2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lafrendouche just got his first assist. Rosen and Michelleti may both need to go to the hospital. 

1,800 people in attendance. The number of actual Rangers fans at a game at MSG if you take out all of the corporate ticket holders. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd be shocked if a code of conduct clause of some nature aren't in professional athletes contract. Most of all us normal working smucks have them.

These are all private leagues, they can have contracts be signed that if you're found guilty of *whatever* you can never play again no?

It really shouldn't be a hard thing to implement but overall the owners really don't care about this stuff because it's basically become the norm and it will blow over pr wise in a short time. 

Contracts are between the team and the player. Absolutely nothing in the contract would prevent a player from playing for the other 30+ teams. 

BUT it’s at the discretion of the team. If a sh!tty guy does it, no problem, his team terminates his contract and nobody else dares sign him. 

Now pretend it’s McDavid. What happens then? Would the Oilers terminate his deal? That’s be unlikely. If they did, would 30+ other teams say  “ok, we’re not going to sign him”? I guess it depends on what happened. If he killed an entire family and ate their brains, maybe. If he smacked his wife/girlfriend? He would have teams falling all over themselves to see who could pay him $15m per the fastest, basking in their good fortune that the Oilers were so stupid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, point said:

I whacked my sister on the back of her head  with a hammer when I was like 3yo and she was 4. I could never explain why I did it, but I still remember doing it. And, I guess I caught hell for it. My sister took it pretty well. She graduated college  Phi Beta Kappa, and still talks to me!

But these days, you have situations like Roethlisberger's antics, Ray Rice's incident, and Kobe Bryant"s charges all putting athletes' actions in the spotlight. It all puts Wilbur Mills and Fanny Fox dip in the DC Tidal Pool in perspective. (Look it up.)

These are all adults, and should be judged as adults. The problem is establishing exactly happened. In Panarin's case, there does not seem to be much credible evidence, beyond a Putin goon.

I mean. Context does matter.

When i was 14, i got a phone call that one of my really good friend killed himself. I was obviously a mess that evening. And literally an hour after i heard the news, i got into a very very dumb brother/sister argument/fight with my 19 years old sister and she literally went "you're so fvcking dumb, no wonder your friends are shooting themselves in the head". 

Well, I do consider myself a good person and im far from a violent person, but I punched a female in the face that day. I wouldn't say that i'm proud or it, but i certainly don't regret it based on context. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Awful, horrible, sad news.

I really don't disagree about the comments. Setting up a go fund me to ask money from regular people when you have made almost $50 million in your career is definitely an interesting way to go. What's the point of all that money if you can't take care of your closest ones with it? Maybe it's a dick thing to say but if I actually had that much money I certainly wouldn't be asking for others to help out financially. When you have $50 million, do you really even miss a million if you now only have $49 million? Meh. 

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Awful, horrible, sad news.

I really don't disagree about the comments. Setting up a go fund me to ask money from regular people when you have made almost $50 million in your career is definitely an interesting way to go. What's the point of all that money if you can't take care of your closest ones with it? Maybe it's a dick thing to say but if I actually had that much money I certainly wouldn't be asking for others to help out financially. When you have $50 million, do you really even miss a million if you now only have $49 million? Meh. 

I really didn’t know how to say it, but a multi-millionaire setting up a GoFundMe to raise $150k for his family member is unusual to say the least. I mean, he’s not even asking for a million, it’s $150,000. 

Granted, they probably need a lot more than $150k and Cory may well be giving them a ton of money already, but if so, why ask for an extra $150k?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I really didn’t know how to say it, but a multi-millionaire setting up a GoFundMe to raise $150k for his family member is unusual to say the least. I mean, he’s not even asking for a million, it’s $150,000. 

Granted, they probably need a lot more than $150k and Cory may well be giving them a ton of money already, but if so, why ask for an extra $150k?

Exactly it's weird. Some are questioning whether or not Cory actually setup this go fund me himself and while i was browsing I saw the family apparently already had a go fund me previously setup to build an addition for more space. 

https://wgme.com/news/local/investigation-focuses-on-electrical-panel-new-dryer-in-deadly-camden-fire

"Four days before the fire, Connors set up a GoFundMe page, asking for donations for the addition they were building.

Now, hundreds of Mainers have given tens of thousands of dollars to that fund, to help the family recover from this tragedy "

https://www.gofundme.com/f/kemxek-building-fundraiser?qid=3c26ac781be37e1929089f4cf8ff73c5

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe it's more of a psychological thing than monetary. When horrible things like this happen, usually a lot of people just want to support and do what they can, i assume it can mean a lot to the victims to see people supporting them through hard times so he set up a platform for that

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe the family doesn't want the money from Cory.  I have refused lots of financial assistance in my time.  Call it independence, pride, whatever.  Some folks have difficulty accepting money.  

3 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Maybe the family doesn't want the money from Cory.  I have refused lots of financial assistance in my time.  Call it independence, pride, whatever.  Some folks have difficulty accepting money.  

But they’ll accept it through a GoFundMe started by Cory?

Just now, mfitz804 said:

But they’ll accept it through a GoFundMe started by Cory?

Who knows if Cory really started it?  Someone could have put his name on the request. I don't know. Does anybody?  I believe folks sometimes read more into stuff than is really there. That is all I have to say on the matter. :)

1 minute ago, StarDew said:

Who knows if Cory really started it?  Someone could have put his name on the request. I don't know. Does anybody?  I believe folks sometimes read more into stuff than is really there. That is all I have to say on the matter. :)

Suppose it’s possible, maybe someone put his name tj try to trade on his fame. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Just saw a rumor (apparently from an Athletic article) about Eichel possibly heading to the Rags... 

it never ends with that goddamn team. Watch them somehow get it done without moving Laf, Kakko, or Fox. 

Personally I'd love for this to happen just to get all their hopes up again and then it turns out that Eichel was really the problem all along and then Buffalo makes the playoffs 7 years in a row while the Rangers miss them 7 years in a row lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Personally I'd love for this to happen just to get all their hopes up again and then it turns out that Eichel was really the problem all along and then Buffalo makes the playoffs 7 years in a row while the Rangers miss them 7 years in a row lol

Eichel and Panarin on the same team would not be good for us...

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Just saw a rumor (apparently from an Athletic article) about Eichel possibly heading to the Rags... 

it never ends with that goddamn team. Watch them somehow get it done without moving Laf, Kakko, or Fox. 

Of course. Eichel for Colin Greenwell, Libor Hajek, a box of cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery, and a used Metrocard. You know this.

Edited by MadDog2020

Speaking of Buffalo...no goals for Hall in his last 18 GP...his team was just shut out twice in a row, at the hands of the Flyers.  Just 6 points in his last 16.  Since the start of last season, he's managed just 17 goals in 84 GP (shooting 6% for this stretch).  He scored 39 in 76 GP during his MVP season.  

Not sure if he's simply not that good anymore/starting to decline a little early, or just phenomenally unlucky in finishing his opportunities.  What's notable about this is that this was my issue with Hall outside of his MVP year...he generates his fair share of "loud" chances, but often doesn't finish them (take out the MVP year, and he's managed 48 goals in the other 189 GP (about 21 G per 82 GP)...and never shot over 9.7% in any of those seasons).  This year has seen that tendency blow up more than ever.  Elias suffered through a brutal 4-goals-in-42-GP stretch at one point in his career and did pull his way out of it eventually, so maybe Hall can too I guess.  

Wondering how bullish Buffalo still is, when it comes to their desire to sign him long-term.  

• Like 1

Have to agree with the advice, why the fvck would you not wear a helmet in warmups when pucks are literally flying around from everywhere??

The worst I ever got hurt playing hockey was in warmups. Slap shot to the back of the knee where there is zero padding. 

Limped for two weeks after, but didn’t miss a shift in that game or any of the subsequent ones. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree with the advice, why the fvck would you not wear a helmet in warmups when pucks are literally flying around from everywhere??

The worst I ever got hurt playing hockey was in warmups. Slap shot to the back of the knee where there is zero padding. 

Limped for two weeks after, but didn’t miss a shift in that game or any of the subsequent ones. 

I'm surprised that the gms haven't asked to make it mandatory, it's a simple thing to do to protect an investment.