2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Imagine having Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hall, and Nylander all on one team and STILL winning nothing…

I mean I guess they pretty much did that this year minus the Hall part, but still…

I don't know how they will fit Hall (even at a reduced AAV from what he is currently making) and all of those other players under the cap.  Unless they intend on bringing in Hall and trading away Marner or Nylander to pickup help on D or future assets, it doesn't make sense. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Imagine having Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hall, and Nylander all on one team and STILL winning nothing…

I mean I guess they pretty much did that this year minus the Hall part, but still…

That team needs defense and they are trying to sign Hall. They don’t need Hall. Not even a little bit. I’m becoming more convinced every day that Shanny and Dubas have no idea what they’re doing. 

8 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't know how they will fit Hall (even at a reduced AAV from what he is currently making) and all of those other players under the cap.  Unless they intend on bringing in Hall and trading away Marner or Nylander to pickup help on D or future assets, it doesn't make sense. 

They always find a way. 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:40 AM, MB3 said:

What do you guys think it would take to acquire Tkachuk? He’s got one year left before he’s a RFA expecting a BIG time contract and the Devils can obviously afford that. 

It probably starts with Holtz, right? Does Holtz + Islanders 1st + B-level prospect get it done? 

I get the feeling they'd want the 4th pick overall.  I think Guadana's scenario is pretty fair.

I don't have tons to base this on (outside of Holtz not really scoring all the much to date, but doesn't turn 20 until January 2022), but I get the feeling the time to deal Holtz might be now...I just have this feeling he's not going to be anything special.  And Tkachuk is a legit NHLer about to enter his prime years. 

Is he actually available?   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling they'd want the 4th pick overall.  I think Guadana's scenario is pretty fair.

I don't have tons to base this on (outside of Holtz not really scoring all the much to date, but doesn't turn 20 until January 2022), but I get the feeling the time to deal Holtz might be now...I just have this feeling he's not going to be anything special.  And Tkachuk is a legit NHLer about to enter his prime years. 

Is he actually available?   

There have been reports he wants out of Calgary, so he may be. Apparently he wants to go to St. Louis, because home. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

There have been reports he wants out of Calgary, so he may be. Apparently he wants to go to St. Louis, because home. 

Well Marty used to work in St. Louis and has a home there, so isn’t it kind of the same if he plays in New Jersey?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Literally everyone should be on board with packaging Holtz for Tkachuk. The question is how much more would it take. 

It would be something like #4, Holtz, Nolan Foote, and one of Okhotyuk/Bahl/Walsh. I’m guessing there, but I think I may be close on the value lol

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I just feel like we should use that #4 pick rather than trading it. Not sure why, probably not the way to look at it, more of a gut feeling. 

I agree. But if we trade for a young cornerstone type of player, #4 is our most tradeable asset. 

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It would be something like Holtz, #4, Nolan Foote, and one of Okhotyuk/Bahl/Walsh. I’m guessing there, but I think I may be close on the value lol

Yeah sounds about right...sounds like a lot at first, but the Devils are getting the only proven quantity in the deal.  Gotta give to get.  Tkachuk should give the Devils 6-7 years of solid production. 

I'll add that I think in your scenario, the Devils are giving up enough to get a couple of mid-round picks back...say a 2nd in this year's draft, a 3rd in next year's...something like that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah sounds about right...sounds like a lot at first, but the Devils are getting the only proven quantity in the deal.  Gotta give to get.  Tkachuk should give the Devils 6-7 years of solid production. 

I'll add that I think in your scenario, the Devils are giving up enough to get a couple of mid-round picks back...say a 2nd in this year's draft, a 3rd in next year's...something like that.

The thing I love about Tkachuk is that he is like Pep in that he’s the type of player that you love when he’s on your team, and you absolutely loathe if he’s on any other team. He would give Rag and Flyer fans hives. And he scores, so he’s basically Brad Marchand. THAT is what this team needs- scoring and sandpaper. Matthew Tkachuk brings both. One-stop shop. It would be amazing to acquire him, which is probably why it will never happen lol

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The thing I love about Tkachuk is that he is like Pep in that he’s the type of player that you love when he’s on your team, and you absolutely loathe if he’s on any other team. He would give Rag and Flyer fans hives. And he scores, so he’s basically Brad Marchand. THAT is what this team needs- scoring and sandpaper. Matthew Tkachuk brings both. One-stop shop. It would be amazing to acquire him, which is probably why it will never happen lol

If the Devils somehow dealt for Tkachuk AND signed Coleman...I'd consider that a hell of an offseason.  If they managed to sign Hamilton on top of that, I'd probably die of shock.  Then the Devils can talk about weaponizing cap space all they want...they'll have actually done it. 

Of those three, I'd say they maaaaaaybe sign Coleman.  Either of the other two, I'd give a 5% chance of happening.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils somehow dealt for Tkachuk AND signed Coleman...I'd consider that a hell of an offseason.  If they managed to sign Hamilton on top of that, I'd probably die of shock.  Then the Devils can talk about weaponizing cap space all they want...they'll have actually done it. 

I'm not sure we'd have had a better offseason in recent memory. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure we'd have had a better offseason in recent memory. 

1991 saw the Devils draft Niedermayer AND land Scott Stevens as compensation.  Also landed Stephane Richer.  For some reason that's the one that's jumping out at me as a "Holy Sh!t" kind of offseason.  But yeah, can't think of any offhand that would rival a Tkachuk, Coleman, and Hamilton off-season.

il_570xN.1148420917_iwbc.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Devils make a big splash in free agency every few years so fingers crossed. I am hesitant though. I think the owners don't understand player development from a hockey perspective. I think they believe hockey players can develop just like basketball players.

What makes you think this?

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

1991 saw the Devils draft Niedermayer AND land Scott Stevens as compensation.  Also landed Stephane Richer.  For some reason that's the one that's jumping out at me as a "Holy Sh!t" kind of offseason.  But yeah, can't think of any offhand that would rival a Tkachuk, Coleman, and Hamilton off-season.

il_570xN.1148420917_iwbc.jpg

You know you (we) are old when 1991 qualifies as “recent memory”. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You know you (we) are old when 1991 qualifies as “recent memory”. 

Lmao I was thinking the same thing as I wrote it.  1991 doesn't feel like it was soooooo long ago...but it was!