2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

38 minutes ago, titans04 said:

maybe it's time that player safety is lead by a guy who at least had a once of NHL hockey skills in his bag of tricks?  Somebody down the middle of the road when it comes to being a player/fighter type.

Not sure this was posted here if it was I apologize.  Just glad it wasn't one of our Panatin sized skilled guys.

He got the Ole 5k special. 

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

imo Reaves is one guy who by in large stays within the old school code but yet has a field day torturing Wilson every chance he gets.  Reaves is a keeper in my book. It's too bad he's not in the same division.

When I read or listened to an interview with him a few seasons ago when he hit free agency, he was marketing himself as "the solution to your Tom Wilson problem"

So I guess he priced himself out of the east.

5 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Absolute joke that he didn’t get some sort of suspension 

Especially with his history, but even as a first offense that would’ve warranted at least 2 games. For him, maybe 10. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crisis said:

When I read or listened to an interview with him a few seasons ago when he hit free agency, he was marketing himself as "the solution to your Tom Wilson problem"

So I guess he priced himself out of the east.

I heard that he's a funny guy who gets it.

It's unfortunate we don't know any teams around here who have been sitting on cap space for year and could use a guy like him.

59 minutes ago, titans04 said:

maybe it's time that player safety is lead by a guy who at least had a once of NHL hockey skills in his bag of tricks?  Somebody down the middle of the road when it comes to being a player/fighter type.

Not sure this was posted here if it was I apologize.  Just glad it wasn't one of our Panatin sized skilled guys.

Current head is George Parros.  Previous it was Stephane Quintal and before him it was Brendan Shanahan.  That department was a joke even with those guys in charge (a little less so with the Shanahan era but still not good).

The answer to this is to gut and rebuild the entire department of player safety.  It is mostly run by NHL suits along with former players.  The suits have their agenda while the former players have their own.  The former players don't want to piss off their former NHLPA colleagues and guys like Parros are probably feeling the need to cling onto keeping hockey more physical than it should be.

Best thing to do is to just hire someone who has little to no hockey experience or allegiance/history to either side, show them the rule book and go from there.  At least that way they are likely going to be looking at the actions of what is being done and seeing if they have a history.  None of this favoritism towards star players or disregard of past offenses.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The answer to this is to gut and rebuild the entire department of player safety.  It is mostly run by NHL suits along with former players.  The suits have their agenda while the former players have their own.  The former players don't want to piss off their former NHLPA colleagues and guys like Parros are probably feeling the need to cling onto keeping hockey more physical than it should be.

Best thing to do is to just hire someone who has little to no hockey experience or allegiance/history to either side, show them the rule book and go from there.  At least that way they are likely going to be looking at the actions of what is being done and seeing if they have a history.  None of this favoritism towards star players or disregard of past offenses.

Yeah, I don't get why that needs to be a "department". You could pretty much hire a single person with a modicum of common sense, give them the rules, give them access to previous suspensions so they know the guy's history and so they have precedent as to how long a suspension should be. 

I do NOT think it should be a hockey player, or at least not one who has played in the league. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I don't get why that needs to be a "department". You could pretty much hire a single person with a modicum of common sense, give them the rules, give them access to previous suspensions so they know the guy's history and so they have precedent as to how long a suspension should be. 

I do NOT think it should be a hockey player, or at least not one who has played in the league. 

Or just anyone at all connected to the NHL or NHLPA and its members.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Current head is George Parros.  Previous it was Stephane Quintal and before him it was Brendan Shanahan.  That department was a joke even with those guys in charge (a little less so with the Shanahan era but still not good).

Yeah this goes back to 2017 when Parros was named but sums up my thoughts here. The NHL has missed the mark on DPS since it was created back in 2011.

SI DPS Take on Parros Being Named

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Or just anyone at all connected to the NHL or NHLPA and its members.

Its fine, if you want me to do it, I'll do it. Between work and being married and having a teenager, I am used to people being annoyed with me all the time and it barely phases me, so I am uniquely qualified for a job where all of the players would hate me. 

Instead of just Zacha hating me, as things stand now. 

Just now, MB3 said:

for the first time in my life I will say this:

bravo to the New York Rangers for that statement they just put out. publicly calling for George Parros’ head. I’ve never seen a team do something like that in professional sports and it absolutely needed to happen.

Yes it did. He didn’t do his job. If he said the wrong thing about the wrong person on Twitter he would have been immediately fired, but not for being piss poor at his job?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

there has never been more proof to me about how brain dead the DoPS is than when they hired a former goon, who is best friends with several current goons (he was a groomsman at Tom Wilson’s wedding for fvcks sake!) as their head of player safety. 

letting the inmates run the asylum. hope he’s gone, tonight.

He was in his wedding party? That’s fvcking hysterical. He should clearly be fired. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

for the first time in my life I will say this:

bravo to the New York Rangers for that statement they just put out. publicly calling for George Parros’ head. I’ve never seen a team do something like that in professional sports and it absolutely needed to happen.

Same. Hope they never win another game BUT, I admire the hell outta having the balls to send that out. Even though it will have the same impact as pissing into a running fan.

• Like 2

When other teams publicly announce their support of sh!tcanning, I will fully agree with you that in the end the result was more meaningful to the rangers than pissing into the wind albeit while showing support for their own players.

I don't expect in for the league to go after them other than probably a meaningless fine, what I do expect is full on status quo with the league changing nothing at all.

Edited by titans04

23 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I do. I don't care what team a player is on, no one deserves to potentially have their neck broken on a play like that. It looked like he came down with his stick on the back of the guy's neck. 

Just now seeing what transpired yesterday...it's insane.  As much as I hate the Rangers, and I do with a passion just as much as the next Devils fan, what Wilson did is reprehensible. I've said it several times in the recent past, particularly when he's played against us and exhibited similar sh!tty acts, but he is a straight up goon who is the beneficiary of some talented linemates and teammates, and he showed his true self last night.  I don't know if he apologized and I'm definitely someone who believes in forgiveness and second chances, but it's hard to come back from what he did last night.  Punching a guy's head while he's on the ground and has his back turned towards you is pathetic and cowardly.   The guy should be suspended for a long, long time, and frankly, if he does something similar ever again, whether it's tomorrow or 10 seasons from now, he should be banned for life.  It's literally just a matter of time before his reckless behavior hurts someone and injures them permanently. I'm a staunch believer in keeping fighting and physicality in hockey, but what he did last night was outside the rules of the game and deserves not only a 5 minute major but a much harsher and stricter punishment to fit the crime.

I'm a huge Boomer and Gio fan and I hope the Isles and Caps meet in the playoffs so Matty Mart (Boomer's son in law) can whoop the sh!t out of him. It will be a long time coming and very deserved.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

The statement from the Rags: 

C08B35E1-F917-4791-86AE-1D0F5505E6C0.jpeg

fvck the Rags for eternity, but they're 1000% right on that.  George Parros should be fired yesterday.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wilson has clearly learned his lesson

ED908B50-06BC-41F7-B890-2B4DB80D1765.jpeg

It's sort of amazing how they go backwards, after having suspended him 5 times in a row, to just fining him - especially from an act that seems just as dangerous, if not more, than some of his previous acts.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Soapbox rant here:

The incident allegedly happened in 2017. I’m not debating the merits of the victim or the allegations.

What I am going to stress the ever living sh!t out of is REPORT THINGS. I stress this to my airmen, I stressed it to my students, I will stress it to my boys when they are old enough to understand. Report something when it happens so you, the victim, can be protected. Tell someone, anyone you trust, so you (the victim) have support from at least one other human than can go back and say “yeah, it did happen” and can support you through an absolutely brutal time where you feel like you have no one to trust.

i 100% know it’s easier said than done, but victims need all the help they can get, so parents, teach your kiddos to be the advocate for helping, or even be it yourself. Be the person someone can go to and say “this happened to me, I need help.”

At the minimum, it’ll help cut down the time from incident to reporting.

(that, and teach your kids respect, cause lord knows my boys are in deep sh!t if I ever hear them do anything disrespectful)

/rant

• Like 3