2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, paying your 28 year old former 1OA only $5m AAV is already kind of painful, it means they probably failed to live up to their potential. 

He scored the same amount of points this season as our "best player" Pavel Zacha.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A little over 5M AVV for RNH.  Not bad value though that takes him into about 36 years old.  Hopefully those last few years aren't painful.

He doesn't play a very physical game and he's been pretty good on injuries so far in his career. I think they'll get the miles out of him. 36 is rough but they can always Marian Hossa him those last 2 to 3 years with a sudden allergy if they have to. 

I wonder if he took less money to win with McDavid and Draisaitl. 

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

5 years and 16 minutes ago

That was such a great day and specifically like a two hour period where they announced the Larsson/Hall trade, the Weber/Subban deal, that Stamkos wasn't going to Toronto and would re-sign in Tampa and the Seth Jones extension.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That was such a great day and specifically like a two hour period where they announced the Larsson/Hall trade, the Weber/Subban deal, that Stamkos wasn't going to Toronto and would re-sign in Tampa and the Seth Jones extension.    

I remember I was working at a CVS at the time, got there a few minutes before my shift and smoked a joint behind the building while scrolling through Oilers rage-tweets. That was a great day. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We’ve never been privy to the status of any coach’s contract, so it’s nothing new. 

I guess I never paid attention. 

28 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

5 years and 16 minutes ago

Insert Nick Merkley instead of Taylor Hall and I'd do that right now lol. 

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I look forward to muting and not paying attention to the majority of these people.

Gonna be entertaining when this ends up being so bad that people flip flop and start reminiscing about how good the NBC coverage was lol

Just skimming through the names, it seems like a decent amount of carry-overs from NBC.  I think it just comes down into how much time and money ESPN decides to invest in it.  Judging by how much they paid for the rights, I don't think they will put it on the back-burner like that had even back when they had games on.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I look forward to muting and not paying attention to the majority of these people.

Gonna be entertaining when this ends up being so bad that people flip flop and start reminiscing about how good the NBC coverage was lol

Most of those people are from NBC🤣

29 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

By the way the guy Bob Wischusin that’ll be working for espn is from Westfield. I grew up a block away from him. I think he eventually went to a private school though.

He is a good football announcer- Wischusin does college football for ESPN, as well as being the Jets’ radio PBP guy. I’ve never heard him do hockey before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, paying your 28 year old former 1OA only $5m AAV is already kind of painful, it means they probably failed to live up to their potential. 

I think it's equally about the flat cap and deals being down noticeably AAV wise at least.  Probably why the long term on this one, I doubt the Oilers ideally were hoping for a 8 year deal.  I think it was Friedman who wrote something recently that news deals were expected to be down about 11-12%. 

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I think it's equally about the flat cap and deals being down noticeably AAV wise at least.  Probably why the long term on this one, I doubt the Oilers ideally were hoping for a 8 year deal.  I think it was Friedman who wrote something recently that news deals were expected to be down about 11-12%. 

I’m sure. Ideally I would like to pay Jack and Nico a small fortune when they are 28, hoping that they have earned same. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m sure. Ideally I would like to pay Jack and Nico a small fortune when they are 28, hoping that they have earned same. 

It's a good time for teams to leverage the lower cap if they can extend young guys out for long term deals at these discounted AAV's.  Especially knowing the cap will almost assuredly rise in a couple of years.

Well it will at least help those teams that are up against the cap anyway. Not us necessarily.