2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I didn't see it posted but this Galchenyuk thing today is funny. Traded from Ottawa to Carolina who then flipped him to Toronto a few hours later. Lucky for him Ottawa was already playing Toronto 

Talk about a guy that can’t seem to keep a job...what’s that, his 5th and 6th teams now?

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Talk about a guy that can’t seem to keep a job...what’s that, his 5th and 6th teams now?

I think 7 if you count the 2 hours with Carolina today. 

Buffalo, Arizona, Minnesota, Montreal, Ottawa , Carolina sort of, Toronto? I may have missed one. He's going for the Sillinger record

I hated that they gave the Conn Smythe to Giguere. Always have. He was great, but so was Marty. And that ended up being the one thing missing from his trophy case when all was said and done. If you put up 7 shutouts and win the Cup it should be enough to edge out the other guy. 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I hated that they gave the Conn Smythe to Giguere. Always have. He was great, but so was Marty. And that ended up being the one thing missing from his trophy case when all was said and done. If you put up 7 shutouts and win the Cup it should be enough to edge out the other guy. 

Wasnt Brodeur dealing with his divorce at the same time too? I also remember hearing rumours that his ex was trying to fvck with him right before games and all

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think 7 if you count the 2 hours with Carolina today. 

Buffalo, Arizona, Minnesota, Montreal, Ottawa , Carolina sort of, Toronto? I may have missed one. He's going for the Sillinger record

I don't think he ever was on Buffalo, but otherwise you nailed the teams.

Lee Stempniak is looking in his rear-view mirror at his "most teams" record, too

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The pure Devils fan in me hates it, sure.  But I still come to the same conclusion when I weigh all of the evidence...Marty was great, but played for a better team, with teammates arguably worthy of the Conn Smythe as well (Langs and Nieds, for starters)...like I said in a previous post, Devils really played so well as a team that year, getting contributions throughout.  JSG was near-perfect in getting his team to the SCF (his team went 12-2 through three rounds, with a goal differential of just +12 over those games).  He put up a GAA of 1.22 and a save% of .960 through the Conference Finals...and his team NEEDED him to be that good...10 of the 12 wins to that point came by a single goal (5 of those came in OT).  In some ways, what he did that year wasn't too far off from what Roy did in 1993 (minus winning the whole shebang of course)...he really carried a team that wasn't that great all the way to Game 7 of the SCF...he finally ran out of steam at the end, but at some point, a guy who played as well as he did through three rounds needs his teammates to pick him up a little...they simply couldn't.  

It's not that I can't see the case to be made for Marty...yeah, his team won, and it's not like he didn't play an important role in his team winning...and in Game 7, he shut the door...if he had won, the hockey forensic analyst in me never would've said "Oh screw that, JSG should've won!"  My point is more that JSG winning wasn't some horrible travesty...there is a fair case to made for him winning, especially when ALL of the playoffs are factored in.  In the end, I think they got it right (even if I hate that Marty never won a Conn Smythe as much as every other Devils fan does), even if it was by the slimmest of margins...for me, it really feels like one that could've gone either way.       

Golden Knights wearing their golden helmets again (they’re on the NHL Network right now).  Still don’t know what to make of that look.  Still think a matte finish would be an improvement.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:38 PM, mfitz804 said:

I mean I'm sure there's more to it than simply his draft position, but it goes to show you what being a highly-touted prospect can do for you.

Teams still hoping he'll figure it out.  

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Golden Knights wearing their golden helmets again (they’re on the NHL Network right now).  Still don’t know what to make of that look.  Still think a matte finish would be an improvement.

I honestly thought they looked ridiculous at first, but they grew on me over the course of the game.  I don't... hate them.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean I'm sure there's more to it than simply his draft position, but it goes to show you what being a highly-touted prospect can do for you.

Teams still hoping he'll figure it out.  

I honestly thought they looked ridiculous at first, but they grew on me over the course of the game.  I don't... hate them.

Yeah I kinda feel the same way...they're less and less jarring, the more that you see them on ice.  I just think they're TOO shiny.  

Also makes me think of this:

See the source image

• Haha 2

Lafreniere and Kakko held without a point yet again tonight.

DBA’s Predators shut out 3-0 tonight.  Like his seat wasn’t warm enough.  Yeah 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lafreniere and Kakko held without a point yet again tonight.

DBA’s Predators shut out 3-0 tonight.  Like his seat wasn’t warm enough.  Yeah 

I took BJs puck line tonight.  Nashville is a wreck and that is making me bank.  Ahh hold on, John Hynes is calling me.

Make It Rain Money GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The pure Devils fan in me hates it, sure.  But I still come to the same conclusion when I weigh all of the evidence...Marty was great, but played for a better team, with teammates arguably worthy of the Conn Smythe as well (Langs and Nieds, for starters)...like I said in a previous post, Devils really played so well as a team that year, getting contributions throughout.  JSG was near-perfect in getting his team to the SCF (his team went 12-2 through three rounds, with a goal differential of just +12 over those games).  He put up a GAA of 1.22 and a save% of .960 through the Conference Finals...and his team NEEDED him to be that good...10 of the 12 wins to that point came by a single goal (5 of those came in OT).  In some ways, what he did that year wasn't too far off from what Roy did in 1993 (minus winning the whole shebang of course)...he really carried a team that wasn't that great all the way to Game 7 of the SCF...he finally ran out of steam at the end, but at some point, a guy who played as well as he did through three rounds needs his teammates to pick him up a little...they simply couldn't.  

It's not that I can't see the case to be made for Marty...yeah, his team won, and it's not like he didn't play an important role in his team winning...and in Game 7, he shut the door...if he had won, the hockey forensic analyst in me never would've said "Oh screw that, JSG should've won!"  My point is more that JSG winning wasn't some horrible travesty...there is a fair case to made for him winning, especially when ALL of the playoffs are factored in.  In the end, I think they got it right (even if I hate that Marty never won a Conn Smythe as much as every other Devils fan does), even if it was by the slimmest of margins...for me, it really feels like one that could've gone either way.       

I agree with you but I booed loudly anyway.