2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He has more points than a lot of teams top three point producers combined. 

If you add all of our teams points for the season together you get 332 , if you add Edmonton's top three it's 186. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Kind of sucks he’s wasting away up in Edmonton. There’s probably a lot of people that only follow eastern teams that never even get to see him. At least with Crosby and Ovi the western Canadian fans got to see them during their deep playoff runs all these years. 

Yeah, to me it's still astonishing that he, and Draisital, are absolutely destroying the league, really for the last 2-3 years, maybe longer, and they have almost nothing to show for it.  

I still say us winning that lottery could have changed the NHL. He'd be in the NY market, play big market teams much more and get one of the weaker attendance teams both home and away to become sell outs. 

I really believe the NHL as a whole would be making marketly more money if the Devs got him. It be something to see, considering we've never had a 50 goal scorer or 100pt player. 

What I would'nt give!

Taylor Hall now has 4 G & 3 A in 9 GP for Boston. It’s almost like playing for a truly terrible team holds even the best players back or something... 

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I have no hard feelings towards him. And I’ll never forget that MVP season. Plus, as much as I hate Marchand and Boston, I’d much rather see them make the playoffs over the Rags. Glad he’s doing well up there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Taylor Hall now has 4 G & 3 A in 9 GP for Boston. It’s almost like playing for a truly terrible team holds even the best players back or something... 

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I have no hard feelings towards him. And I’ll never forget that MVP season. Plus, as much as I hate Marchand and Boston, I’d much rather see them make the playoffs over the Rags. Glad he’s doing well up there. 

I’ll always believe there was a chance that Hall could’ve stuck around, but too much simply went wrong (Hall getting hurt, the Devils regressing after making the playoffs in 2017-18, etc).

Gotta be infuriating to be a Sabres fan...they see Hall basically not score for just about all of his time there (and not fetch all that much in return), and then finally the guy’s luck turns completely around in Boston.  I think the Bruins are the perfect team for Hall at this point...I know he turned in a most memorable MVP season here, but he can be more of a really good complementary guy in the right situation.  He may have found that in Boston.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I agree with all of the above. I hold no ill will toward a guy who was traded here not re-signing when we’re this bad. There was almost no reason for him to do that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This is getting annoying. How many different streaming packages are we going to need to watch hockey? I already have HBO MAX, but I’m also going to need ESPN PLUS, now? 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/27/22405964/hbo-max-nhl-live-hockey-turner-sports-warnermedia

I agree with you 100%.  The success of Netflix and the cutting of cords has inevitably led to this - and it's only going to get worse.  The Yankees are already starting to broadcast games over Amazon.  I'm just waiting for every NFL game to become PPV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with all of the above. I hold no ill will toward a guy who was traded here not re-signing when we’re this bad. There was almost no reason for him to do that. 

I'd love to see what Hall might have done in an alternative timeline, had he not gotten hurt in 2018-19.

There's that certain kind of star who stubbornly gets his points, regardless of his situation.  Guys like Crosby, McDavid, Kane...you know that they're finishing at over a PPG even if none of their teammates are even close to that.  

For about a season and a half, that was Hall too.  In 109 games (MVP year and 33 games in 2018-19), he put up 50 G and 80 A in 109 GP.  I'm guessing the guy that was closest to him during that time frame was Hischier, as far as points went...75 points in 113 GP.  Just double-checked and Palms was up there too...77 points in 97 GP.  But clearly there was no one in his neighborhood, as far as point production went.

Just would've loved to see how long he might have kept that up.  He hasn't been that player since (though like I said, he may be a real nice complementary piece for Boston, where he won't have to be that kind of player any more, or face as much pressure trying to be).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I agree with you 100%.  The success of Netflix and the cutting of cords has inevitably led to this - and it's only going to get worse.  The Yankees are already starting to broadcast games over Amazon.  I'm just waiting for every NFL game to become PPV.

And the issue is that it is going to be so fragmented that by the time you buy all the services to get what you want, you end up paying the same, if not more, than what you had previously with traditional cable.

It also doesn't help that cable networks are basically giving up on programming on their own channels.  I was reading an article the other day that pointed out that last week, out of 168 programming hours in a single week, MTV devoted 113 of those hours to just one show: Ridiculousness.  They pretty much have waved the white flag on cable TV programming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Yep. It fvcking sucks.

Still kinda early, but Zajac and Palms haven't worked out for the Isles much at all.  2 G and 2 A combined (10 games for Palms and 9 for Zajac), and the team has gone 4-5-1 since their arrival.  Only 17 goals scored too (shut out 3 times). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Still kinda early, but Zajac and Palms haven't worked out for the Isles much at all.  2 G and 2 A combined (10 games for Palms and 9 for Zajac), and the team has gone 4-5-1 since their arrival.  Only 17 goals scored too (shut out 3 times). 

Zajac was a healthy scratch too. Wonder how many guys have played their 1,000th game and been a healthy scratch in the same season. 

• Haha 1

Not NHL related but at the u-18 WJC top Russian prospect Matvei Michkov has scored three goals so far this game. 

One was the goal above, another was thorough the legs 

Him and Conor Bedard look like very special players. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not NHL related but at the u-18 WJC top Russian prospect Matvie Michkov has scored three goals so far this game. 

One was the goal above, another was thorough the legs 

Him and Conor Bedard look like very special players. 

Sick of guys named Conor/Connor. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:25 PM, mfitz804 said:

Zajac was a healthy scratch too. Wonder how many guys have played their 1,000th game and been a healthy scratch in the same season. 

Looks like Zajac was scratched again last night.  Isles won 4-0 but another pointless game for Palms.  Obviously if he gets hot during the playoffs, the trade can still pay off, but so far, not so good for the Isles.

Palms, Zajac, and Taylor Hall. 

As former Devils players that delivered for the Devils during their career I can only wish them success as they move on in their careers. Taylor has found his confidence and a role that presently suits him. I hope he stays with Boston. Zajac, I can see him retiring after this season unless the Isles offer him something. Palms, if he can, he should try and stay with the Isles. 

Best wishes, guys. 

51 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Palms, Zajac, and Taylor Hall. 

As former Devils players that delivered for the Devils during their career I can only wish them success as they move on in their careers. Taylor has found his confidence and a role that presently suits him. I hope he stays with Boston. Zajac, I can see him retiring after this season unless the Isles offer him something. Palms, if he can, he should try and stay with the Isles. 

Best wishes, guys. 

To be clear I wasn't posting what Zajac and Palms are doing (or not doing) with the Isles out of any kind of spite.  Just pointing out that the deal to date isn't really working out for the Isles (but if either of them get it going soon or during the playoffs, their slow starts as Islanders will be forgotten).

Palms is looking more and more like a guy having an off-year at the worst possible time.  He has "Bet On Myself" one-year written all over him.  

• Like 1