2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

30 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Every other team played within those same conditions.  Next.

Every team had a new coaching staff, like 10 rookies and a COVID outbreak? No, they didn’t, so perhaps you should think before being so dismissive. 

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

7 teams played in our division.  We were 2nd to last.  All of those teams faced the other teams 8 times - some of them learned their opponents and how to play against them.  We, apparently, did not.   Next.

If you don’t realize how much harder our division was to play against than the others, I can’t help you. It was 2 sh!t teams that everyone beat up on. 

35 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That happened at the tail-end of the season.  Hardly relevant to the first 75% of the season.

How many games in a row did we lose after the trade? We went 5-13. 18 games out of a 56 game season are pretty relevant, no?

37 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So?  That's only fueling my point.  What happened to the rest of the idiots?  

So obviously something is wrong with a lot of your forwards when Pavel Zacha is your team’s best scorer. 

38 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, it is.  All you did was just list a bunch of things that happened, and somehow created excused for why they should be accepted.  That's like saying your son got a D on his math test, but oh he didn't study, so it's ok.  Yeah, so?  fvcking study next time.  He didn't get a D because he only had 2 days to study, or his pencil wasn't sharp enough.  He didn't study, so he got the grade he got.  You want to blame Covid, a condensed schedule, a retired backup goalie, and justify our terrible overall record, our putrid penalty kill, or abysmal powerplay, and our pathetic home record, go right ahead.  I prefer accountability.  As a fan of this team, I demand it.  I wish our coaching staff/management did as well.  

As anyone who is a parent of a school age child during COVID knows, getting a bad grade on a math test when you literally haven’t been taught in a year and a half isn’t really out of the ordinary. It has nothing to do with studying, it’s like handing you a bar exam and expecting you to pass despite the fact that you never attended law school. 

I know you are one of these guys who think that coaching is to blame for everything, as if the coaching staff’s system is not to score on the power play and not to play defense on the penalty kill. That continues to be a stupid position, and if you want to preach accountability, maybe the players who constantly miss their assignments are more to blame. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Every team had a new coaching staff, like 10 rookies and a COVID outbreak? No, they didn’t, so perhaps you should think before being so dismissive. 

Half of that statement was "condensed schedule, no practices" - so yes, every other team had that.  

If you don’t realize how much harder our division was to play against than the others, I can’t help you. It was 2 sh!t teams that everyone beat up on. 

The point is, why were we one of those 2 sh!tty teams that everyone beat up on?  Because we SUCK.  It's not because of "Covid" or a "condensed schedule".  Our coaches failed us, and our players failed us.  

How many games in a row did we lose after the trade? We went 5-13. 18 games out of a 56 game season are pretty relevant, no?

We were free-falling before that.  If you want to pretend that Palmieri was lighting the lamp every night and Zajac was this offensive powerhouse, feel free, but that's beyond stupid.  Trading them away didn't send our team, or our record, into the gutter.

So obviously something is wrong with a lot of your forwards when Pavel Zacha is your team’s best scorer. 

Right.  That is...my whole point?  You're wanting to blame Covid and the obscurities of this season as the reason why Zacha was our leading scorer, and I want to blame the rest of our forwards, and the coaching staff.  

As anyone who is a parent of a school age child during COVID knows, getting a bad grade on a math test when you literally haven’t been taught in a year and a half isn’t really out of the ordinary. It has nothing to do with studying, it’s like handing you a bar exam and expecting you to pass despite the fact that you never attended law school. 

So when you're homeschooled during Covid that gives you an excuse to not open a book and just accept the fact that you're probably going to get a D?  Man, I guess you have way lower standards than I do.  Me, I make my kids accountable and let them know that, regardless of the circumstances, they're in the same boat as everyone else, and it's up to them to do what they can do try to get an A.  

I know you are one of these guys who think that coaching is to blame for everything, as if the coaching staff’s system is not to score on the power play and not to play defense on the penalty kill. That continues to be a stupid position, and if you want to preach accountability, maybe the players who constantly miss their assignments are more to blame.

I don't think coaching is to blame for everything nor do I  think it's their plan to not score on the powerplay or play defense on the PK, but if they fail to do so, you really think it's ok to give them a free pass on virtually everything, simply because of some outlying conditions, most of which affected all of their peers and not just them?  I don't.  

And in regards to the bold, that's, quite literally, been my position this whole time, so I think you're getting confused.  Your premise has been to blame Covid and all of the irregularities of this season for why we are where we are and why our record sucked, but now you you're saying to hold the players accountable for their missed assignments.   That's exactly what I'm saying.  Our players, and our coaches, SUCKED this season.  Don't blame the schedule, don't blame Covid, don't blame a backup goalie who retired before the season even began.  Or do, I don't really care, but at this point I just don't know what your stance is anymore because you're contradicting yourself.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Half of that statement was "condensed schedule, no practices" - so yes, every other team had that.  

Right, but if you are going to criticize someone’s post, you can’t just pull out a couple of words and say that it’s all wrong. And, not every team had a COVID outbreak so not everyone had as condensed a schedule as we did, so you’re still wrong. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The point is, why were we one of those 2 sh!tty teams that everyone beat up on?  Because we SUCK.  It's not because of "Covid" or a "condensed schedule".  Our coaches failed us, and our players failed us.  

We do suck. The biggest problem was our defense. How many games did we score 3+ goals and lose? Had to be at least a dozen of not more. Again, the whole “bad coaching” thing doesn’t hold a lot of water, and not having practices and having a brand new coaching staff PLUS a bunch of players who never even played NHL hockey before this year was probably all part of it. again, you can’t just pick and choose. 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Right.  That is...my whole point?  You're wanting to blame Covid and the obscurities of this season as the reason why Zacha was our leading scorer, and I want to blame the rest of our forwards, and the coaching staff.  

Yeah, again, tons of rookies, no practices. That’s a huge issue. I don’t know when you think coaches instruct the players, that happens at practice. 

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So when you're homeschooled during Covid that gives you an excuse to not open a book and just accept the fact that you're probably going to get a D?  Man, I guess you have way lower standards than I do.  Me, I make my kids accountable and let them know that, regardless of the circumstances, they're in the same boat as everyone else, and it's up to them to do what they can do try to get an A.  

No, but to think that they’ll understand something from a book without having been taught makes little to no sense. Similar to thinking that our team would know what the coaches want them to do when they don’t have any practices. Moreover, hockey being a team sport, it isn’t really possible to just teach yourself. 

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think coaching is to blame for everything nor do I  think it's their plan to not score on the powerplay or play defense on the PK, but if they fail to do so, you really think it's ok to give them a free pass on virtually everything, simply because of some outlying conditions, most of which affected all of their peers and not just them?  I don't.  

Again, the circumstances weren’t the same. The fact that you decided to ignore the factors I pointed out that we had and most other teams didn’t doesn’t mean it’s not true. Again, more cherry picking. I don’t think saying we need to upgrade our goaltending and defense really counts as “giving a free pass on everything”, does it? 

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

And in regards to the bold, that's, quite literally, been my position this whole time, so I think you're getting confused.  Your premise has been to blame Covid and all of the irregularities of this season for why we are where we are and why our record sucked, but now you you're saying to hold the players accountable for their missed assignments.   That's exactly what I'm saying.  Our players, and our coaches, SUCKED this season.  Don't blame the schedule, don't blame Covid, don't blame a backup goalie who retired before the season even began.  Or do, I don't really care, but at this point I just don't know what your stance is anymore because you're contradicting yourself.

Have you been drinking? The whole debate started with you criticizing my post about upgrading the goaltending and defense. I pointed out a half dozen things, at least half of them had nothing to do with Covid. How am I blaming Covid and irregularities when I am literally talking about upgrading 2/3 or the on the ice puzzle? Your failure to understand that is on you, not me. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Guys stop fighting the season's overrrrrrrr. The pain is stop.

comedy central adam demamp GIF by Workaholics

I don’t know, he’s got an obvious hard-on for going after me, not sure why. He’s not especially good at doing it with credibility, though. 

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, but if you are going to criticize someone’s post, you can’t just pull out a couple of words and say that it’s all wrong. And, not every team had a COVID outbreak so not everyone had as condensed a schedule as we did, so you’re still wrong. 

Actually, several other teams had Covid outbreaks, so no, I'm not wrong.  Go ahead and look back at the season and schedule and see for your self. It appears you need to.

We do suck. The biggest problem was our defense. How many games did we score 3+ goals and lose? Had to be at least a dozen of not more. Again, the whole “bad coaching” thing doesn’t hold a lot of water, and not having practices and having a brand new coaching staff PLUS a bunch of players who never even played NHL hockey before this year was probably all part of it. again, you can’t just pick and choose. 

Of all of the points you're failing miserably at trying to make, this one I can see some merit behind, but again, you're acting as if we are the only young team in the NHL, or the only team with new players.  Every single team, in every single year, drafts new (and young) players who enter the lineup for the first time, and acquire free agents who enter the lineup for the first time.  Yes, this particular season we happened to be one of the youngest teams in the league, but if you want to act as if that's somehow unique to us and it's never ever happened before, and that no other team who's been young has ever achieved success, then by all means go ahead - but, again, that's just foolish. 

Yeah, again, tons of rookies, no practices. That’s a huge issue. I don’t know when you think coaches instruct the players, that happens at practice. 

What exactly makes you think that they had no practices whatsoever this season?  They did have practices.  It might not have been exactly the same or as often during a "regular season", but they held practices and morning skates.  They didn't just hit the ice on gamedays at 7pm, so, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

No, but to think that they’ll understand something from a book without having been taught makes little to no sense. Similar to thinking that our team would know what the coaches want them to do when they don’t have any practices. Moreover, hockey being a team sport, it isn’t really possible to just teach yourself. 

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever because that's assuming that your 8 year old child has never opened a book or been taught anything ever, or that your "NHL caliber players" (your words, not mine) have never touched a hockey puck before.  The fact that you say it isn't possible to teach yourself is quite astonishing.  Wayne Gretzky may not have been who he was solely by playing on a pond by himself, but do you honestly think that dude didn't put in hours upon hours, days, weeks, and YEARS, or practicing by his lonesome, carefully perfecting his craft, whenever he could?  He did, and he was better because of it.  He didn't need constant practice 24/7 in an NHL rink.

Again, the circumstances weren’t the same. The fact that you decided to ignore the factors I pointed out that we had and most other teams didn’t doesn’t mean it’s not true. Again, more cherry picking. I don’t think saying we need to upgrade our goaltending and defense really counts as “giving a free pass on everything”, does it? 

The circumstances, for the most part, were the same.  Every team played 56 games.  Every team played from January through early May.  Every team played in front of little or no fans.  Every team had less practices than normal.  For whatever reason, you still are trying to somehow make the Devils into this special exception and give us a million excuses as to why we failed miserably.  Can't it be that we just sucked? (the players and coaches).    I'm not saying that the entire team is devoid of all talent, or that they won't get any better, but to discredit everything they (failed to) accomplish this season is just a waste of time and turning a blind eye to the reality.  

Have you been drinking? The whole debate started with you criticizing my post about upgrading the goaltending and defense. I pointed out a half dozen things, at least half of them had nothing to do with Covid. How am I blaming Covid and irregularities when I am literally talking about upgrading 2/3 or the on the ice puzzle? Your failure to understand that is on you, not me.

Not yet, but you're driving me to drink because you're pretty thick-headed.  You pointed out half a dozen excuses, not all of them were Covid-related (and I never said they were) - but you're just listing things, most of which are not unique to the Devils as I have rightly pointed out, rather than looking at the talent (or lack thereof) on the ice and behind the bench. 

It's comical that all of a sudden you are talking about upgrading 2/3 of the on-ice puzzle.... that's exactly what I've been getting at lol.  Why, according to your previous arguments and logic, would we need to upgrade any of the team (aside from the backup goalie, of course), if Covid, no practices, condensed schedule are the reason(s) for our struggles this year?  Yeah, exactly.  You're all over the map tonight man.  Take a 30 minute break and come back, please. lol

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know, he’s got an obvious hard-on for going after me, not sure why. He’s not especially good at doing it with credibility, though. 

Not at all, I'm just trying to understand what's going on in your crazy mind.  It's like a science experiment.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Actually, several other teams had Covid outbreaks, so no, I'm not wrong.  Go ahead and look back at the season and schedule and see for your self. It appears you need to.

A couple of teams did. You said they all did. Maybe you need to check. 

Of all of the points you're failing miserably at trying to make, this one I can see some merit behind, but again, you're acting as if we are the onyl young team in the NHL, or the only team with new players.  Every single team, in every single year, drafts new (and young) players who enter the lineup for the first time, and acquire free agents who enter the lineup for the first time.  Yes, this particular season we happened to be one of the youngest teams in the league, but if you want to act as if that's somehow unique to us and it's never ever happened before, and that no other team whos been young has ever achieved success, then by all means go ahead - but, again, that's just foolish. 

Most inexperienced team in terms of games played by half once the vets were traded. I think it’s pretty unique to have so many rookies in one season. I think if you looked into it, you would too. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What exactly makes you think that they have no practices whatsoever this season?  They did have practices.  It might not have been exactly the same or as often during a "regular season", but they held practices and morning skates.  They didn't just hit the ice on gamedays at 7pm, so, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

I didn’t say they never practiced, but it’s welldocumented they weren’t having many full practices. Now you’re just trying to split hairs. 

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever because that's assuming that your 8 year old child has never opened a book or been taught anything ever, or that your "NHL caliber players" (your words, not mine) have never touched a hockey puck before.  The fact that you say it isn't possible to teach yourself is quite astonishing.  Wayne Gretzky may not have been who he was solely by playing on a pond by himself, but do you honestly think that dude didn't put in hours upon hours, days, weeks, and YEARS, or practicing by his lonesome, carefully perfecting his craft, whenever he could?  He did, and he was better because of it.  He didn't need constant practice 24/7 in an NHL rink.

This take could not be any stupider. That’s your example, perhaps the single most talented player in the history of the game? You’re right, we didn’t have a Gretzky level talent on this roster. Obviously EVERY NHL player has done that, that’s how you make the NHL. Yet how many turn out even close to like Gretzky, maybe 5 guys in history?? So dumb. 

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The circumstances, for the most part, were the same.  Every team played 56 games.  Every team played from January through early May.  Every team played in front of little or no fans.  Every team had less practices than normal.  For whatever reason, you still are trying to somehow make the Devils into this special exception and give us a million excuses as to why we failed miserably.  Can't it be that we just sucked? (the players and coaches).    I'm not saying that the entire team is devoid of all talent, or that they won't get any better, but to discredit everything they (failed to) accomplish this season is just a waste of time and turning a blind eye to the reality.  

Not yet, but you're driving me to drink because you're pretty thick-headed.  You pointed out half a dozen excuses, not all of them were Covid-related (and I never said they were) - but you're just listing things, most of which are not unique to the Devils as I have rightly pointed out, rather than looking at the talent (or lack thereof) on the ice and behind the bench. 

You’re still wrong for the multiple reasons I stated that you ignored. 

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's comical that all of a sudden you are talking about upgrading 2/3 of the on-ice puzzle.... that's exactly what I've been getting at lol.  Why, according to your previous arguments and logic, would we need to upgrade any of the team (aside from the backup goalie, of course), if Covid, no practices, condensed schedule are the reason(s) for our struggles this year?  Yeah, exactly.  You're all of the map tonight man.  Take a 30 minute break and come back, please. lol

My original post that you criticized 5 words from said we need to upgrade our wings, defense and backup goalie. How am I “suddenly” talking about upgrading when it was in my initial fvcking post but you ignored most of it because you can’t form or win an argument without being a cherry picker? It was right there, in post #1, nothing happened suddenly. You decided that I only wanted to upgrade the backup goalie because that was the only argument you could win. It’s not my point you are too fvcking stupid to read full posts. 

The point is, only YOU are saying I said only upgrade the backup. Only YOU think I said Covid is to blame. You need to learn to read better, maybe that 8 year old from your math example can help you. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A couple of teams did. You said they all did. Maybe you need to check. 

Most inexperienced team in terms of games played by half once the vets were traded. I think it’s pretty unique to have so many rookies in one season. I think if you looked into it, you would too. 

I didn’t say they never practiced, but it’s welldocumented they weren’t having many full practices. Now you’re just trying to split hairs. 

This take could not be any stupider. That’s your example, perhaps the single most talented player in the history of the game? You’re right, we didn’t have a Gretzky level talent on this roster. Obviously EVERY NHL player has done that, that’s how you make the NHL. Yet how many turn out even close to like Gretzky, maybe 5 guys in history?? So dumb. 

You’re still wrong for the multiple reasons I stated that you ignored. 

My original post that you criticized 5 words from said we need to upgrade our wings, defense and backup goalie. How am I “suddenly” talking about upgrading when it was in my initial fvcking post but you ignored most of it because you can’t form or win an argument without being a cherry picker? It was right there, in post #1, nothing happened suddenly. You decided that I only wanted to upgrade the backup goalie because that was the only argument you could win. It’s not my point you are too fvcking stupid to read full posts. 

The point is, only YOU are saying I said only upgrade the backup. Only YOU think I said Covid is to blame. You need to learn to read better, maybe that 8 year old from your math example can help you. 

See, you're confused.  That is in a different thread pal lol.

In this thread, you said this:

Yes, it is. Condensed schedule, no practices with a (mostly) new staff and half a new team, and your starting goalie couldn’t breathe right for most of the season. And other guys probably had similar issues. 

Then, you played only against teams from one division,  and ours happened to be a hard division. 

You had AHL quality guys as your backup goalies because the guy you signed retired at the last minute. 

You traded away your veteran forwards and maybe the best defensive defenseman at the time. 

And Pavel fvcking Zacha led the team in points. 

That’s the season you want to judge things based on? Sure, little things you can say. Jack was better. Vatanen sucked. But to think you’re in any kind of position to judge this team based on its lack of success under all of those factors really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

I've already pointed out why most of those things are wrong, stupid, mis-guided, or all of the above.  I'm not going to do it again.  I suggest you re-read it so that you'll understand for the future.  Either way, enjoy the rest of your evening.

See, you're confused.  That is in a different thread pal lol.

In this thread, you said this:

I've already pointed out why most of those things are wrong, stupid, mis-guided, or all of the above.  I'm not going to do it again.  I suggest you re-read it so that you'll understand for the future.  Either way, enjoy the rest of your evening.

And I pointed out your cherry picking, misquoting, and trying to attribute things to me that I didn’t say. 

Have a good night and go fvck yourself. 

In other news, Brian Leetch has jumped off the NYR ship. 

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/brian-leetch-resigns-from-job-as-a-rangers-adviser/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's great to see those idiots in such turmoil.  Their own legendary players at odds with members within their organization.  I can only assume Leetch had differing opinions with Drury and wasn't pleased to see any of Davidson/Gorton/Quinn given the boot.

Turmoil? How's our assistant coaching staff looking?  Leetch was a handshaking suit who had no meaningful role. I'll wait to see who they get as a head coach first before laughing.  Can't see how they can do worse than Quinn and there's a ton of quality coaches on their list to interview. No Ruff's to be considered would be my guess after Quinn.

In general I mean when it's all said and done they'll have a much better coach than Quinn and Drury is widely respected across the league. With an owner who expects to win now not crawl along down the road. I would settle for that turmoil. 

Edited by titans04

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Turmoil? How's our assistant coaching staff looking?  Leetch was a handshaking suit who had no meaningful role. I'll wait to see who they get as a head coach first before laughing.  Can't see how they can do worse than Quinn and there's a ton of quality coaches on their list to interview. No Ruff's to be considered would be my guess after Quinn.

I didn't say we were in any better of a position, but I absolutely love and will relish any chance we get to make fun of our most hated rivals.

I just mean in the sense that it doesn't seem like a very good look when their beloved defenseman who has his jersey hanging in the rafters abruptly leaves days after the owner gives pink slips to all three of the president, GM, and head coach.  

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I didn't say we were in any better of a position, but I absolutely love and will relish any chance we get to make fun of our most hated rivals.

I just mean in the sense that it doesn't seem like a very good look when their beloved defenseman who has his jersey hanging in the rafters abruptly leaves days after the owner gives pink slips to all three of the president, GM, and head coach.  

Yup, enjoying the plight of the Rangers is definitely a right of being a (an occasionally long-suffering) Devils fan. Doesn’t matter if they are better than us, I enjoy their failures. Firing your President straight down to the coach during a rebuild is exactly that, a giant failure. 

We should know. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, enjoying the plight of the Rangers is definitely a right of being a (an occasionally long-suffering) Devils fan. Doesn’t matter if they are better than us, I enjoy their failures. Firing your President straight down to the coach during a rebuild is exactly that, a giant failure. 

We should know. 

Exactly.  I mean, when nothing else is going our way, making fun of the Rags is all we have to fall back on.  And yeah, so many people who aren't even hardcore hockey fans have been talking about the Rangers this week and how it seems, even to an outsiders point of view, that they basically took a sledgehammer to their org chart (and for no reason, too)

• Like 2

Because it's the off season and I'm bored. There was a reason the owner believed the team was underachieving. He was no longer content with status quo. Depending on who you believe one scenario is JD fell on his sword when Dolan cleaned out Gorton who had mixed reviews. Getting physically steamrolled and embarrassed by the isles was the last straw for Dolan. I would also bet Drury wasn't given an option as far as Quinn. In the end give me a owner who doesn't accept losing as easily and I would be happier. Also like I said before they're coming out of it with Drury and I would bet Gallant or the coach of their choice. That's a trade I would make all day. Leech, Richards, Glass and I think Ruutu could of actually been expected to work. If Leech was butt hurt over Quinn and JD so be it. Hell I would trade our assistants for the ones they threw in the trash all day long but no thanks we're fine nothing to see here. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Three years ago the Rangers actually released a letter for their fans to understand they were going to blow things up and rebuild from scratch, and to do so the proper non-shortcut way. 

Today they have one of the best prospect systems and have been trending upwards and been a model for how to do an accelerated rebuild the right way. They have been the exact opposite of status quo, continuously evolving to the point where in three short years (2 if you exclude the covid season) they went from complete blowup to a healthy organization ready to compete for playoff spots and more.

All these firings have nothing to do with an owner who is tired of losing but an owner who is simply insane. He has risked setting them back years. Who would sign up for that?

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

I mean, ridiculously rich people used to throw money at problems not getting what they want fast enough and not able to just buy success cause the system doesnt work that way and having knee jerk reactions. That'd be a first. 

I mean. We see it on a small scale in here with a few season tickets holder who think they DESERVE team success cause they drop lots of money on the team. That's simply not how it works lol And those guys would certainly fire the whole staff and players here and there through the season if they could.

Edited by SterioDesign

22 minutes ago, devlman said:

Three years ago the Rangers actually released a letter for their fans to understand they were going to blow things up and rebuild from scratch, and to do so the proper non-shortcut way. 

Today they have one of the best prospect systems and have been trending upwards and been a model for how to do an accelerated rebuild the right way. They have been the exact opposite of status quo, continuously evolving to the point where in three short years (2 if you exclude the covid season) they went from complete blowup to a healthy organization ready to compete for playoff spots and more.

All these firings have nothing to do with an owner who is tired of losing but an owner who is simply insane. He has risked setting them back years. Who would sign up for that?

I hate i admit it but the smartest thing the Rangers did was exactly that. At some point realizing the group they had was not going to get it done. And they started a rebuild/retool. While many of those guys were still young and had value. Were able to make trades and get good picks and prospects out of that. They didn't run the team to the ground with a desperate and delusional mentality that "once you're in you never know", with a bunch of 35+ over the hill vet and patch work.

I really really really wish we had a management then who could have been that smart and not stubborn like a mule. 

edit: yes i know this will trigger the kool aid drinkers. Still a fact though.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I hate i admit it but the smartest thing the Rangers did was exactly that. At some point realizing the group they had was not going to get it done. And they started a rebuild/retool. While many of those guys were still young and had value. Were able to make trades and get good picks and prospects out of that. They didn't run the team to the ground with a desperate and delusional mentality that "once you're in you never know", with a bunch of 35+ over the hill vet and patch work.

I really really really wish we had a management then who could have been that smart and not stubborn like a mule. 

edit: yes i know this will trigger the kool aid drinkers. Still a fact though.

No offense but what do you mean ‘you hate to admit it’? You admit ‘it’ (we all know what ‘it’ means here) every other post lol. You even edited your post to antagonize the very few who would actually disagree. What’s the point in that? That said, very few would disagree that rebuilding has to be done at a certain time and that it has to be done the right way.

Edited by devlman

Rangers have the added benefit that players actually want to play there no matter what their record is.  In fact, it is to the point where the players take less money just to play there.  The Rangers would look a bit different if they didn't have guys like Fox, Panarin, etc.

Devils can not attract these higher end UFA simply because of where we are.  Even in the days of being a powerhouse the top-tier UFA were not exactly bursting down our doors to sign with us.  This is why it is critical for Devils to be one of the better teams at drafting as well as making bold trades.  Help is not coming from UFA for the Devils.

Dolan is a first class dick.

Dolan also said he expected to be further along and there were too many games this season where they didn't show up and he pointed to the Islander games as ones that essentially broke the camels back, games where they collectively got run over.  So yeah they are now in a great position to deal some assets to fill in some glaring gaps.  Assets that they can spare.  He wasn't a fan of icing a complete bunch of clams especially once Trouba went out.  Even a dick like Dolan could see they were babysh!t soft going into the season and Gorton did nothing about it. I would bet Drury does so after significantly upgrading the coach.  But I'll get onboard with laughing at the off ice stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with anything but that. 

Dolan is still a first class dick.

21 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Dolan is a first class dick.

Dolan also said he expected to be further along and there were too many games this season where they didn't show up and he pointed to the Islander games as ones that essentially broke the camels back, games where they collectively got run over.  So yeah they are now in a great position to deal some assets to fill in some glaring gaps.  Assets that they can spare.  He wasn't a fan of icing a complete bunch of clams especially once Trouba went out.  Even a dick like Dolan could see they were babysh!t soft going into the season and Gorton did nothing about it. I would bet Drury does so after significantly upgrading the coach.  But I'll get onboard with laughing at the off ice stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with anything but that. 

Dolan is still a first class dick.

Well if you're gonna be a d!ck, you might as well be first class.