2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Habs fired Julien. 

Classic case of players playing like sh!t and the coach pays for it. Price hasn’t been good enough these last few weeks, like, at all, and the big guns for Montreal are simply not showing up. 

Edited by Devs3cups

13 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Classic case of players playing like sh!t and the coach pays for it. Price hasn’t been good enough these last few weeks, like, at all, and the big guns for Montreal are simply not showing up. 

I'm not going to pretend that I'm closely following the Canadiens, but the team got off to a 7-1-2 start...they did only win 2 out of their last 8 (2-4-2), but not like their overall record was so terrible to date (9-5-4).  And yeah, not like Price is having a great season (.893 save%).  Strictly from an outsider's perspective, this feels a bit abrupt.  

Typically the Habs overachieved early in the season. Everyone got excited. 2 games into the season some were calling for  Ramanov for the calder, Petry for the norris and they had Suzuki pinned on the olympic roster lol. Lately they came back to earth getting results their team should be getting and now they feel like they have to put the blame on someone.

It's very very typical lol 

33 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

If we're honest Price hasn't been good in quite awhile. Yet everyone seems to think he's still the best goalie in the world when nothing other than reputation is supporting that. He WAS the best goalie in the league for a season or 2 but goalies are incredibly inconsistent and he's no different. He really hasnt been one of the best in the league in like 3-4 years now. And especially now, MTL paying him over 10m a season and their backup (who's having a great season) over 4m. So they basically have 15m tied up in goalies... so every game they have either 4m or 10.5m sitting on the bench not contributing. That's not great for your depth.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

I'm sad that Julien was fired, I was enjoying the same results every year for Montreal.  He's actually a really bad coach right now, gets nothing extra out of his players.

Michel Therrien was a way better coach who somehow got a terrible roster into the playoffs every year and competing.

Just listening to Tony Marinaro on TSN radio right now, his temper tantrums over the Canadiens are must listen radio.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If we're honest Price hasn't been good in quite awhile. Yet everyone seems to think he's still the best goalie in the world when nothing other than reputation is supporting that. He WAS the best goalie in the league for a season or 2 but goalies are incredibly inconsistent and he's no different. He really hasnt been one of the best in the league in like 3-4 years now. And especially now, MTL paying him over 10m a season and their backup (who's having a great season) over 4m. So they basically have 15m tied up in goalies... so every game they have either 4m or 10.5m sitting on the bench not contributing. That's not great for your depth.

He was a beast from 2013-14 through 2016-17 (Age 26-29 seasons, .928 save%, and a Vezina...he did miss a huge part of the 2015-16 season).  He's been much more ordinary for much of the past three seasons (.910 overall coming into this year) and is at .893 this year.  He's at .906 over his last 69 games (dating back to the start of last season), and is now 33 years old.  Simply looks like he's past his prime, but being paid like he's still firmly in it.  

And holy sh!t I had no idea how bad his contract was...signed through 2025-26 (?!) at a $10.5 million cap hit, for his Age 31-38 seasons.  Some GMs are just incapable of restraining themselves...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not going to pretend that I'm closely following the Canadiens, but the team got off to a 7-1-2 start...they did only win 2 out of their last 8 (2-4-2), but not like their overall record was so terrible to date (9-5-4).  And yeah, not like Price is having a great season (.893 save%).  Strictly from an outsider's perspective, this feels a bit abrupt.  

Familiar script for that coach though lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was a beast from 2013-14 through 2016-17 (Age 26-29 seasons, .928 save%, and a Vezina...he did miss a huge part of the 2015-16 season).  He's been much more ordinary for much of the past three seasons (.910 overall coming into this year) and is at .893 this year.  He's at .906 over his last 69 games (dating back to the start of last season), and is now 33 years old.  Simply looks like he's past his prime, but being paid like he's still firmly in it.  

And holy sh!t I had no idea how bad his contract was...signed through 2025-26 (?!) at a $10.5 million cap hit, for his Age 31-38 seasons.  Some GMs are just incapable of restraining themselves...

Yeah that's the thing with price and canadian media.

They've been saying Price was the best goalie in the league from the moment he made it to the NHL. No matter what kind of performances he'd put up. They'd twist it and make excuses to justify he was the best in the league. He even lost his starter role in the playoffs to Halak that year they went far and he was posting terrible numbers in the playoffs.

Eventually he actually was the best goalie in the league so they all went "SEE! WE TOLD YOU HE WAS!!!" but again like most goalies, not very consistent and other goalies were just better but they still stick that he has to be the best in the world. All the justifications i heard is just amazing and so full of double standards, hypocrisy lol All they have to go by is that the players voted him the best in the league. But that's such a flawed way to look at it. Most of those players play goalies in the league maybe once or twice in a season. How the fvck do they know who's the best that season? lol They just vote based on reputation more than anything.

I mean, my fav player of all time is Brodeur and i don't even try to push that he was the best ever even if i do have all the stats to support that claim. IMO it depends on how you define best ever. And any one of Marty, Roy or Hasek could be it depending on what you value most. 

So the Rags #1OA man child continues to struggle. Still just the 2 goals through 17 GP. How the hell has he not at least picked up a couple secondary assists by now?

I remember a stretch a few years ago where Zacha literally couldn’t buy an assist, but this is just unreal. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So the Rags #1OA man child continues to struggle. Still just the 2 goals through 17 GP. How the hell has he not at least picked up a couple secondary assists by now?

I remember a stretch a few years ago where Zacha literally couldn’t buy an assist, but this is just unreal. 

2A48D9BC-CDAC-4F36-B984-86B321FD9B23.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And his #3 counterpart has 5G, 5A. 

And Kakko with 2g, 1A. 

That all sounds good to me. 

• Like 2