2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Sounds like a guaranteed future Ranger. 

43 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Outstanding Hall. cheers

It’s being in Toronto when you can’t be in Toronto because they can’t afford you under the cap. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sounds like a guaranteed future Ranger. 

It’s being in Toronto when you can’t be in Toronto because they can’t afford you under the cap. 

I don't think us NJ fans are able to talk sh!t about winning given our record the last decade or so, but I think it is safe to say, if this is true, that Hall has given up on that whole "I just want to win" thing.

Buffalo has a cancerous ownership that seems to be the root of their issues. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think us NJ fans are able to talk sh!t about winning given our record the last decade or so, but I think it is safe to say, if this is true, that Hall has given up on that whole "I just want to win" thing.

Especially when you pair it with the fact that they may be losing Eichel, I would say that is a fair assessment. 

39 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Outstanding Hall. cheers

If Buffalo's willing to extend him, he'd be a fool not to listen.  Since the start of last season, he's scored 17 G and notched 44 A in 78 GP, and is a -24 to boot...the low goal total is due in part to bad puck luck (6.4 shooting%), and +/- can be misleading (crappy goaltending can kill that stat), but not like those numbers scream for a big extension.  Both the Devils and Cotoyes played better without him last season...and in the early going, his presence doesn't seem to be moving the needle for the Sabres either.  He's not exactly building a killer resume of recent results to hit the UFA market with, and it's not like he isn't injury-prone either.

What will be interesting to see is if the Sabres still pay him with 2017-18 factoring in more than it should.  Because it's becoming more and more blatantly clear that as great and fun and memorable as that year was, and as special as it was to see a NJ Devils win the Hart...that season was most definitely an outlier.  He'll never have another season close to that one again.      

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Buffalo has a cancerous ownership that seems to be the root of their issues. 

I just posted that he'd be a fool not to listen to a multi-year offer from Buffalo...but at the same time, I'd gotta think he'd want some reassurance that Eichel is planning on sticking around.  As the SI article correctly pointed out, a lot of times the returns don't turn out to be any sure thing.  

Not that I think this could EVER happen (I think the Devils have moved on), but as far as as a team with a future goes, I wonder if a part of him sees the current Devils (who now actually have a goaltender and a legit coach, not to mention some young pieces) and wonders just a little...especially if Eichel wants out.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just posted that he'd be a fool not to listen to a multi-year offer from Buffalo...but at the same time, I'd gotta think he'd want some reassurance that Eichel is planning on sticking around.  As the SI article correctly pointed out, a lot of times the returns don't turn out to be any sure thing.  

Not that I think this could EVER happen (I think the Devils have moved on), but as far as as a team with a future goes, I wonder if a part of him sees the current Devils (who now actually have a goaltender and a legit coach, not to mention some young pieces) and wonders just a little...especially if Eichel wants out.

I'd take him back sure, but I'm not breaking the bank to get him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Maybe he does, but I imagine you can't do that too much or it would really affect your mental health. You gotta live in the now, not in the was opportunities and I am sure that is prob where his head is at.

I would imagine the first person on the chopping block up there is Kreuger, but I am not sure who they get to replace him. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

imo, young parts we can't afford too or shouldn't even consider giving up.  

Devils' future at C seemed pretty damned good at the moment.  I'll take my chances with Hughes and Nico, Zacha hopefully settling in as a 3C who can provide a little offense from that position, and McLeod who can do the same as a 4C.  All young too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Maybe he does, but I imagine you can't do that too much or it would really affect your mental health. You gotta live in the now, not in the was opportunities and I am sure that is prob where his head is at.

I would imagine the first person on the chopping block up there is Kreuger, but I am not sure who they get to replace him. 

I think as long as Eichel is committed, he's absolutely fine with taking his chances staying in Buffalo.  Can't see why he'd want to stay if Eichel doesn't though.  

4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'd take him back sure, but I'm not breaking the bank to get him. 

I would too (on a short-term deal), but I think everyone involved has moved on.  

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sounds like a guaranteed future Ranger

Oh you can write it down. Eichel will tell Buffalo I oNLy WAnt tO bE TraDEd tO THe RAngERs, BRighT LIghTS BRah; Eichel to the Rags for Colin Greenwell, Kevin Rooney, an autographed Brian Leetch puck, two tickets to Hamilton, and Brendan Smith.

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Three years at $7m per, do you bring Hall back?

I’d prefer 2 years @ $8 million per, but yeah, I’d probably bring him back for 3 years at that cost.  He’s played well with Nico, and you’d be buying his Age 30, 31, and 32 seasons at a not-crazy cap hit.  PK’s money would come off after next season too, so not like the Devils would be loaded with bad contracts.

Of course, I’d put the chances of a reunion of ever happening at less than a fraction of a fraction of 1%.  

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’d prefer 2 years @ $8 million per, but yeah, I’d probably bring him back for 3 years at that cost.  He’s played well with Nico, and you’d be buying his Age 30, 31, and 32 seasons at a not-crazy cap hit.  PK’s money would come off after next season too, so not like the Devils would be loaded with bad contracts.

Of course, I’d put the chances of a reunion of ever happening at less than a fraction of a fraction of 1%.  

Oh, clearly. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh you can write it down. Eichel will tell Buffalo I oNLy WAnt tO bE TraDEd tO THe RAngERs, BRighT LIghTS BRah; Eichel to the Rags for Colin Greenwell, Kevin Rooney, an autographed Brian Leetch puck, two tickets to Hamilton, and Brendan Smith.

I know you guys are (partly) kidding, but I'm not sure the Rags would be automatic.  I wish I could remember the player (it may have even been Eichel), but the idea was that the Rags would have to give up K Miller or Fox, plus Kakko or Lafrenier, and some other goodies.  And then they'd have to pay him and I don't think they have a lot of cap room.  Hopefully if he gets traded it's out west  I also remember reading that LA has the kind of pieces to make a deal work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

So, Nico Hischier is my favorite Devil. He's probably all of your favorite Devils. He's a certified fvcking stud, and he's so young and so talented.

But.

Let's say Buffalo says; "Eichel and Skinner (for salary reasons) for Hischier, Foote, and a lottery-protected first-round pick". Do you go for it? 

I don’t think so. I’d rather hold on to Nico.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So, Nico Hischier is my favorite Devil. He's probably all of your favorite Devils. He's a certified fvcking stud, and he's so young and so talented.

But.

Let's say Buffalo says; "Eichel and Skinner (for salary reasons) for Hischier, Foote, and a lottery-protected first-round pick". Do you go for it? 

I hate you for asking this. 

42 minutes ago, MB3 said:

But.

Probably not. That Skinner contract is fvcking awful (6 more years at 9m per). I want them to have plenty of money to pay Hughes (who hopefully will demand superstar money in a couple years). Plus, I don’t think we’ve even seen Nico scratch the surface yet on how good he can be. Especially under Ruff now. 

Just now, MB3 said:

Haha I don’t think it’s a crazy trade, man. 

Skinner contract is brutal but the Devils have the space and there’s very likely another compliance buyout with the expansion. 

I love Nico, but it seems unlikely (though definitely not impossible) to me that he’ll ever turn into the type of player Jack Eichel is. Eichel is one of the best centers in the NHL, capable of carrying an offense on his back, full-stop. Eichel-Hughes down the middle for the next several years has the potential of touching Crosby/Malkin levels of insanity. 

No, it’s not crazy. I don’t like taking $9m X 6 years, but then again Skinner is not that far removed from a 40 goal season, and he’s not that old. 

Nico may end up being great, but we already know Eichel is great. And he is locked up through 2026. But, that may be all you get of him if he doesn’t re-sign. 

I think Nico is a great player and will be for years, but it’s worth thinking about. 

12 hours ago, MB3 said:

But.

Pass, not saying Eichel isn't a great player, don't even have an issue with saying he's better than Nico but there's just something I don't particularly like about the guy. Seems like he's not worth the headache, especially when it doesn't get his way.