2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I said it was a select club.  But Crisis said that no one’s ever done what Marleau’s done.  To use his description, Marleau’s not the only guy to have played “a million games”.  Crisis made it sound like no one else was close.  That’s not accurate.

You know what word he needed...

49466862712_69fda3954e_b.jpg

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I said it was a select club.  But Crisis said that no one’s ever done what Marleau’s done.  To use his description, Marleau’s not the only guy to have played “a million games”.  Crisis made it sound like no one else was close.  That’s not accurate.

Name one other player that has played 1768 games.  I'll hang up and listen.

47 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Name one other player that has played 1768 games.  I'll hang up and listen.

Cmon, you know what my point was.  Like I said, four other players have made it to over 1700 GP.  It's not like Marleau's played in 100+ more games than the next guy trailing him.  You worded it in a way that made it sound like no one else was even close to him.  Yes, if he plays in all of his team's games by season's end, he'll have played in 1779 games.  No one else will have done that, just like no one's reached 1768...but four guys were not far behind him, and in Howe's and Jagr's cases, they easily could've racked up a lot more games had they chose to stay in the NHL, instead of playing elsewhere for a while...Marleau managed to do this because the team that he played for for a long time wasn't trying to win this year and did him a huge favor, and didn't care if Marleau was going to help the team much, or had a whole lot left in the tank (he clearly doesn't...if not for the Sharks, who else was signing him?).  

Like I've said, I respect the fact that he never got hurt and was always able to play and was able to do it for so long that he was able to compile his way into milestone numbers that most H-O-F types put up in a LOT less games.  I respect the hell out of his career...he'll deservedly be Mr. Shark for a long long time, perhaps forever, as he'll have played over 1600 regular season games in that uniform by the time he's done.  I still don't think playing more games than anyone else means you sail on right into the Hall of Fame by default, if you weren't a legit H-O-F talent otherwise.  But like I've said, we'll see what the voters have to say about it.  

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cmon, you know what my point was.  Like I said, four other players have made it to over 1700 GP.  It's not like Marleau's played in 100+ more games than the next guy trailing him.  You worded it in a way that made it sound like no one else was even close to him.  Yes, if he plays in all of his team's games by season's end, he'll have played in 1779 games.  No one else will have done that, just like no one's reached 1768...but four guys were not far behind him, and in Howe's and Jagr's cases, they easily could've racked up a lot more games had they chose to stay in the NHL, instead of playing elsewhere for a while...Marleau managed to do this because the team that he played for for a long time wasn't trying to win this year and did him a huge favor, and didn't care if Marleau was going to help the team much, or had a whole lot left in the tank (he clearly doesn't...if not for the Sharks, who else was signing him?).  

Like I've said, I respect the fact that he never got hurt and was always able to play and was able to do it for so long that he was able to compile his way into milestone numbers that most H-O-F types put up in a LOT less games.  I respect the hell out of his career...he'll deservedly be Mr. Shark for a long long time, perhaps forever, as he'll have played over 1600 regular season games in that uniform by the time he's done.  I still don't think playing more games than anyone else means you sail on right into the Hall of Fame by default, if you weren't a legit H-O-F talent otherwise.  But like I've said, we'll see what the voters have to say about it.  

I understand what you're saying.  I understand that you are putting a lot of his eligibility into point production, and I disagree with you there.  I think that the fact that without the record, he is still in the conversation of whether or not he is deserving (23rd in goals), is important to think about. It's probably a no, but his record is going to be difficult as hell to break, I don't really see anyone over 1000 games in the league right now touching it.  Maybe Kane?  He's 32 and missed about 46 games in 14 seasons.  He just needs to play about another 10 seasons without missing a game.  It's possible, I guess.

Edited by Crisis

44 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I understand what you're saying.  I understand that you are putting a lot of his eligibility into point production, and I disagree with you there.  I think that the fact that without the record, he is still in the conversation of whether or not he is deserving (23rd in goals), is important to think about. It's probably a no, but his record is going to be difficult as hell to break, I don't really see anyone over 1000 games in the league right now touching it.  Maybe Kane?  He's 32 and missed about 46 games in 14 seasons.  He just needs to play about another 10 seasons without missing a game.  It's possible, I guess.

Yeah right now it's just too early to predict...when someone reaches 1700 GP and looks like he still can contribute, then I'll feel like it can be discussed.

Marleau comes up short in some other areas too...never won anything (personal or team), unless you want to count the Olympics.  Should that move the needle?  He's really in a category all his own:  The Ultimate Compiler.  A guy who rarely stood out and wasn't a guy who dominated or was feared, but had an insanely long peak...the strongest argument for him is that he played in a ton of games.  The big question is if you look at the peak years only (I posted those numbers), are those numbers truly H-O-F worthy?  I still think they come up a little short (especially given other players who aren't in)...I would still put Elias in ahead of him, given a choice, and I have Elias as borderline...if he gets in, I'll be happy for him; if he doesn't, I won't feel like it's a horrible travesty.  

If Joe Thornton plays in the rest of his team's games this year, that will take him to 1680...I get the feeling he'll just call it quits...even if somehow he decided to keep going and played in all 82 games next year (hasn't done that in a full season since 2015-16), he's still going to need another year beyond that to have a shot...he'll be 43 by then.  Chara will crack 1600 this season, but can't see him playing 1780 games.  Those are the only two even worth mentioning at this point, and both seem like major longshots.  

I guess that’s good news, although I don’t know why they wouldn’t just plan to start on time rather than a week late. It’s April. Assuming nothing with COVID changes, you should be good to start on time. What do they gain from that week?

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I guess that’s good news, although I don’t know why they wouldn’t just plan to start on time rather than a week late. It’s April. Assuming nothing with COVID changes, you should be good to start on time. What do they gain from that week?

I think they are just being extra cautious. I think one thing we’ve all learned over the past year is that you just never know what’s gonna happen. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious, all things considered.

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I think they are just being extra cautious. I think one thing we’ve all learned over the past year is that you just never know what’s gonna happen. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious, all things considered.

Ok, but how could planning to start a week later 6 months ahead of time accomplish anything?

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They gain an extra week.

Precisely.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gonna be a bit weird not having them on NBC after the last 15 or so years, but it's nice to see they'll still be on a major network, and also they have ESPN starting back up next year as well, so I think the league is in a good position for continued, and additional, exposure.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gonna be a bit weird not having them on NBC after the last 15 or so years, but it's nice to see they'll still be on a major network, and also they have ESPN starting back up next year as well, so I think the league is in a good position for continued, and additional, exposure.  

Barkley will be pushing the NHL during sh!tty basketball games will be hilarious on itself.

• Like 2

Kind of sucks he’s wasting away up in Edmonton. There’s probably a lot of people that only follow eastern teams that never even get to see him. At least with Crosby and Ovi the western Canadian fans got to see them during their deep playoff runs all these years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kind of sucks he’s wasting away up in Edmonton. There’s probably a lot of people that only follow eastern teams that never even get to see him. At least with Crosby and Ovi the western Canadian fans got to see them during their deep playoff runs all these years. 

Better Edmonton than NY or Philly (or anywhere in the East really lol).

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1