2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What fun would that be? I’d rather see Buffalo win 12-2.

And Taylor doesn’t figure into the two goals either. Both goals, primary assists, and secondary assists are by guys named Rasmus. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

So JT Miller of the Nucks does an interview, says he doesn’t think the team is healthy enough to resume their schedule on Friday. The league and NHLPA are now looking into options.

Said it a few weeks ago but man, I wonder if someone had done the same for Jersey/Dallas/Buffalo, would our schedules have been so tightly packed... 

If they kick their schedule down the road another week, I don’t see how they aren’t forced to revert to points percentage for a team like that cause they couldn’t realistically get their games in.

my proposal: freeze their position now, and if they resume games, they are locked 1 spot ahead of us, regardless of where we finish. Totally not ensuring we get the first shot of Luke or anything....

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Hall has 2 goals on 3 games with the Bruins, should anyone be interested in what that big lip motherfvcker is up to. 

Not surprised, in that just like some players put up unsustainably good numbers, Hall was getting too many shots and chances to finish the season with two goals.  Now we’ll see if he can actually get on some kind of roll, because it’s been quite a while since he’s been on one.

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Guess I’ll save money on jerseys going forward...

Likely they will still be sold without advertising at retail? I don’t know if they’ll be sold all decked out or not. 

Which then puts the jersey purists to the task of finding the correct patches, which is a whole other thing. 

There is also a huge, HUGE difference between Euro stuff and a small sponsor patch, like they wear on the practice jerseys. Still not great, but it wouldn’t make me swear off jerseys. 

47625491922_c844583c87_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804

18 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Get ready. 

Knew it was coming soon as they approved the helmet logos, it sucks but it's not the least bit surprising. Those poor billionaire owners, what would they ever do without some extra corporate sponsorship money?

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Likely they will still be sold without advertising at retail? I don’t know if they’ll be sold all decked out or not. 

Which then puts the jersey purists to the task of finding the correct patches, which is a whole other thing. 

There is also a huge, HUGE difference between Euro stuff and a small sponsor patch, like they wear on the practice jerseys. Still not great, but it wouldn’t make me swear off jerseys. 

47625491922_c844583c87_b.jpg

Agree, I think they will start off small like the NBA. To test the water. 

I doubt the NHL will ever go down the Euro route. There is so little money in European Hockey that they need everything they can get.  One primary sponsor is not going to pay the cumulative value of all the smaller sponsors. 

I am used to it with Football (soccer) although Chelsea recently released a retro Cup special Jersey where the primary sponsor was blended into the kit, and it sold more than any others. So shows there is a preference. 

Screenshot_20210418-181304_Firefox.thumb.jpg.e8cf995e37fb0e51353294fe85300517.jpgScreenshot_20210418-181356_Firefox.thumb.jpg.1ffc045d6d5c24d124a3a653daee779e.jpg

its not great but if fans are THAT annoyed by seeing a few logos here and there and that it's taking away their enjoyment of watching athletes playing their favourite sports. Then that's on them for making the decision to be that annoyed by it. It does not affect the play a single bit

Edited by SterioDesign

I agree they'll start small, but I also can see them continuously trying to push to see how far they can take it. The idea of having a Bud Light or Outback Steakhouse logo on the team's jersey just makes me wanna barf...and I don't even really think of myself as a fan of "tradition" or "Principle". If anything in our sport was untouchable by corporate sponsors it should be/have been the jerseys.

• Like 1

How though? Soccer is the biggest sport in the world. They have players getting paid over 100million per season. Yet their teams all have a HUGE logo on t heir shirt bigger than their own logo. 

So in that optic. Why would hockey... not being a top sports in the US could get away with it? Im glad it did obviously but i can also understand why they would have to. Especially after going through the last year where so many teams lost soooooooooo much money

A lot of those Euro teams are a lot smaller in terms of, well, everything.  They have smaller TV deals, smaller arenas, smaller merchandise sales, etc.  Selling advertisements on the ice and on the jerseys is for them to close the gap.

Out of the four major league NA sports, hockey is always fourth in revenue by a decent margin every year.  Their TV deals are definitely smaller than the other leagues, play less games than MLB, their stadiums/arenas have smaller capacities than the other leagues, and they are far more dependent on revenue coming from the gates than the other leagues.  With COVID coming in, there is an incentive from both the owners due to the CBA to find other sources of income to off-set the losses from having few to no fans in games for the foreseeable future.

I think mfitz is right about the size of the patches.  It will likely be small like the one shown on that practice jersey or like the small patches the NBA wears.  It will be negligible.  While I will never say never, I highly doubt the NHL reaches the level of the Euro leagues jerseys simply because NA fans wouldn't stand for it.