actually look worse under Hynes than they did after they tuned out Laviolette.  

Poile might be at the end of the line as well.  He’s made a lot of trades that made sense or even looked really good at the time but have since turned really sour.  Weber for Subban, Seth jones for RyJo, fiala for Granlund, anything for Kyle Turris, using money saved by dumping Subban on Duchene, etc.   

What did you expect?!

1 hour ago, aclc79 said:

What did you expect?!

I know this is rhetorical but I would have thought it would have at least been easy to improve on the special teams issues they were having at the end of Lavi’s run.   They just gave up 8 goals on 11 PPs to a Dallas team that was without Seguin and Benn got hurt in the first of the two games.   They also gave up a short handed goal for good measure.   Holy hell.   

hopefully it's not health related for either him or his family.  Very strange timing though so the back story will probably come out sooner or later. Hopefully it's something cool relating him/Sid and the family dog along with some peanut butter.

I kid. No dog should be used in that fashion.

Dunn has been a favorite target over at HF for a while now. I can’t say I know too much about him, but if it would even slightly reduce Subban’s minutes (hopefully Vats will help with that too) then I’m all for it. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

I really hope this is Ruff trying to build up PK’s confidence...there’s no way he can actually believe this...

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-coach-lindy-ruff-joins-nhl-podcast/c-320770292

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I really hope this is Ruff trying to build up PK’s confidence...there’s no way he can actually believe this...

I never would have guessed that PK leads the team on shots. That means with the blocked ones, his shot attempts must be astronomical. 

Even if Ruff is happy with his play, he can't possibly be liking the stupid penalties

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s gotta be what he’s trying to do, because anyone with eyes can see Subban hasn’t played well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

"I'm not worried about the points at all," Ruff said. "I think in order for us to be successful we're going to have to be good defenders and P.K. has really stepped up and been predictable with his play. He has made the first pass that's available. He's made the easy plays. He hasn't put himself in a situation that there's a lot of risk in his game. I think if you want him to put more risk and you want him to get more involved, the defending part we will get hurt on. And I've looked to him to be a really good defender and I think he's defended as well as anyone on the ice when it comes to our back end."

This really sounds like Ruff is trying to say the right thing to encourage PK to stick to the game plan. And to finally get him to focus on defense and not his offence. 

Everything he said in there is PRECISELY what every coaches who coached him wanted him to do but he just wouldn't.

The knock on subban was always that he'd try to be flashy or make fancy plays or carry the puck when he had a simple outlet pass option. He'd constantly put himself in risky situation that could turn into turnovers (and did a lot) Or that his teammates literally couldnt read him cause he'd never stick to the game plan. So the predictable thing is probably about that. All of that did drive his teammates and coaches insane.

And obviously at some point subban was able to put up points early in the season, always. But as the season went on the teams always figured him out and would block his shooting line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If this is true then my evaluation of PK is way off the mark. One might say: what do I know? I say: I have eyes.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This really sounds like Ruff is trying to say the right thing to encourage PK to stick to the game plan. And to finally get him to focus on defense and not his offence. 

Everything he said in there is PRECISELY what every coaches who coached him wanted him to do but he just wouldn't.

The knock on subban was always that he'd try to be flashy or make fancy plays or carry the puck when he had a simple outlet pass option. He'd constantly put himself in risky situation that could turn into turnovers (and did a lot) Or that his teammates literally couldnt read him cause he'd never stick to the game plan. So the predictable thing is probably about that. All of that did drive his teammates and coaches insane.

And obviously at some point subban was able to put up points early in the season, always. But as the season went on the teams always figured him out and would block his shooting line.

The bolded makes a ton of sense...truly.  Looks like Ruff realizes that PK trying to be PK is going to be a disaster from here on out (and if Smith can continue to provide offense, then it's not necessary for PK to try to force something that's no longer there), and Ruff is putting it on himself to prevent PK from trying to be the player that he was (and if PK is left to his own devices, yeah, he'll probably just continue do what he does, at the cost of everyone else). 

So Ruff is going to strongly encourage PK to re-invent his game, even willing to give PK a lot of praise that he clearly hasn't earned yet (and even willing to look a little clueless initially, if taken strictly at his word).  

The guess here is if PK is simply unable to become a different kind of defenseman within a certain period of time, or simply not making enough progress...Ruff will eventually lose patience and try to figure out (with Fitz) what can be done.  But that's a ways off.  For now it's back-patting and encouragement...and I understand that.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded makes a ton of sense...truly.  Looks like Ruff realizes that PK trying to be PK is going to be a disaster from here on out (and if Smith can continue to provide offense, then it's not necessary for PK to try to force something that's no longer there), and Ruff is putting it on himself to prevent PK from trying to be the player that he was (and if PK is left to his own devices, yeah, he'll probably just continue do what he does, at the cost of everyone else). 

So Ruff is going to strongly encourage PK to re-invent his game, even willing to give PK a lot of praise that he clearly hasn't earned yet (and even willing to look a little clueless initially, if taken strictly at his word).  

The guess here is if PK is simply unable to become a different kind of defenseman within a certain period of time, or simply not making enough progress...Ruff will eventually lose patience and try to figure out (with Fitz) what can be done.  But that's a ways off.  For now it's back-patting and encouragement...and I understand that.  

This does make a lot of sense. Most of what PK does seems to be from trying too hard to dominate a game instead of playing it. He looks like he desperately wants to make a big impact and turns into a bull in a china shop. Unnecessary risky passes, poorly timed shots, bad penalties, etc. 

I can say this... If Ruff can manage to get PK to buy in and settle down his game, he will have put this team in a great position going forward

• Like 2

PK is way less flashy than he used to be and less reckless on his first pass.  his offensive game is struggling and its hurting his plus minus a bit .. But he's still decent fighting behind our net and staying with elite skaters.. So we have a very expensive defensive D-man..  tbh, if a puck is dumped in deep and heavily forechecked, he's probably the devil I want getting there. Now that green is gone

its only next year