2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

33 games is a pretty big sample size in terms of whether a guy is having bad luck or if he is just blowing goats. 

Still getting his shots though...somehow shooting 1.2% over these 33 GP.  That’s damned near unheard of for a guy like Hall.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Still getting his shots though...somehow shooting 1.2% over these 33 GP.  That’s damned near unheard of for a guy like Hall.  

Like I say incessantly, shots don’t win games. The right shots in the right places do. He is not doing that. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Like I say incessantly, shots don’t win games. The right shots in the right places do. He is not doing that. 

You don’t know that, re:  his shots.   You aren’t watching all of his games.  Neither am I, which is why I am curious about the quality of his chances (and why I mentioned that I wouldn’t mind seeing them, to see if he’s really that snakebit).  The numbers are so bizarre and so unlike him that I’m curious as to how they could have dropped off THAT much.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You don’t know that, re:  his shots.   You aren’t watching all of his games.  Neither am I, which is why I am curious about the quality of his chances (and why I mentioned that I wouldn’t mind seeing them, to see if he’s really that snakebit).  The numbers are so bizarre and so unlike him that I’m curious as to how they could have dropped off THAT much.  

I do know that, because the right shots in the right place are the ones that get in the net. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I do know that, because the right shots in the right place are the ones that get in the net. 

Way too simplistic.  You know that goalies give up questionable goals and softies on occasion.  You also know that players get great chances and sometimes get flat-out robbed.  And then there’s deflections.  It’s not all about perfect shots.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Way too simplistic.  You know that goalies give up questionable goals and softies on occasion.  You also know that players get great chances and sometimes get flat-out robbed.  And then there’s deflections.  It’s not all about perfect shots.  

Ok, maybe he is having another MVP caliber season and it’s all bad luck that they aren’t going in. 

“Getting shots” and doing nothing with them over the course of 30+ games isn’t bad luck. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok, maybe he is having another MVP caliber season and it’s all bad luck that they aren’t going in. 

“Getting shots” and doing nothing with them over the course of 30+ games isn’t bad luck. 

C’mon man, that is not what I am saying at all.  I’m saying a guy like Hall to shoot 1.2% over a 33-game sample is highly unusual, and yeah, I’m curious as to what might be behind that kind of futility.  Luck is probably one of the factors.  I find it hard to believe it’s all due to Hall just not shooting well enough (though I’ve gotta think he’s failed to convert some prime chances as well).  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C’mon man, that is not what I am saying at all.  I’m saying a guy like Hall to shoot 1.2% over a 33-game sample is highly unusual, and yeah, I’m curious as to what might be behind that kind of futility.  Luck is probably one of the factors.  I find it hard to believe it’s all due to Hall just not shooting well enough (though I’ve gotta think he’s failed to convert some prime chances as well).  

It’s a valid question, it would be pretty weird for a guy to just phone it in while on a 1 year deal. Honestly I don’t see him getting his big deal that everyone thought he’d get. At this point I think he could get a 5 year deal but not for a lot of AAV. Someone will think it’s worth taking a chance on locking him in and him bouncing back if the AAV is low enough. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s a valid question, it would be pretty weird for a guy to just phone it in while on a 1 year deal. Honestly I don’t see him getting his big deal that everyone thought he’d get. At this point I think he could get a 5 year deal but not for a lot of AAV. Someone will think it’s worth taking a chance on locking him in and him bouncing back if the AAV is low enough. 

Agree, I think whatever chance he had to snag a high-priced long-term deal is gone.  I can see another bet-on-himself one-year deal, even though that went horribly wrong for him this year.  Of course, if (probably when) he gets dealt, if the dam suddenly breaks, then yeah, maybe he gets some term.  

Something that is frustrating me but I full on know it’s a product of timing, is how the NHL is pushing the schedule for the Canadian teams but when Dal, NJ and that AHL team in western NY all got COVID, our games were compressed to force the schedule to work as planned. Now with the Habs/Oilers/Nucks all getting Rona issues, the season is getting extended.

Again, I know it’s just the timing of when the Rona jumped the border (I’m kidding about that), but still bitter we have 4 game weeks pretty consistently and McJesus doesn’t, yet.

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Something that is frustrating me but I full on know it’s a product of timing, is how the NHL is pushing the schedule for the Canadian teams but when Dal, NJ and that AHL team in western NY all got COVID, our games were compressed to force the schedule to work as planned. Now with the Habs/Oilers/Nucks all getting Rona issues, the season is getting extended.

Again, I know it’s just the timing of when the Rona jumped the border (I’m kidding about that), but still bitter we have 4 game weeks pretty consistently and McJesus doesn’t, yet.

If this season really mattered, I would be right there with you. But I don’t think more time off would have dramatically improved our outcome this year. 

I’m still looking at this year as, get past it and start fresh in October. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If this season really mattered, I would be right there with you. But I don’t think more time off would have dramatically improved our outcome this year. 

I’m still looking at this year as, get past it and start fresh in October. 

The only real downside is we don’t get a true look at how some of the young guys would handle a normal flow of games. They get the firehose for their first or second seasons.

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The only real downside is we don’t get a true look at how some of the young guys would handle a normal flow of games. They get the firehose for their first or second seasons.

That’s a fair point, but I also don’t think that was really happening even without our COVID break. The schedule was still shortened and condensed, just not as condensed. You still wouldn’t have had a “normal” flow of games. 

I’m not saying it wouldn’t have been better, it would have. But it still wouldn’t have been good, if that makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Buffalo beats the Rangers in OT and has points in their last 3. 

Good for them. They beat our two most hated rivals back to back, so gotta give Buffalo a tip of the cap.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

God, facebook ads are hilarious today. 

$20 gets you a fake Mickey Mantle 8x10 autograph that Bobby Hull then allegedly crossed out and signed his own autograph on. 

Screenshot_20210411-204425_Chrome.jpg

Well obviously, everyone knows Bobby Hull is the most world renowned expert on Mickey Mantle signatures...so who wouldn’t want a Bobby Hull signed Mickey Mantle picture??